LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Seattle's Bruce Irvin suspended

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Janitor:
or he could have just said that to make people THINK it was "just" adderall

Exactly. He can say or suggest whatever the hell he wants. I would do the same honestly... look at what getting busted for steroid use has done to other athletes
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by 5280High:
First Irvin specifically referenced "without medical exemption" ...
That leaves two options, adderol or testosterone replacement therapy. As he isn't 30 yet and i honestly dont even know if the NFL allows for TRT... it has to be adderol. The generic name for adderol is amphetamine salts, the same family as methamphetamine though molecular different which is why it can be offered for its mental health benefits.

Offseason or inseason, adderol will keep you focused and driven to perform, which is why it is the epidome of ruhtardedness to not pay your $20 copay to get an RX for the most commonly prescribed drug for ADHD.

So my question is, what would he need to be focused on to perform in the off season, to the point he felt he needed artificial inhancements? it's the off season, other than working out, you're not doing anything.... that is why i think it's some form of steroids.. he put on almost 20 some pounds of muscle in the off season already, how do you do that naturally, when you're already 6'3" 240+ lbs... when i first heard he was up over 260lbs my first reaction was, oh sh*t, how'd he do that..

He might have been using both, the roids for bulking up and the adderol to keep him focused and motivated on working out.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He might have been using both, the roids for bulking up and the adderol to keep him focused and motivated on working out.

I thought another poster noted that Adderall is used to expel the elements of steroids (e.g. it flushes the system out within a week so it's less detectable). Didn't the Holmgren article reference this as well? Need to go read again...but we have some Docs in here.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM ]
So my question is, what would he need to be focused on to perform in the off season, to the point he felt he needed artificial inhancements? it's the off season, other than working out, you're not doing anything.... that is why i think it's some form of steroids.. he put on almost 20 some pounds of muscle in the off season already, how do you do that naturally, when you're already 6'3" 240+ lbs... when i first heard he was up over 260lbs my first reaction was, oh sh*t, how'd he do that..

could of used them to help keep him focused on studying (film and playbook)
Originally posted by Sims84:

could of used them to help keep him focused on studying (film and playbook)

Or to focus on not committing robberies.
Adderall acts as speed in someone who does not suffer from adhd. I used it for that reason a time or two when I was a young dumb teenager. Crush into a powder and up the nose and you are jacked up far more than coke or meth imo.

IF it is "only adderall" there is still a huge performance edge vs guys who don't take anything, huge. I personally doubt that's the case though and I assume they are testing positive for steroids and saying it's adderall which is the publicly accepted ped.
First Irvin specifically referenced "without medical exemption" ...
That leaves two options, adderol or testosterone replacement therapy. As he isn't 30 yet and i honestly dont even know if the NFL allows for TRT... it has to be adderol. The generic name for adderol is amphetamine salts, the same family as methamphetamine though molecular different which is why it can be offered for its mental health benefits.

Offseason or inseason, adderol will keep you focused and driven to perform, which is why it is the epidome of ruhtardedness to not pay your $20 copay to get an RX for the most commonly prescribed drug for ADHD.

Well adderol is also similar to ephedra... I had a prescription for adderol through college and the first few years of work. While ephedra was a fat burner it also made you work out like a mad man, so all one needs to do to gain weight is just out-eat the calories burned. Which wouldnt be hard doing anaerobic exercises. Adderol is the same way... take 10-20mg and go to the gym and you will work out similar to how ephedra made you work.

However I personally dont think he is taking adderol for the workout benefits. It becomes a mental crutch when you take it for a long period of time and you start just wanting to take it to always be "on your game". My guess would be (if it is adderol) that he started taking it last season to learn the play book and be on his game mentally, but now feels the need to take it to always be "on his game." I believe the life of it even being detectable via piss drug test is about 5 days, so to me that means he was habitually takin it.
Well adderol is also similar to ephedra... I had a prescription for adderol through college and the first few years of work. While ephedra was a fat burner it also made you work out like a mad man, so all one needs to do to gain weight is just out-eat the calories burned. Which wouldnt be hard doing anaerobic exercises. Adderol is the same way... take 10-20mg and go to the gym and you will work out similar to how ephedra made you work.

However I personally dont think he is taking adderol for the workout benefits. It becomes a mental crutch when you take it for a long period of time and you start just wanting to take it to always be "on your game". My guess would be (if it is adderol) that he started taking it last season to learn the play book and be on his game mentally, but now feels the need to take it to always be "on his game." I believe the life of it even being detectable via piss drug test is about 5 days, so to me that means he was habitually takin it.

Interesting thoughts.

What I wonder is . . .
If adderall is really what he was taking, why wouldn't he go through the proper channels in order to ensure they can use it without consequence? Is it that difficult to get a prescription and have it "blessed" by the league?
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:

Interesting thoughts.

What I wonder is . . .
If adderall is really what he was taking, why wouldn't he go through the proper channels in order to ensure they can use it without consequence? Is it that difficult to get a prescription and have it "blessed" by the league?

Im right with ya there. Like it literally takes nothing to get a prescription... Google symptoms for ADHD, go tell your doc you have those symptoms and they will either start you on dexedrin, ritalin, or adderol. I actually have ADHD since childhood so I just told them to look up my history and then handed it to me for a $5 prescription. But ill let my buddies try it if we go out drinking or are super hungover and need to be productive... but its definitly a noticeable difference. Like I get calm and focuses while they start acting like they are on coke.

In terms of the league, its hard to imagine that they could refute anything a medical doctor determines necessary for their patient, and its not like a miracle drug... you still gotta put in the work. It's certainly not as bad as Testosterone Replacement Therapy which is now rampant throughout MMA and BJJ competitions, basically legal steroids and that definitely gives people unfair advantages.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The major issue I see with the idea of athletes using Adderall for energy to work out is that it can damage your heart.

All amphetamines were synthesized from the Ephedra plant. However, there are many types of amphetamine, ranging from powerful stimulants to empathogens. The drug ecstasy (MDMA) is an amphetamine. So, you shouldn't ever assume that because two chemicals are similar that they will produce the same results.

Adderall is a mixture of two dextroamphetamines and two racemic amphetamines. The d-amphetamine is the more potent, but shorter lived. The racemic mixtures have a longer half-life, but are less potent and also have a greater effect the peripheral nervous system. (Dexedrine is pure d-amphetamine, BTW.) D-amphetamine has a greater effect on the peripheral nervous system than methamphetamine, but is roughly equipotent.

Basically, this means that in order to have the same level of stimulant effect as methamphetamine, you would need to need to take about 25% more Adderall. However, doing this will ramp up your heart even more than that 25% dosage increase.

The risk for athletes should be lower because they tend to have excellent cardiovascular health, with far lower resting heart rates than the average person. It's still not something I would recommend without consulting a physician. There are heart disorders that only manifest under extreme stress. I happen to have one of those disorders and also take Adderall. I can tell you from personal experience that having a heart rate in excess of 220 BPM is not a pleasant experience. I don't even know how high it got because machines couldn't read it anymore and it was too fast to hand time.

Even without an existing heart disorder, you still risk damaging your heart.

If he wasn't on steroids, those 20lbs he gained are NOT all muscle.
Share 49ersWebzone