There are 255 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
If Looney doesn't pan out, then Balke will have no choice than to cave in and give Boone a new deal. I'm sure Boone is reading the daily reports and seeing the issues on the OL and probably just waiting for the new contract. If that is the case, then Boone sort of has the leverage right? I mean if Looney doesn't pan out, there is no way I don't think the niners go into week 1 with Looney on the line. Is there anyone else aside from Looney they can plug in?

I guess I'm just saying the stance on new contracts that Balke takes may not work here.
[ Edited by Baldie on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by crake49:
At this point, my prediction is that they won't be able to retain Boone this year and they'll be out-bid for Iupati next year. I know that's not what most fans want, but that's my prediction. With Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas coming on, it looks like Baalke has been trying to prepare for that anyway.
We got Boone for three seasons if we so please. 2014 2015 and we can franchise him ....... At G pay for 2016 if we choose. Boone has NO leverage here

This AND I don't think Boone gets his fine money back if we decide to give him a new deal. Hell, did we ever give some of Browns money back to him?
  • dj43
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I think he's a pro-bowl talent, just gets kind of overshadowed on our line and doesn't play his strongest position which is tackle.

To me, 2 years with a top 15 G (or better) that can back-up tackle better than anyone in the league, at about 2 mil/year (during a Superbowl run no less), plus a 3rd or 4th round compensatory selection for when he leaves and signs a big contract elsewhere, is far more valuable than a day two pick in next year's draft. Teams need to start with a first rounder before I even listen, if I'm Baalke. And even then, it's got to be even higher than that to break precedent and give in to the demands of a player holding out. In short, nothing short of a king's ransom would pry us away from Boone. He's just too valuable, with too much at stake, and a decision that will likely impact the way potential hold-outs operate with this FO.

The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.

^^^^^
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
At this point, my prediction is that they won't be able to retain Boone this year and they'll be out-bid for Iupati next year. I know that's not what most fans want, but that's my prediction. With Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas coming on, it looks like Baalke has been trying to prepare for that anyway.

Agree. If we win the super bowl we'll be losing a lot of players, good players. I think Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas will just have to fill in next year if we win it all, and I'm hoping we do. I think Loony can step in for Boone, just as Boone stepped in for Rachel. Anyway, I don't expect anything to move on the Boone issue till much later in Training Camp and closer to regular season. 49ers are still evaluating all the *next man up* players to see where they are - negotiation-wise with Boone.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Iupati is better than Boone anyway. If it was a choice between Iupati and Boone, I would much prefer Iupati. If Boone is demanding similar money to Iupati....

I'm not so sure. The ability to play the tackle position at a very high level elevates Boone's value. I understand why he wants to get paid more, he's just going about it in a really bad way.

His ability to start at both positions is exactly why a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not enough. He's not a Pro-Bowler at either, but still a top player. That provides a team A LOT of flexibility. If I'm Baalke, a team would have to overpay (a 1st or a 2nd AND 3rd). I doubt any team bites and if they do, great for us and Alex Boone.

I think he's a pro-bowl talent, just gets kind of overshadowed on our line and doesn't play his strongest position which is tackle.

To me, 2 years with a top 15 G (or better) that can back-up tackle better than anyone in the league, at about 2 mil/year (during a Superbowl run no less), plus a 3rd or 4th round compensatory selection for when he leaves and signs a big contract elsewhere, is far more valuable than a day two pick in next year's draft. Teams need to start with a first rounder before I even listen, if I'm Baalke. And even then, it's got to be even higher than that to break precedent and give in to the demands of a player holding out. In short, nothing short of a king's ransom would pry us away from Boone. He's just too valuable, with too much at stake, and a decision that will likely impact the way potential hold-outs operate with this FO.

The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.

All of this. Except the part about him being a Pro-Bowler. You can be a very good player without being a Pro-Bowler. Ray McDonald is an example.

Another thing to consider is this, people need to stop looking at Alex Boone as an UDFA so any compensation is a plus. It's not a plus. The guy had top tier talent coming into the league and messed it up for himself. Doug Baldwin went undrafted. Does anyone think Seattle could give him up for a 6th at this point?

