There are 175 users in the forums

Why did we ever Trade SHAUN HILL? Never Understood it!

Shop 49ers game tickets
I never understood it either. If we kept him, we would have been in strong contention for playoffs last year. He knows how to read defenses (like the other poster said) & he takes care of the ball. Its too bad.
its all part of the conspiracy--if niners keep hill they win 2 or 3 superbowls in a row, niners cant suck for luck and yorks cant relocate team to los angeles and alex smith gives the press the pics of his and jed's road trip to tijuana
Shaun Hill sucked. I don't understand the fans that wish he was a 49er.
Because he can't throw more than 10 yards.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
both can be true, can't they? I honestly don't care. The guy was a winner, but was limited throwing the ball. Singletary's Alex Smith love may be the reason he got traded, but that cannot be substantiated by you or anyone else on this board. Conspiracy theory, thats all it is.

What can be substantiated is the fact that he is a career backup. A good one, but a backup nonetheless.

No, both can't be true. Your statement is nothing more than a ridiculous exaggeration. As an example, here's a random YouTube clip which contains some Hill passes:

Which one of those passes looked like a punt to you?

There was no reason to trade Shaun Hill away other than the obvious, which was to take pressure off of Alex Smith because, apparently, everything has to be perfect in order for him to do anything. Hill won games, put up good numbers, made very few mistakes, wasn't draining the bank account, his teammates rallied around him, etc... There is no other reason to get rid of him other than Alex Smith's comfort.

My reasoning is backed by logic, yours is just a failed attempt at humor.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
both can be true, can't they? I honestly don't care. The guy was a winner, but was limited throwing the ball. Singletary's Alex Smith love may be the reason he got traded, but that cannot be substantiated by you or anyone else on this board. Conspiracy theory, thats all it is.

What can be substantiated is the fact that he is a career backup. A good one, but a backup nonetheless.

No, both can't be true. Your statement is nothing more than a ridiculous exaggeration. As an example, here's a random YouTube clip which contains some Hill passes:

There was no reason to trade Shaun Hill away other than the obvious, which was to take pressure off of Alex Smith because, apparently, everything has to be perfect in order for him to do anything. Hill won games, put up good numbers, made very few mistakes, wasn't draining the bank account, his teammates rallied around him, etc... There is no other reason to get rid of him other than Alex Smith's comfort.

Okay. Sure it might have been an exaggeration, but it far from ridiculous and had plenty of basis in fact.

So they traded a guy who supposedly according to you was the second coming to make everything perfect for a guy who has failed the prior 6 seasons? Gimme a break. And it has nothing to do with the fact that he was a very limited passer? Think whatever you want. Your hatred for Alex Smith is clouding your judgement, and you logic is flawed. Hill's own receiver said he threw punts. I don't need your highlight vid to show me what I've already seen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He threw punts

/thread

Bullsh*t. Those thrown "punts" moved the sticks, put points on the board and won games.

He was traded because Singletary didn't want any competition for Alex Smith. If anybody believes otherwise, they're delusional.

Now, [/thread]

Very much agree with this. Keeping him probably would've saved his job instead of picking up Troy Smith.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

He threw punts

/thread

Bullsh*t. Those thrown "punts" moved the sticks, put points on the board and won games.

He was traded because Singletary didn't want any competition for Alex Smith. If anybody believes otherwise, they're delusional.

Now, [/thread]

Very much agree with this. Keeping him probably would've saved his job instead of picking up Troy Smith.

I doubt keeping Hill would have saved his job. Singletary was simply too inept as a HC. And I'm in no way saying that I agreed with the trade, because I didn't.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

He threw punts

/thread

Now, [/thread]

I doubt keeping Hill would have saved his job. Singletary was simply too inept as a HC. And I'm in no way saying that I agreed with the trade, because I didn't.

I bet Hill would've beat the Rams in St. Louis when Troy Smith couldn't do it.

He threw punts

/thread

Now, [/thread]

Possibly. We'll never know will we.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

He threw punts

/thread

Now, [/thread]

Possibly. We'll never know will we.

True. /discussion.
Who says "we" traded Hill for a 7th? It was done by McCloughan.
It always looked a little suspicious with March 7 David Carr signing; March 14 Hill traded; March 17 McCloughan fired. Maybe someone didn't bother (or was in no condition) to let anyone else (like Jed York) know what was happening with the QB situation? As I recall, Jed made an unplanned overnight come back from Europe or somewhere to chair the meeting where Scotty was fired. A real explanation was never given.

Okay. Sure it might have been an exaggeration, but it far from ridiculous and had plenty of basis in fact.

So they traded a guy who supposedly according to you was the second coming to make everything perfect for a guy who has failed the prior 6 seasons? Gimme a break. And it has nothing to do with the fact that he was a very limited passer? Think whatever you want. Your hatred for Alex Smith is clouding your judgement, and you logic is flawed. Hill's own receiver said he threw punts. I don't need your highlight vid to show me what I've already seen.

sometimes I wonder if I'm the only who follows this team...or at least most news events that go along with it. Anyway...if you don't remember Singletary ADMITTED IT later that year, that he did it so Alex didn't have to look over his shoulder...I believe it was a radio interview after losing some games and the media finally not being scared of him.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

sometimes I wonder if I'm the only who follows this team...or at least most news events that go along with it. Anyway...if you don't remember Singletary ADMITTED IT later that year, that he did it so Alex didn't have to look over his shoulder...I believe it was a radio interview after losing some games and the media finally not being scared of him.

Does anyone have a link to the interview that Singletary admits why he traded Hill?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Shaun hill > Alex Smith

lol keep hearing this from diff people about every QB that been on the roster for the last 5-6 yrs, Why is it that Smith is the only one still here? Maybe Urbam Meyer was actually right all along....
Share 49ersWebzone