LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 222 users in the forums

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is the NFL ready for an Openly Gay Player

• buck
  • Veteran
interesting reads

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski said he would be accepting of a gay teammate

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9110229/rob-gronkowski-new-england-patriots-accept-gay-teammate

NFLPA president: We're prepping for openly gay player
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155233/article/nflpa-president-were-prepping-for-openly-gay-player

[ Edited by buck on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
interesting reads

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski said he would be accepting of a gay teammate

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9110229/rob-gronkowski-new-england-patriots-accept-gay-teammate

NFLPA president: We're prepping for openly gay player
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000155233/article/nflpa-president-were-prepping-for-openly-gay-player

Prepping for an openly gay player?? lol That just sounds funny to me.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Prepping for an openly gay player?? lol That just sounds funny to me.

yes, it does.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't know about being "ready". The NFL will deal with it once a player decides that they want to announce that they are gay. As an employer, the NFL will be forced to protect the player and punish any player that speaks negatively about the player's orientation since many states, including California, have employment protections for homosexual employees. So in other words, just as the employer would probably fire you if you called a black person the N word, the NFL will probably terminate the contract of any employee who says something disparaging about a homosexual player. If they take no action, then they will be wide open to a lawsuit in many states since sexual orientation has the same protections as race. For that matter, transgender also has the same protection in many states.
Personally, I'm just sick and goddamn tired of HEARING ABOUT GAY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. I'm all for their equal rights to marriage, playing in the NFL, you name it--they're people just like everyone else and they deserve the same rights. However...

I'm just beyond tired of hearing about them, and reading about them, and seeing things about them everywhere I friggin go. That to me is the real issue. It almost starts to stir up anger in people that are (and have already been) accepting just because they're nauseated with the over-saturation of these issues in the media.

Let em ride the bus naked if they want, just don't go publicizing the s**t out of their every waking move. It's enough already.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Culliver says hi.

i believe....hope...... he will keep his mouth shut lol

He has the right to freedom of speech just like every other American. If you think you're not going to like the answer don't ask the question!!!! Keep it to yourself!
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Personally, I'm just sick and goddamn tired of HEARING ABOUT GAY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. I'm all for their equal rights to marriage, playing in the NFL, you name it--they're people just like everyone else and they deserve the same rights. However...

I'm just beyond tired of hearing about them, and reading about them, and seeing things about them everywhere I friggin go. That to me is the real issue. It almost starts to stir up anger in people that are (and have already been) accepting just because they're nauseated with the over-saturation of these issues in the media.

Let em ride the bus naked if they want, just don't go publicizing the s**t out of their every waking move. It's enough already.

I agree whole heartedly!!!! I'm not racist or a homophob but I just don't want to hear about it!!! Criminals will tell you it's only a bad business when you get caught. It's never bad when no one knows about it!!! KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES!!!!

It's inevitable that someone comes out in the NFL, I just hope it doesn't happen first from our team
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by hawker84:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

Doesn't bother me. I'd just take it as a compliment.

Another man being attracted to me doesn't mean I'm gonna be gay and it doesn't mean he's gonna do anything about it.

I've got too many other things to worry about than who is or isn't attracted to me. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable, but come on man...lifes too short.

Come on dude if the player is attracted to another player he is going to be naked with a boner its a wrong message imo not to mention if sexual acts happen its a liability just put a naked woman in there and see if she don't feel uncomfortable with men around her.

SMH.

Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by hawker84:
didn't say scared, i said uncomfortable.. if you're saying you as a straight man wouldn't be uncomfortable with another male that might be sexually attracted to you , showering naked next to you, then i'd have to be a little skeptical...

Doesn't bother me. I'd just take it as a compliment.

Another man being attracted to me doesn't mean I'm gonna be gay and it doesn't mean he's gonna do anything about it.

I've got too many other things to worry about than who is or isn't attracted to me. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable, but come on man...lifes too short.

Come on dude if the player is attracted to another player he is going to be naked with a boner its a wrong message imo not to mention if sexual acts happen its a liability just put a naked woman in there and see if she don't feel uncomfortable with men around her.

I dont understand your logic at all... lol

Its not a room full of gay dudes... its a room with 1 gay dude. And just because he's attracted to men doesnt mean he's gonna rape anybody or have a boner. It hasnt happened yet has it? I would certainly hope if you were in a locker room full of women (not attracted to you of course) you would be capable of not raping them.

LOL. Love it.
Russell Wilson for sure
What I think is funny is how people on this thread are acting like its a new thing...like suddenly gay players would be introduced to the locker room.

People, THEY ARE ALREADY THERE. They are already capable of not walking around "with a boner" as someone so eloquently put it. They aren't hitting on straight players.

What would change here is how the players around that player who is already there would react to the knowledge that he's gay.

How could you possibly be tired of this now being a standard-issue question for players, or when an outlet like TMZ tries to ambush Michael Crabtree on the topic?
Clearly you are not appreciating how earth-shatteringly imporant it is that the NFL FINALLY has an openly-gay player.

Hopefully the NFL will come to its entrepreneurial senses and dedicate a full month to "openly-gay awareness", you know, market a full line of "OGA" hats/apparel and the players can wear rainbow-themed wristbands and shoes.
What's the big f**king deal?
Share 49ersWebzone