The idea of a 2nd and 3rd or a first a minimum seems fair because frankly, you aren't finding that many starting quality tackles in the draft. Add in the fact that the guy can start at guard and yes, that king's ransom sounds very reasonable.

I think you *have* to take his UDFA in consideration, because that means the scouting and O-Line coaches are doing something right. Also, because he was UDFA, we used a draft pick for possibly another position. Finally, the practice of trading depth for draft picks is an old one and he's just the most recent iteration of that age old practice. He just might be this years Alex Smith, but on the position of O-Line. I don't want him to leave the team, I'm agreeing with all the folks who say pay the man, but at the same time - you can't force him to play here if he just doesn't want to play here. 49ers have reached out and still there is not movement on the negotiation side, so the option of punishing him and letting him rot via the CBA, I don't think is a good one. His value will drop over time as he continues to languish at home with his beer and wine and not practicing with the team. The rule that you don't negotiate with a player until he shows up at TC is a good one if that player genuinely wants to play for the 49ers, if he hates the 49ers - that rule isn't going to change his mind.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think you *have* to take his UDFA in consideration, because that means the scouting and O-Line coaches are doing something right. Also, because he was UDFA, we used a draft pick for possibly another position. Finally, the practice of trading depth for draft picks is an old one and he's just the most recent iteration of that age old practice. He just might be this years Alex Smith, but on the position of O-Line. I don't want him to leave the team, I'm agreeing with all the folks who say pay the man, but at the same time - you can't force him to play here if he just doesn't want to play here. 49ers have reached out and still there is not movement on the negotiation side, so the option of punishing him and letting him rot via the CBA, I don't think is a good one. His value will drop over time as he continues to languish at home with his beer and wine and not practicing with the team. The rule that you don't negotiate with a player until he shows up at TC is a good one if that player genuinely wants to play for the 49ers, if he hates the 49ers - that rule isn't going to change his mind.

49ers saved his butt. Why should he hate them?
Originally posted by English:

Why would he hate us or more importantly his teammates? and what does trading him cheaply while he has 2 seasons left on a cheap contract solve? It solves some other team's problem and makes them better and meanwhile we get a 3rd rd pick or less? He** no! We need multiple day 2 picks to move this guy as a minimum because otherwise it ain't worth it. We are doing the right thing right now by letting him sit on reserved/not reporting until he inevitably shows up for work. Now I realize that NFL players get the short end of the stick compared to soccer basketball and baseball but this is football! Play the game and earn your pay and yes, use your leverage when it is time to do that as well. Thing is in this scenario Boone doesn't have enough leverage under the current CBA to keep sitting at home. Baalke is in the catbird seat and by November we will all understand this including Boone!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran

If he likes it here, why isn't he at camp? Him being here or not being here doesn't really affect the fact that he has no leverage in negotiations at all.
If he likes it here, why isn't he at camp? Him being here or not being here doesn't really affect the fact that he has no leverage in negotiations at all.

Research his agents. I believe they've handled negotiations for Revis in years past. This should tell you a lot as to the advice they are giving Boone. They are going to fail badly. Baalke aint no d**n Mike Tannenbaum or whathisname!

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
After releasing Carl Nicks, The Bucs are thiner than Snoop Lion at Guard, so trade Boone to Tampa Bay for a 3rd rounder in 2015. Slide Martin/Looney/Snyder/Netter in at RG.

In 2015, our starting Guards will be Brandon Thomas and a rookie, or Martin/Looney/Snyder/Netter.

^ Written July, 26th

Can I get an AMEN?!?
Change the name of this thread. He is no longer appreciated!
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I'm starting to get this feeling too. If he really wanted to be a 49er he would have already shown up to camp like the rest of the holdouts in this league have. Maybe he wants to go back home to cleveland because you know he's probably there right now and not in the bay area getting ready for the season.
He is far better than anything we have at G and darn near as good as Davis at T. He has proven to do well in the toughest division in football. He could prob dominate at T on most teams in the afc and he knows it.I wonder what it will take to get him in camp . It would be hard to win a bowl without him

Share 49ersWebzone