LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 193 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Alex Smith will not be a member of #49ers next year. They will try to trade him first. Then if nothing happens, cut him early out of respect

#49ers have strong relationship with Alex Smith & Tom Condon his agent. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team, be treated right

There we go. This is the best solution for all parties in my opinion.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Alex Smith will not be a member of #49ers next year. They will try to trade him first. Then if nothing happens, cut him early out of respect

#49ers have strong relationship with Alex Smith & Tom Condon his agent. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team, be treated right

There we go. This is the best solution for all parties in my opinion.

yup

This is the proper way to go about it, I think. Someone mentioned earlier, the 49ers should pool the best offers together, and let Alex pick from those teams.

I think one people are selling short is this: if the 49ers trade Smith without any input from him whatsoever, it could have a small affect on free agents that are considering coming here in the future. Alex made a lot of sacrifices for this team, and if alienate him by trading him to some awful city that he doesn't want to be in, that does not reflect well on the organization and its treatment of players.

Yes, it's a business, but there's no reason to be cutthroat about it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by theduke85:

This is the proper way to go about it, I think. Someone mentioned earlier, the 49ers should pool the best offers together, and let Alex pick from those teams.

I think one people are selling short is this: if the 49ers trade Smith without any input from him whatsoever, it could have a small affect on free agents that are considering coming here in the future. Alex made a lot of sacrifices for this team, and if alienate him by trading him to some awful city that he doesn't want to be in, that does not reflect well on the organization and its treatment of players.

Yes, it's a business, but there's no reason to be cutthroat about it.

Dont know if a team will trade for him at his current salary.
Trade him and get some value in return. But in reality it will be tough to do. Teams know we will release him. So they may just wait.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Teams have taken note of how Alex Smith has handled this situation. If they draft a rookie, they know he'll handle it with class. That's big

Chiefs figure to be in mix of teams interested in Alex Smith (along w Bills, Cards, maybe Eagles). Interest will be real for a 1-year rental
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by baltien:
Maybe. Even if he did go there (which I'm 99.9% sure he won't), I don't see him throwing well enough to maximize Fitz's talents. It's not hard to figure out why Crabtree's emergence only came about with Kap behind center.

Arizona has no ground game, their o-line is terrible, and they'll be learning a new offense. It's wishful at best to think all of that will suddenly click in one offseason. Alex isn't talented enough to make up for their shortcomings all on his own.

The 49ers would know that better than anybody.

Lol way to try and rewrite history. Crab was already looking like a stud at the beginning of this season. Difference is that Alex had Chemestry with vd too.. Colin did not at first

Agreed. Crabtree benefitted greatly from his first full training camp. Also, I believe having Moss around helped a lot, too. Crabtree has played very well all season, not just when CK took over.

Rewrite history? Please.

Look at Crabs first eight games of the season and then compare them to the last eight. Sure, he looked good with Alex in but he was even better with Kap in. That is indisputable.

We can guess all day about whether he would have done the same if Alex was never benched. Problem with that is your line of reasoning relies on conjecture. Whereas everything I said is verifiable fact.

Go look at the game logs. Numbers don't lie.

Yup. Also, VDs struggles started with Smith at the helm. It wasn't a QB issue, it was a VD issue.

Alex Smith doesn't get the ball to WRs very much
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Trade him and get some value in return. But in reality it will be tough to do. Teams know we will release him. So they may just wait.

I disagree only because if they wait for the release a bidding war may ensue. If you trade you know the contract you're gonna get and it's an important hole filled early on with time to prepare for Fa.
Originally posted by fryet:
I find it interesting that no one is mentioning Camp Alex. He was preparing the entire team when he wasn't even under contract, and the 49ers had spent a 2nd round draft pick on a QB. Alex has gone over and beyond the call of duty, so I don't see why the organization can't have some class on how they release him. Most likely it won't be an outright release, but they will probably offer him some say on where he is traded.

Btw, last year, it was clear that Alex wanted to return to the 49ers, so teams weren't that interested in bidding for his services when they knew it would only be used to negotiate a higher salary with the 49ers.

Who cares? This is business. Players go over and above all the time and get cut. No player is above the team. I care about the 9ers. I couldn't care less about players who are out the door.

Being a "nice guy" does not entitle you to being put above the team. Alex has a lot to be thankful of the 9ers for.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

But our receivers can't get open, remember?

Hell no, we've paid him like 63 million dollars. We should get what we can..
Jed York was on Coach & Company talking about keeping Alex being a real option.

He also said that neither Smith nor his actual peeps have said anything about wanting a release. That story seems like something a hack made up to stir the pot during media week.
Bills, Eagles, Jets, Cards, Raids(?), Jax....and there may be more. The question is: how willing is a team without a half way decent QB, going to sit around and wait for alex to be released...esp with his creds, QB rating, personal stature, % completions, etc? My guess is the early bird gets the worm, and all teams with crappy or transitioning Qbs HAVE TO get a decent QB. Except in alex's case, he is smart, finishing college in 2 &1/2 yrs, has been a stalwart, has immense character...I mean, how much more could a team ask for? I do not believe the teams noted above, (and their may be others, Cleveland, eg) are going to sit around and wait for alex to be cut loose. These guys see a primo QB, sitting there as our Backup, who is a bona fide starter with tons of experience. Man, I think these guys are going to do whatever it takes to get alex nailed down BEFORE he is released.

I am looking for someone to come up big...not a #7 or 6...but a #2 , or swap #1s with us. Today, having a team with NO qb, is the death knell of a franchise. And alex is lucky that there are no RG3s, no Lucks, no Wilsons to be had. I think we get lucky and get a meaningful pick out of a trade. Remember we have what, 13 picks, or is it 15? We could easily trade our #1 pick for theirs plus we throw in a couple # 6s or a #5...or something creative like that. I will be floored if Coach and Baalke don't get drool all over themselves from teams with NO qb, salivating over the possibility of gettting the ONLY legitmate NFL starter available...who just so happens to be one helluva good QB.
No way, trade for picks or a player..AS is worth more than a throw away for sure..People talk about well he's given so much and been sooo classy about getting benched..Hey I got news for you; he has been paid millions, and millions of US Dollars for his lack of service for 5.5 years, plus the time he played well.. So yes, trade him and get the best we can the 49ers deserve compensation. In Ballk and JH I trust!
NINERS!!
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

HUH???
Share 49ersWebzone