There are 233 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
nice game today Roman you stupid f**k

a handoff to Boldin is your brightest idea after a timeout
  • Jiks
It's these short yard situations you should be pulling out the read option IMO.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
It's these short yard situations you should be pulling out the read option IMO.

or todays special the dive into Gerald McCoy's belly on 3rd and short
Our crappy Red Zone production will haunt us in the playoffs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
BRB, having to blow a timeout so they can run some gimmick end-around to the slowest WR on the team.

It wasn't an end around, and it would've gotten the 1st if Snyder sustained his block. Roman does get too cute, but the play call actually should've worked.
IMO come playoff time the better defenses will be able to stop Romans predictable run-run-pass offense. The delayed draw
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
BRB, having to blow a timeout so they can run some gimmick end-around to the slowest WR on the team.

It wasn't an end around, and it would've gotten the 1st if Snyder sustained his block. Roman does get too cute, but the play call actually should've worked.

it should've never been called to begin with
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The stupid fake pass draw when we never actually throw the quick pass, constant 7 step drops for 5 yard completions, one slant that works perfectly but then no other slants ever again. This type of crap is getting annoying and Roman is the only thing between us and a super bowl. He has no idea how to implement a quick passing game.

He has no idea how to effectively create and call a passing game. Kap gets constant pressure on the long drops but he just keeps calling them. If Kap couldn't escape so well he'd have gotten killed today and its all on Roman.

I was hoping to see progress today but I'm losing faith that it'll be fixed for the playoffs. Its gonna be impossible to win 3 road playoff games plus a superbowl DESPITE our OC.
Originally posted by Antix:
The stupid fake pass draw when we never actually throw the quick pass, constant 7 step drops for 5 yard completions, one slant that works perfectly but then no other slants ever again. This type of crap is getting annoying and Roman is the only thing between us and a super bowl. He has no idea how to implement a quick passing game.

He has no idea how to effectively create and call a passing game. Kap gets constant pressure on the long drops but he just keeps calling them. If Kap couldn't escape so well he'd have gotten killed today and its all on Roman.

I was hoping to see progress today but I'm losing faith that it'll be fixed for the playoffs. Its gonna be impossible to win 3 road playoff games plus a superbowl DESPITE our OC.

49ers easily could have lost today if not for Kaepernick pulling rabbits out of a hat and making some ridiculous plays happen. The long dropbacks, the slow developing passing plays, each game Roman shows that he still doesn't get it.
starting only 3wr's forces him to use hunter and james lol

funny though cause if he doesn't they don't get on the field. we need to run teams to death and play action to death and call good calls in the red zone. we were without macdonald we missed him.

its scary.
if he didn't just turn off the offense from the 3rd quarter until the latest drive we would have dropped 40

if he could call plays in the red zone which he still can't still same damn thing for 3 seasons and 1 super bowl later we would have had 35 at the half.

like i said at least we're back to moving the ball and getting into range with a good kicker.

please roman take the next step. don't be cute. run with power run with the edge pass with intent no more timeout then gimmick plays to be cute

49ers easily could have lost today if not for Kaepernick pulling rabbits out of a hat and making some ridiculous plays happen. The long dropbacks, the slow developing passing plays, each game Roman shows that he still doesn't get it.

yup kap played like an elite qb today
no time
no mistakes to lead to turnovers
remember the bucs have been turnover machines the entire season really.

he's getting there just like some of us new he would.

the only issue is timing on deep routes.
and they're almost in sync with that (crab)
he has it with vd.. if vd keeps running and doesn't stutter on the 1st pass it's right in the bread basket.
like the 2nd one was.
Being a Niner fan since '70, I have never, ever complained about play calling. This year, I have. Not sure who to blame, if it is all Roman, why doesn't Harbaugh intervene? Isn't this more Harbaugh? The buck stops with him, especially on offense.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
NC--the only thing I can disagree with from your recent post, and thank you for the lengthy explanation--it helps a great deal, is the WCO not using the RB coming out of the backfield as a primary receiver. There were many times when the primary receiver was the back. The most obvious situations were tight coverage on the WRs and TE with a heavy rush coming from OLBs. Walsh used to kill pass rushers by using the RB over and over...it was intentional and accomplished two things...slowing down the rush and gaining YAC when the RBs were not or under covered. That's what I want to see more of with Gore, Hunter and James.

I'll keep watching and see if I see the same thing you do. It would help a great deal to have video from above for each play!

You are absolutely correct dtg_9er! Sadly, we haven't utilized this concept (yet). It's especially critical against an aggressive box (6-2) like Seattle. Hopefully that will be the next installation for CK and HaRoMan. That said, you are right, just like CK can be his own AR2 on a designed run, you can absolutely make Gore, Hunter, James, Miller and even McDonald AR's as well by design!

The Bucs/Niner game is on TV (hopefully where you live) so if you get to watch it, record it and let me know what you start to see. I'm hoping for more use of the RB's and more PS plays!
But we do use Miller a lot like Tom Rathman was, we had quite a few designed plays to the FB in the flat. We keep Gore in to block more because he's probably a better pass blocker than a receiver. That's not to say he isn't a good receiver, he's just an exceptional blocker.

Using Miller is a great idea as far as I'm concerned because he is often overlooked by the D. They figure they can always catch up with him...and to some extent they are correct. But I'd really like to see James used more as a swing receiver because of his running style...the guy is very shifty.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
or todays special the dive into Gerald McCoy's belly on 3rd and short

At least it's a large target!
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Being a Niner fan since '70, I have never, ever complained about play calling. This year, I have. Not sure who to blame, if it is all Roman, why doesn't Harbaugh intervene? Isn't this more Harbaugh? The buck stops with him, especially on offense.

you see the difference. he shut the offense down content with the score.

we can't do that going forward.

offensively and defensively the time the coordinators shut it down, the bucs had success.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
IMO come playoff time the better defenses will be able to stop Romans predictable run-run-pass offense. The delayed draw

i have seen nothing but effective play calling during all these wins...one of them against the best team in the league
Share 49ersWebzone