LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 305 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
This, unless Chaz meant wait to rub each others cocks? Its cool if you want to rub your own right now but we should wait to rub each others until we find out if Mcdonald is good or not

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Jon Gruden is part of the Illuminati.

Who isn't these days?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Is anyone else as stoked about McDonald as I am? This dude is the TE we have always needed to become a truly balance offense. What's even more awesome is that he is versatile in the passing game. It hasn't been since Eric Johnson when we have had a TE that is versatile in the passing game. Vernon makes this offense explosive but he was not a true TE in terms of his route-strength. Throwing to Vernon was always a small window as his catching range is not very good. We finally have a TE that has a large catching window.
Actually if you go back to one of my comments (from MY thread, which this is) I compared him to Eric Johnson. Both are cerebral studs, both played WR in college and are versatile. Plus their size is close together.. McDonald has the blocking and pass catching potential to become a great TE. On paper he's a lot like Gronk, but intangibly and intellectually McDonald has much more potential to excel in a wider range of aspects, due to his capacity to learn and assimilate the information attained. And I still believe as long as he's backing up Vernon, the best way to utilize his talents is to try him on defense once he learns how to sustain leverage. Imagine Paul Krueger type of pass rusher, who's faster, quicker and could cover as well as any OLB. If that were his primary position on the strong side, he'd get 10+ sacks, plenty of PD's and ints to go along with them.:-)
[ Edited by bdub2588 on Jun 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
Dude, i was like you are totally reading my mind...until the bold...then I was like, nu-aaah

Originally posted by bdub2588:
Is anyone else as stoked about McDonald as I am? This dude is the TE we have always needed to become a truly balance offense. What's even more awesome is that he is versatile in the passing game. It hasn't been since Eric Johnson when we have had a TE that is versatile in the passing game. Vernon makes this offense explosive but he was not a true TE in terms of his route-strength. Throwing to Vernon was always a small window as his catching range is not very good. We finally have a TE that has a large catching window.
Actually if you go back to one of my comments (from MY thread, which this is) I compared him to Eric Johnson. Both are cerebral studs, both played WR in college and are versatile. Plus their size is close together.. McDonald has the blocking and pass catching potential to become a great TE. On paper he's a lot like Gronk, but intangibly and intellectually McDonald has much more potential to excel in a wider range of aspects, due to his capacity to learn and assimilate the information attained. And I still believe as long as he's backing up Vernon, the best way to utilize his talents is to try him on defense once he learns how to sustain leverage. Imagine Paul Krueger type of pass rusher, who's faster, quicker and could cover as well as any OLB. If that were his primary position on the strong side, he'd get 10+ sacks, plenty of PD's and ints to go along with them.:-)

Only after we move Manny Lawson to safety, oh wait...
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lets see this dude play before we start rubbing our cocks. yea?

Who needs to wait to do that?

This, unless Chaz meant wait to rub each others cocks? Its cool if you want to rub your own right now but we should wait to rub each others until we find out if Mcdonald is good or not

LOL
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lets see this dude play before we start rubbing our cocks. yea?

Who needs to wait to do that?

LOL

Can't mess with that sweet stuff. No way
Originally posted by 5280High:

No but he might have made one helluvan H-Back.. Dude is over 6,5 240 with a crazy wingspan, ran a 4.43, had a 40 inch vertical AND scored ridiculously high on the Wonderlic.. Frankly I've always thought he was on the wrong side of the ball. And I'm pretty sure he could catch, although no one ever threw his way because he was so solid in coverage, which would probably translate into running good routes.. If I were the coach I'd take talent like that and test it out.. He has Marcedes Lewis' body, except with blazing straight line speed, freakish jumps and a brain..
[ Edited by bdub2588 on Jun 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:

No but he might have made one helluvan H-Back.. Dude is over 6,5 240 with a crazy wingspan, ran a 4.43, had a 40 inch vertical AND scored ridiculously high on the Wonderlic.. Frankly I've always thought he was on the wrong side of the ball. And I'm pretty sure he could catch, although no one ever threw his way because he was so solid in coverage, which would probably translate into running good routes.. If I were the coach I'd take talent like that and test it out.. He has Marcedes Lewis' body, except with blazing straight line speed, freakish jumps and a brain..
so why is he never in pro bowls and is mentioned in the same sentence as top tier linebackers,, manny lawson is the perfect example(aside from arnez battle and walker) of a guy way over rated by the web zone. manny lawson, good god, talk about stench from a previous regime
Manny was such a HUGE disappointment!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Manny was such a HUGE disappointment!

and yet when we have a hole at linebacker with a injury or whatever,, the blather to get him back starts up sure back in the day on those niner teams, he was probably pretty good but compared to the crew we got now,, he is not even in the top four in my opinion. he is a dog, if i would yell quail, he would point
WTF does Manny Lawson have to do with Vance Macdonald?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

nothing and i am sorry for taking part in thread derailment... back to topic,, I am just pleased we got a tight end who can catch and blocking can always be worked on. last year walker worked on his pass catching but never got better.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

nothing and i am sorry for taking part in thread derailment... back to topic,, I am just pleased we got a tight end who can catch and blocking can always be worked on. last year walker worked on his pass catching but never got better.

we still have Celek as an additional "lineman" TE. Vance has a special combination of speed, quickness, and size, that makes him a threat in the middle of the field. I also wouldn't be surprised if Gray makes the team too, giving us 4 TEs to work with.
Mcdonald is every bit as versatile as Walker and more reliable. Not thinking he sees very much special teams play other than on field goals. He is going to see a lot of snaps on offense and be a real problem for Defenses.
Share 49ersWebzone