Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Criminally underused? Please, he was a 4th round pick who isn't particularly fast an was injured. He has played like a 4th round pick. I like Quinton, but realize he is what he is. One thing you can't argue is Harbs is about competition an the best player plays. Quinton was not that. He will get his chance as you say to prove everyone wrong including me.

I don't buy that. Not from what we saw. Harbaugh and his coaches were very much favoring vets and the young guys weren't getting much of an opportunity unless it was clear they were better or there was nobody ahead of them to hold them back.

Crabtree was terrible last year yet he kept starting. Stevie Johnson was hardly used despite playing very well when given the chance. Vernon Davis was awful last year and he kept starting. Brandon Lloyd who was an old one trick pony got playing time over Patton as well..and that's with Harbaugh claiming that Patton was going off in practice.

So how exactly is that about best players playing?

I disagree.

Harbaugh put a young Bowman out there, rookie Bruce Miller converted DE started as a rookie, a very raw second year inexpeprienced Kap was thrust into the starting role in a super bowl run took over ffor a solid Alex Smith, Culliver got lots of playing time as a rookie, Hunter got lots of playing time as a rookie, Reid started as a rookie, Aldon got considerable playing time as a rookie and made an impact. And there are more. The best players played.

Patton has some work to do to get playing time this year also. Just because Patton couldn't beat out the WRs we had, blaming that on JH is unfair.

Bowman was a GM decision, as Baalke chose not to re-sign Spikes, who had started the previous year.

Miller didn't play until Norris got injured, then Baalke cut Norris once he was healthy.

Kap played because Smith was injured. He proved IN GAMES to be more dynamic than Smith. Harbaugh was paraphrased as saying that Kap play surprised him.

Cully played because Brock was hurt.

Hunter played because Frank was beat up throughout the season, and they wanted him rested for the post season. Hunter took his few initial reps and earned more time IN GAMES.

Reid started because Goldson walked, and there was not a single other FS worthy of starting an NFL game on the roster (Craig Dahl? )

Aldon was a top 7 pick athletic freak, and he didn't start as a rookie.

IIRC ,every rookie who played has either been a first round pick or has been thrust into a role by injuries. The look they got in practice never seemed to fortell the work they earned on the field.

Spot on WRATH!

Agree with all except the Kap comment.

I think Harbaugh was looking for a way to insert his QB into the starting lineup. Smith was playing very well until he got concussed. You just don't bench a guy like that after 1 game. That was intentional in my opinion.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
It was just really a matter of time before Harbaugh gives Kaep the job.. And when the perfect time came along, Smith not playing due to concussion, Kaep just really capitalized and played superbly enough that Harbaugh made him the starter officially..

But as far as playing the young guys, there was no doubt that this is one of the reason why Harbaugh and Baalke did not see eye to eye... many times Baalke had mentioned that (specially on defense) that we had enough body on the DL to keep the starter healthy and fresh in each games, that Fangio just had to use them..

As for Patton, we'll never know how good he really was the past few years.. he's gotten injured and he never got the chance he deserved..

This year, will be his JUDGMENT DAY!!!
[ Edited by 9moon on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM ]
WRATH FTW. Absolutely spot on...and I'm sure Harbaugh's ego DID want CK starting to keep the "QB Guru" label going but not even he envisioned CK being ready so quickly and the ramifications of it. In his mind, I'm sure he'd rather have tackled THAT QB controversy after Alex left via FA and CK had 1 year to develop and with a full TC.
Failing to develop receivers for the passing game is a fail for his qb development too.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Failing to develop receivers for the passing game is a fail for his qb development too.

Yes sir!!
Back to Patton.

I think he knows he's got to come out swinging. He's in a fight and I feel he'll come out on top.

He's got the tools, and absolutely has the desire.

Now he's finally getting an opportunity.

Go for the Gold QP!!
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jul 24, 2015 at 7:57 AM ]
He will be our 3rd WR this year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Back to Patton.

I think he knows he's got to come out swinging. He's in a fight and I feel he'll come out on top.

He's got the tools, and absolutely has the desire.

Now he's finally getting an opportunity.

Go for the Gold QP!!

I would agree. I like receivers that are more quick then fast, and he is that in spades.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Bowman was a GM decision, as Baalke chose not to re-sign Spikes, who had started the previous year.

Miller didn't play until Norris got injured, then Baalke cut Norris once he was healthy.

Kap played because Smith was injured. He proved IN GAMES to be more dynamic than Smith. Harbaugh was paraphrased as saying that Kap play surprised him.

Cully played because Brock was hurt.

Hunter played because Frank was beat up throughout the season, and they wanted him rested for the post season. Hunter took his few initial reps and earned more time IN GAMES.

Reid started because Goldson walked, and there was not a single other FS worthy of starting an NFL game on the roster (Craig Dahl? )

Aldon was a top 7 pick athletic freak, and he didn't start as a rookie.

IIRC ,every rookie who played has either been a first round pick or has been thrust into a role by injuries. The look they got in practice never seemed to fortell the work they earned on the field.

Good calls wrath. I would say the only exceptions were lynch and well....Reid but that was more out of necessity. Don't forget Lloyd was in a lot over Patton Ellington and Stevie Johnson which is ridiculous. So harbaugh does prefer to start vets over rookies or younger players if the talent is close......he chooses the vet
I like Simpson as a number 3 but he is less of a slot guy and more of an outside wr. So although Simpson may be our 3rd best wr, Patton or Ellington (especially Ellington) seems to be a better slot guy

Originally posted by elguapo:
I like Simpson as a number 3 but he is less of a slot guy and more of an outside wr. So although Simpson may be our 3rd best wr, Patton or Ellington (especially Ellington) seems to be a better slot guy

Agreed!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Agreed!

Yeah but boldin is our slot guy. SO maybe simpson is a better fir for what we want to do.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
bottom line...

it really is PUT UP OF SHUT UP for Patton..

.. and I'm gonna bet on him!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
bottom line...

it really is PUT UP OF SHUT UP for Patton..

.. and I'm gonna bet on him!!!

Agree

IMO, he's going to be a real fighter and make every opportunity count.
Check out the vid from Niner Nation

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/7/26/9041301/quinton-patton-doing-footwork-while-preparing-for-49ers-training-camp
Share 49ersWebzone