LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 160 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GoNiners:
wow I had no idea Hunter and James have a combined 3 catches.

Its absolutely f**king inexcusable, anyone who still defends Roman at this point is an undercover Raiders or Seahawks fan as far as I'm concerned.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
how does gore have 13 carries when 2 te's were on the field for 41 of the 57 plays with miller accounting for 33 snaps

so at least 33 of the 57 plays we had 2 te's 1 fb and 1 rb

and we only ran it with gore 13 times and attempted 31 passes not including sacks

does this plan make sense to anyone?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Its absolutely f**king inexcusable, anyone who still defends Roman at this point is an undercover Raiders or Seahawks fan as far as I'm concerned.

I keep saying this because we dont have an answer....who is making the personnel decisions? Maybe it's Harbs...
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856500-san-francisco-49ers-5-reasons-greg-roman-should-be-on-the-hot-seat/page/6

This say it all.

for real. Like I said in my groupthink post, it has gotten to a point that Roman will be kicked to the curb if we don't have success. Whether Roman is a side-effect of a mentality created by Harbaugh remains to be seen but if Harbaugh wanted to stick with short, quick passes and rarely go deep why draft Kaepernick and why trade Alex Smith?

Harbaugh wanted Kaepernick because of his arm strength and running ability yet they rarely employ either facet of Kaepernick's ability anymore. Like I've been saying for weeks is it because Kaepernick has a weak spot in his game or is it because we have an inept offensive coordinator?

Roman's schizophrenic behavior regarding game plans used to bother me but now I just watch and wait for it to happen. Also Roman needs to come up with more creative formations because as everybody on this forum has pointed out, we have the most blatantly predictable formations in the NFL now. 1 WR to the left with a TE on the right and the FB and RB in the backfield ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS means run for us. Even against 8 or 9 man fronts we never take a chance on that WR beating his man and getting the ball to him before the safety can get there.

I'm at peace now with how bizarre our offense is so I'm just going to continue to guess the plays based on the formations for the rest of the season and enjoy the ride. Like I also said in my groupthink post, I hope Jim takes a page from his brother and fires Roman to ignite a spark in the locker room. Our team is so stacked that we can't find ways to utilize every player(even though I really disagree with concept and believe it just an excuse) that we can't honestly think that aren't able be a diverse offense.

At this point it falls on the coaches and much like that BR article said, Harbaugh isn't getting fired anytime soon, it would require something monumental like back-to-back 4-12 seasons or worse for him to be fired. So Harbaugh needs to not get complacent with consistent playoff berths and realize he needs to shake up his coaching staff if he truly believes in the players on his roster.

I already live in Utah and had to watch the Jazz be happy with being an 8th seed playoff team year and year out and never make the move required to push them over the top. I don't know if I can stand watching the 9ers become a team that is happy with marginal success -- this franchise needs more SBs not divisional titles.
LOL, this. Some of the articles I've seen recently make me think some journalists are lurking in the Webzone.

saying things we've said word for word.

cannot seem to get hunter and james into space

so spread it out and run them up the middle
this is who we have calling the plays. he should have been fired after the super bowl.

Preach on my brotha!
Originally posted by jreff22:
I keep saying this because we dont have an answer....who is making the personnel decisions? Maybe it's Harbs...
Greg Roman talks to the other coaches between series and comes up with a list of plays. He gives Harbaugh the play call on the sideline. Then, Harbaugh sends the call into Kaepernick Therefore, if the plays that are coming in are not working on the field, it still starts with Roman. If Harbaugh has to axe one of the calls and the Niners take a delay of game, it is still on Roman. If they don't have enough clock to change the play and are forced to roll with a bad call, that's on Roman.
you should post this in the kap thread to all of the people saying he isn't intelligent enough to get to the line and call plays on time
  • sfout
  • Veteran
LOL, this. Some of the articles I've seen recently make me think some journalists are lurking in the Webzone.

saying things we've said word for word.

I think any good beat writer trolls forums. What better way to get almost guaranteed hits and clicks then to start talking about what the forum readers are saying.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]

this lends huge credibility to our decoy assertion.
and the lack of options for kapernick. if the fullback and a 2nd tight end get more snaps than a 2nd wr.
how is a qb supposed to be dynamic when the weapons he has can't realistically do damage running past 5-7 yards? he's out there with either vd being doubled or boldin being doubled..

why not just KEEP baldwin on the field to stretch the defense whether you throw it to him or not?
well probably because it would make too much sense like using lmj and hunter in space to eat up opponents defenses.

he's failing so miserably but people still want to blame kap he's probably frustrated to no end with the play calling and selection but would never utter a word saying so.

Originally posted by sfout:
I think any good beat writer trolls forums. What better way to get almost guaranteed hits and clicks then to start talking about what the forum readers are saying.

yea but in this case they're getting the truth instead of just banter. verifiable by data and the eye test. im surprised it took them this long to do this. it should have been week 2
the good news is the journalist have been lurking here and are starting to parrot the things we've said on a national front.

i just don't see why anyone is surprised our offense is dead last in passing when a team stacks the box and roman's response is to continue to stack the box with even more non essential personnel.
he has to lead the league in non essential personnel players running blocking routes. and fb going out for passes.

we don't even have a 2nd wr on the field half of the time.. how on earth is that even possible?

Oh they ARE. They have even stolen some of the "work" in the past. Remember the first down production thread I had a while ago? The importance of 4+ yards on 1st down and it was critical to our success and the STRONG correlation it had to wins? I was keeping a running total...yeah, it suddenly appeared in an article. I have no issues with it b/c it helps drive home the point (and that merely was an observation I made...like the AR now). It's smart if you think about it...let the fans do all the work and research and take the credit. LOL
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh they ARE. They have even stolen some of the "work" in the past. Remember the first down production thread I had a while ago? The importance of 4+ yards on 1st down and it was critical to our success and the STRONG correlation it had to wins? I was keeping a running total...yeah, it suddenly appeared in an article. I have no issues with it b/c it helps drive home the point (and that merely was an observation I made...like the AR now). It's smart if you think about it...let the fans do all the work and research and take the credit. LOL

then someone on the team needs to lurk here and take it right to jim harbaugh and bypass greg roman.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i wish harbaugh would take over already and get this guy out of here. harbaugh knows offense and was a QB for a long time so he knows the game inside out.

I was thinking about that too... but look at who Harbaugh is, he wants his hand in all the cookie jars not just offense. I dont think he would be comfortable taking his hand off the pulse of the team to focus solely on offense. But it would be awesome if he put Rathman or Chryst in charge of calling plays, or anyone on the offensive staff but Roman.

not so sure about that. i think harbaugh is a team player and he trusts fangio a lot. he has no reason not to trust him. he said in a presser a few times that he just lets vic do what hes got to do and doesnt interfere. he knows defense isnt his thing and fangio has given him no reason not to trust him. since hes been here our defense has been among the best. harbaugh should take over the offense in my opinion.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
not so sure about that. i think harbaugh is a team player and he trusts fangio a lot. he has no reason not to trust him. he said in a presser a few times that he just lets vic do what hes got to do and doesnt interfere. he knows defense isnt his thing and fangio has given him no reason not to trust him. since hes been here our defense has been among the best. harbaugh should take over the offense in my opinion.

has to take over the offense he isn't dense he has to know as a former qb that your chances of having a rhythmic passing offense are next to none if you trot out 2te's and a fb with only 1wr majority of the time
Share 49ersWebzone