LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 159 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Many coordinators will spread tough defensive team out so you can find the holes but dumba** Roman adds a lineman to bring another man inside the box! Also many OC's will screen defenses that blitz or over pursue to slow them down but Roman did not call a single screen! TERRIBLE use of formations and talent! Frank seemed hobbled by an ankle injury or something!
its bad because roman is bad its simple.

as good as gore was running there was no reason to stop.

and give kap quick hitting passes so the line can't get to him not 7 step drops to give them time to get there.

its simple really simple
I'm at a loss for words. It's obvious that losing Vernon hurt but it's no excuse. Roman dialed up a putrid game plan. You attack them like the Panthers attacked us using intermediate quick hitting pass patterns. Aside from that nice pass to Manningham late in the game we didn't even try to hit any of these. I don't know, maybe Carolina's defense is that good but I doubt it. Why is it in these tight ball games we play not to lose? Todays game was a perfect example.

I do notice a disturbing trend. Teams that out physical us usually win. Seattle, Carolina, Ravens punch us right in the mouth and it seems like we get intimidated. Our offensive line was horrible on pass blocking. Yuck. Kaepernick looked like a deer in the headlights pretty much all game long. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I feel poorly for the defense because they did their job and put us in a position to win. Our offense was pitiful.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm at a loss for words. It's obvious that losing Vernon hurt but it's no excuse. Roman dialed up a putrid game plan. You attack them like the Panthers attacked us using intermediate quick hitting pass patterns. Aside from that nice pass to Manningham late in the game we didn't even try to hit any of these. I don't know, maybe Carolina's defense is that good but I doubt it. Why is it in these tight ball games we play not to lose? Todays game was a perfect example.

I do notice a disturbing trend. Teams that out physical us usually win. Seattle, Carolina, Ravens punch us right in the mouth and it seems like we get intimidated. Our offensive line was horrible on pass blocking. Yuck. Kaepernick looked like a deer in the headlights pretty much all game long. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I feel poorly for the defense because they did their job and put us in a position to win. Our offense was pitiful.

I totally agree! No toughness on the offense! Outside of Gore!
[ Edited by ejroland on Nov 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by susweel:
has Roman ever had a prolific passing offense ?

Sus it's a college offense that has no answer. And even when the running game is thriving, he goes away from it. I just don't understand.

his play calling was bad all game I know kap played bad but at least call some plays today that will get some easy yards.

In what? He was an offensive line coach most of his coaching career, an offensive assistant for a short time and a running game coordinator at Stanford. I'm at the point where this guy is pissing me off more than Hostler ever did, and at least Hostler had the excuse of having s**t talent for the most part.
Kap checked out of some stuff today and made horrible choices.....I dont think its all Roman
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
its bad because roman is bad its simple.

as good as gore was running there was no reason to stop.

and give kap quick hitting passes so the line can't get to him not 7 step drops to give them time to get there.

its simple really simple

The long 7 step drops were killing me, the OL was getting overrun, they were blitzing like crazy, but they kept on doing it, its like they don't adjust for anyone, they play their offense the way they want to and if it works great, and if doesn't, oh well, sorry. That was absolutely pathetic offense, unbelievable.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In what? He was an offensive line coach most of his coaching career, an offensive assistant for a short time and a running game coordinator at Stanford. I'm at the point where this guy is pissing me off more than Hostler ever did, and at least Hostler had the excuse of having s**t talent for the most part.

I'm with you! I wish he would have got a head coaching job so we could have attempted to get Pep Hamilton! He's creative and utilizes his talent!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Kap checked out of some stuff today and made horrible choices.....I dont think its all Roman

I blame them both, but a QB will have good and bad games, Roman constantly is outcoached/out-strategized by good defensive teams. When's the last time he came up with a good gameplan against a high quality defense? Everytime this team struggles early, sometimes they get it going like against Atlanta and Baltimore in the playoffs, sometimes they completely s**t the bed like against Seattle, Indy and now Carolina.

Originally posted by jreff22:

The coaching staff better start limiting his ability to audible or we will continue to slide especially with going into New Orleans!
The long 7 step drops were killing me, the OL was getting overrun, they were blitzing like crazy, but they kept on doing it, its like they don't adjust for anyone, they play their offense the way they want to and if it works great, and if doesn't, oh well, sorry. That was absolutely pathetic offense, unbelievable.

that's why i cannot put full blame on kap he was running for his life almost every drop back.

give him quick passes let him hit boldin and manningham and macdonald forget the chunk plays go for shot sustaining drive type plays gore is running well keep the power run game up don't start with the pistol stuff

if i am jim harbaugh i go into the locker room and say greg if you run the pistol and get cute instead of dial up power and play action quick passes and screens i will fire you and take over play calling duties period.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
IMHO, Kap is a 2nd year QB who is being coached a particular way - and it's clear the plays that he has to audible too are already scouted and countered - especially by teams that run zone-read runs. It's as if Roman isn't even watching the game while calling successive plays. Still calling 7-step drops and empty sets against a D that's been beating your tackles all game? The two slants that were called were effective. This is why the receivers have no passes. Someone is coaching Kap to always look downfield for the big play. He's not being coached to move through his reads and throw underneath. Furthermore, the 49ers believe so much in this that they often keep Gore in to block instead of using him as another receiver to attack the D.

So what we have is a passing offense that doesn't routinely have slants, outs and screens. This is an offense that has available to it Gore, Hunter and LMJ and never do we see both on the field routinely using the skills of them all. Are we developing LMJ more into a receiver? Clearly the dude can catch and we know how dangerous he is in space. Use him as more of a receiver. It's as if we are convinced the 6 - 10 plays and their variations will work against any team at any time. It's offensive arrogance. We saw this against the Colts and against the Seahawks - the belief that no other team can counter our plays, despite having success with other formation we continue to run the same ineffective scheme.

+1

Especially like the not using James to catch passes. He did line up as a WR near the end of the game. But I guess Kaep isn't comfortable with him. What a joke when Harbaugh says he wants to get James into the game, and then limits him to catching punts and kickoffs. Without our receivers, he should be featured in a Darryl Sproles role.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I blame them both, but a QB will have good and bad games, Roman constantly is outcoached/out-strategized by good defensive teams. When's the last time he came up with a good gameplan against a high quality defense? Everytime this team struggles early, sometimes they get it going like against Atlanta and Baltimore in the playoffs, sometimes they completely s**t the bed like against Seattle, Indy and now Carolina.

Scored 32 point on AZ a top 10 defense. Scored 34 points on a good Texans D. Tennessee has the #7 defense we scored 31
Originally posted by ejroland:
The coaching staff better start limiting his ability to audible or we will continue to slide especially with going into New Orleans!

do we know what he checked out of?

the formations alone were enough to put it on roman. you can't check into power out of the cute formations.
Share 49ersWebzone