There are 147 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Jcool:

#49ers have strong relationship with Alex Smith & Tom Condon his agent. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team, be treated right

This is the proper way to go about it, I think. Someone mentioned earlier, the 49ers should pool the best offers together, and let Alex pick from those teams.

I think one people are selling short is this: if the 49ers trade Smith without any input from him whatsoever, it could have a small affect on free agents that are considering coming here in the future. Alex made a lot of sacrifices for this team, and if alienate him by trading him to some awful city that he doesn't want to be in, that does not reflect well on the organization and its treatment of players.

Yes, it's a business, but there's no reason to be cutthroat about it.

Dont know if a team will trade for him at his current salary.

????

Alex's salary next season is less than Matt Flynn's. if Alex can perform like he has the past season and half, $8M is a deal.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Teams have taken note of how Alex Smith has handled this situation. If they draft a rookie, they know he'll handle it with class. That's big

Chiefs figure to be in mix of teams interested in Alex Smith (along w Bills, Cards, maybe Eagles). Interest will be real for a 1-year rental

It'll end up more than a 1 year rental IMO, people are underestimating this guy a lot, maybe the team that trades for him is quite pleased with his performance and decides to stick with him long-term, or perhaps their "QB of the future" turns out to be an absolute bust. Alex has a future as a starter in the NFL.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
the more i think about it the more i believe KC is the best fit for Alex.

QB guru coach...check
Pro Bowl RB...check
defense with 4 Pro Bowlers...check
York said we could keep both QBs and now days you need 2 good Qbs. Then he was talking Smith up, we will get max value for him. York is already planting a seed in GMs minds. I think we get a 2nd round pick for him.
Originally posted by boast:

QB guru coach...check
Pro Bowl RB...check

Smith to KC makes too much sense, since it would follow the trend of ex-Niners QB's Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, Joe Montana, and Steve DeBerg going over there
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Teams have taken note of how Alex Smith has handled this situation. If they draft a rookie, they know he'll handle it with class. That's big

Chiefs figure to be in mix of teams interested in Alex Smith (along w Bills, Cards, maybe Eagles). Interest will be real for a 1-year rental

This tweet right here tells the 49ers of the value they can expect to get from a team for Alex Smith: Which is not much. The qb needy teams like the aspect of teamplayer from Alex, but there is not going to be any high bidding for him because these teams are not going to sign him long term, and I believe that no team is going to make a deal for him at his salary of $8 million.

The trade deal, which is only possible because of the lack of talent in the draft, will happen in conjunction with Alex agreeing to restructure a deal. So, in reality, I believe Alex will be shopped with low expectations in return.

Heres a hypothetical: The highest bidder, IMO, will be Buffalo. They want competition for Fitzpatrick but are only offering around a fifth, because they want a prerequisite of Alex redoing his deal, and they are going to draft a qb. But Alex doesnt want to go to the AFC, much less a cold weather team, so there is no agreement from either side. So, at the end of the day, we will take a sixth or seventh from an NFC team with better talent around him so he can compete to start.
My money is on Tampa Bay giving up a seventh and getting him
If anybody on this board genuinely believes that benching Alex was taken in stride and couldn't have become a very poisonous situation, I believe you're wrong.

He handled himself incredibly well. He traded being a good soldier for being treated well come the offseason.

I don't think there is any question that the 49ers should attempt to trade him. If they can't find a suitable partner, or one all parties are satisfied with, he should be cut.

Why would any team trade for a guy they KNOW is going to be cut? Unless they're that desperate, in which case Alex can go full Jake Plummer.

If you don't think FAs and players on the team look at how these situations are handled, you're crazy. Home town discounts are given to teams who players believe will take care of them, not the ones who think they may get screwed.
Originally posted by kratzer14:
York said we could keep both QBs and now days you need 2 good Qbs. Then he was talking Smith up, we will get max value for him. York is already planting a seed in GMs minds. I think we get a 2nd round pick for him.

No way.

QB guru coach...check
Pro Bowl RB...check

Reid is know for being willing to start rookies.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sorry, yeah Alex is better then average. I was just using your adjective. You said, "average to top 10 QB."

But, anyway, that is besides the point and that wasn't the subject of our topic discussion.

As for your Staley comment we should not base our roster moves on the off chance that a player goes rogue and hurts the team because he was dissatisfied with a roster move. Can't run organizations on those types of off the wall hypotheticals.

Disrupting the locker room is not a hypothetical..happens all the time.

