LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 244 users in the forums

Nate Clements getting reps at strong safety

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/52166/bengals-clements-seeing-time-at-safety

Remember when so many 49er fans were asking about Clements moving to safety that the Matt's took the question up the hill for Singletary and Mcloughan to answer? They both acted like it was a stupid question that only ignorant fans could come up with, as they both laughed at the idea before answering the question. Well, Zimmer is a widely respected DC, and he must think it's a good idea to get your best players on the field, however they it best, because this report states that Clements is splitting his reps 50/50 b/w CB and SS.

SOOOOOOO glad we have creative and flexible coaching now.
So, Mays at FS and Clements at SS, wonder how that will work out for them. I guess they want to get 1st rd pick Dre Kirkpatrick in opposite Leon Hall.

And yes, thank the heavens for Harbaugh and Fangio. We have a legit Defensive Coordinator.
Smart move.

The Bengals are loaded at CB but have little at safety. Mays is more the SS mold and Reggie Nelson should be their starting FS.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
So, Mays at FS and Clements at SS, wonder how that will work out for them. I guess they want to get 1st rd pick Dre Kirkpatrick in opposite Leon Hall.

And yes, thank the heavens for Harbaugh and Fangio. We have a legit Defensive Coordinator.

I think Mays and clements are both competing at SS. IIRC, the safetie positions are not interchangeable in Zimmer's scheme. I could be wrong on that. It looks like they are trying to kep Pacman on the field in Nickle situations.
You guys are right, forgot about Nelson.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I think Mays and clements are both competing at SS. IIRC, the safetie positions are not interchangeable in Zimmer's scheme. I could be wrong on that. It looks like they are trying to kep Pacman on the field in Nickle situations.

I'm sure they realize that Mays wasn't a diamond in the rough, and now they're scrambling.
I agree with your point, but Clements is older now.....it's almost a no brainer
Originally posted by danimal:
I agree with your point, but Clements is older now.....it's almost a no brainer

Yeah, but he was getting torched every week except for the 2 AZ games when he was w/us, too
Yeah, but he was getting torched every week except for the 2 AZ games when he was w/us, too

Yeah he was getting torched in Manusky's weak arse deep zone defense. I wont lie. I'd like to have seen how well he played in Fangio's defense. Fits his style of play much better. He was misused during his entire tenure with this organization in my opinion.
always thought he would make a good safety. they might need more CBs after wasting a pick on kirkpatrick

Mays is starting at SS against the Jets tonight. Wonder how long that will last?
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Mays is starting at SS against the Jets tonight. Wonder how long that will last?

Mays left the game w/an injury...
Originally posted by KezarLivin:

Mays left the game w/an injury...

lol..
Yeah Super glad we have JH & his staff
Mays......nuff said......
Share 49ersWebzone