There are 226 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
McDonald just needs to make a huge catch in the 1st game of the season and get some confidence in his hands. I really wasn't upon him in the draft last year. Can't remember if his hands were an issue coming out of college or not.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
not sure how that works..since not all targets can't account for catches or drops

I do not think that number of receptions and drops should equal targets.

You have targets, receptions, passes not caught, and drops.

Not every pass not caught is a drop.

Important to recognize that there is a degree of subjectivity in the determination of a drop.

It goes without saying that Vance will play a bigger role in our offense this season. I believe that scheme and QB play could potentially hold McDonald back more than McDonald could hold himself back. Yes of course he will drop passes but to what extent? I can't wait to find out.
Originally posted by buck:
not sure how that works..since not all targets can't account for catches or drops

Important to recognize that there is a degree of subjectivity in the determination of a drop.

yeah its like baseball with errors. you're not going to get credited with a drop on a 50-50 ball that you didnt come up with. just like that shortstop diving for a grounder who knocks it down but doesnt field it cleanly, its not an error.

maybe you can make it a little easier for me, why is the drops percentage going off targets?

i know if you didn't go by target and just go by catch attempts it would make the % higher ..just seems weird to add targets
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
yeah its like baseball with errors. you're not going to get credited with a drop on a 50-50 ball that you didnt come up with. just like that shortstop diving for a grounder who knocks it down but doesnt field it cleanly, its not an error.

Yes.

A drop is when the receiver does not catch a pass that is considered catchable.

Not every pass thrown is considered catchable.

maybe you can make it a little easier for me, why is the drops percentage going off targets?

i know if you didn't go by target and just go by catch attempts it would make the % higher ..just seems weird to add targets

15.8% of passes targeting vance ended up in dropped passes. if you want to go off of what they deem catchable balls then its 27% of catchable balls thrown to vance ended up in drops. that graphic makes him look better by factoring in the qbs inaccuracy at times or a pass defended and tipped away by the db.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I do not find these stats complicated to understand or weird.

But, if you do, you could ask the people who compiled them to explain their rational.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

[ Edited by buck on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Dropped Passes: 2013 NFL Season

This statistic counts the number of times an intended receiver touches the ball but fails to catch it. If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop.

Lots of players put up big yardage but also drop a lot of passes; elite receivers put up the numbers and maintain a low drop percentage.

More about Dropped Passes

Usually receivers who play the slot position tend to drop the ball less because they catch shorter passes and are known for their 'good hands' over and above other physical attributes like speed and size.

It's easy to blame the wide receiver for dropped passes, but partial blame can sometimes fall on the quarterback. Consistently throwing into tight situations or slight accuracy issues can lead to a higher percentage of drops as well.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
15.8% of passes targeting vance ended up in dropped passes.

if you want to go off of what they deem catchable balls then its 27% of catchable balls thrown to vance ended up in drops. that graphic makes him look better by factoring in the qbs inaccuracy at times or a pass defended and tipped away by the db.

To get the number of catchable balls, you add receptions and drops.

McDonald was thrown to 19 times. He had 8 receptions and 3 drops, which is 11 catchable passes.

If you divide the number of catchable balls by the number of drops you get the % of catchable balls dropped.

McDonald dropped 27.27 % of the catchable balls thrown to him.

Vernon Davis dropped 7.14% of the catchable balls thrown to him.

I do not find these stats complicated to understand or weird.

But, if you do, you could ask the people who compiled them to explain their rational.

i do understand the numbers...i don't understand why would they include pass attempts thrown at the receiver that the receiver had no control over, like batted balls at the line of scrimmage..but since you deferred the question to ask the site..i take it you don't know either. I was hoping you would know
  • buck
  • Veteran
i do understand the numbers...i don't understand why would they include pass attempts thrown at the receiver that the receiver had no control over, like batted balls at the line of scrimmage..but since you deferred the question to ask the site..i take it you don't know either. I was hoping you would know

You might ask them if passes at the line of scrimmage are included in their stats.

You might ask them if passes at the line of scrimmage are included in their stats.

well it was intended for someone
  • buck
  • Veteran

Obviously.

But, whom it was intended for might not be clear.

Obviously.

But, whom it was intended for might not be clear.

so if they are not clear and don't watch..then they clearly can not be trusted with targets...the 27% is the true number
Share 49ersWebzone