Originally posted by baltien:
Rewrite history? Please.

Look at Crabs first eight games of the season and then compare them to the last eight. Sure, he looked good with Alex in but he was even better with Kap in. That is indisputable.

We can guess all day about whether he would have done the same if Alex was never benched. Problem with that is your line of reasoning relies on conjecture. Whereas everything I said is verifiable fact.

Go look at the game logs. Numbers don't lie.

Crabs caught 7 more passes with Kaep than with Smith. The difference is that as the year went on Crabs started getting more YAC. Total

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sorry, yeah Alex is better then average. I was just using your adjective. You said, "average to top 10 QB."

But, anyway, that is besides the point and that wasn't the subject of our topic discussion.

As for your Staley comment we should not base our roster moves on the off chance that a player goes rogue and hurts the team because he was dissatisfied with a roster move. Can't run organizations on those types of off the wall hypotheticals.

Disrupting the locker room is not a hypothetical..happens all the time.

Originally posted by baltien:
Rewrite history? Please.

Look at Crabs first eight games of the season and then compare them to the last eight. Sure, he looked good with Alex in but he was even better with Kap in. That is indisputable.

We can guess all day about whether he would have done the same if Alex was never benched. Problem with that is your line of reasoning relies on conjecture. Whereas everything I said is verifiable fact.

Go look at the game logs. Numbers don't lie.

Crabs caught 7 more passes with Kaep than with Smith. The difference is that as the year went on Crabs started getting more YAC. Total

Maybe the ball is getting to Kaep faster and in better position to get YAC?

Or Crabs all of a sudden got better at it ?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

QB guru coach...check
Pro Bowl RB...check

Reid is know for being willing to start rookies.

only one, Donovan McChoke. and even in his rookie year, he didn't play until mid-season.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

This tweet right here tells the 49ers of the value they can expect to get from a team for Alex Smith: Which is not much. The qb needy teams like the aspect of teamplayer from Alex, but there is not going to be any high bidding for him because these teams are not going to sign him long term, and I believe that no team is going to make a deal for him at his salary of $8 million.

The trade deal, which is only possible because of the lack of talent in the draft, will happen in conjunction with Alex agreeing to restructure a deal. So, in reality, I believe Alex will be shopped with low expectations in return.

Heres a hypothetical: The highest bidder, IMO, will be Buffalo. They want competition for Fitzpatrick but are only offering around a fifth, because they want a prerequisite of Alex redoing his deal, and they are going to draft a qb. But Alex doesnt want to go to the AFC, much less a cold weather team, so there is no agreement from either side. So, at the end of the day, we will take a sixth or seventh from an NFC team with better talent around him so he can compete to start.

Baseless. You sure are putting a lot of weight on a little Tweet. I'd be shocked to see a pick as low as a 5th rounder for compensation, and fully expect, based on past QB deals, that Alex with fetch easily a 2nd/3rd rounder. He's still a very young guy who proved to be a winning QB over the last two years.

LOL at a 5th. Didnt we give a 5th for Ginn?
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Baseless. You sure are putting a lot of weight on a little Tweet. I'd be shocked to see a pick as low as a 5th rounder for compensation, and fully expect, based on past QB deals, that Alex with fetch easily a 2nd/3rd rounder. He's still a very young guy who proved to be a winning QB over the last two years.

LOL at a 5th. Didnt we give a 5th for Ginn?

Hes going to have to restructure his deal, dont you both agree?

LOL

49ers will get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Alex, simply because he's worth it and its a sellers market for QB's this year.

If you're a team without a QB or with a mediocre QB, who are you going to get better than Alex? Who are you going to find on the free agent market that is a better player? In regards to the draft, if you're a new GM, you don't want to take a chance with a 2nd or 3rd rounder that may or may not be ready, history says that you're more likely to wind up with an AJ Feeley than you are a Russell Wilson.

49ers will get decent compensation for Alex because be's a proven quality starter and there are plenty of QB-hungry teams desperate for talent. If Kevin Kolb who had a career QB rating of about 79, was traded for a 2nd round pick and a then-Pro-Bowl CB, and if an aging, creaky, injury-prone Carson Palmer was traded for a 1st and 2nd rounder, 49ers will be getting far better than a 7th round pick, which is absolutely nonsense.

Special teamers get traded for 7th round picks, a 28 year old QB with a rating of 104, a passing accuracy of 70% and a highly reasonable contract will draw far more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone