LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

[RUMORS] inside source: 49ers to discuss trade for Samuel

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So we didn't want to pay Joseph that much, but we might be willing to trade a high draft pick and pay the same amount for the older Samuel?

Where did you read how much we offered?
So we didn't want to pay Joseph that much, but we might be willing to trade a high draft pick and pay the same amount for the older Samuel?

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
wait a sec. so we're willing to trade for Samuel and take over his $9+million contract? i would have much rather paid a younger Nnamdi or Joseph

This, I'd really hate for us to trade a draft pick, 3rd or 4th at highest.. but I'd want DRC, I wouldn't want samuels. for that price, we might as well wait till the draft next year and get a db with our pick in the 2nd round..

since you know we will have a top 5 pick.....
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
that would be the stupidest s**t if we give up a 2nd

he is better than any cb we could find in the 2nd round......and he has excelled in NE and PHI

This. Normally I would not be OK with a trade like this, but it is slim pickings in the free agent market right now. He is still one of the better corners in the league, and unlike Clements, is a pure man cover corner. The Eagles have always been aggressive with their schemes and rely on their corners to hold their own in coverage. Samuel is capable of doing this and would be an upgrade over Nate.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I also hear the cardinals are on it as well. All depends on where he wants to wind his career down at.

He's gonna be Nate Clements' veteran replacement. -We're not even good enough to enter the Cromartie/Carr/Marshall race.

And who the heck told you.....DaFaro49ers.
Originally posted by zBrah:
doubt the niners get him

They will, it's the f**king 49ers. We'll take an old dude with a s**tty contract over something better on the market (which we'll not even bother to compete for).

Baalke should be f**king fired after this season, this is f**king pathetic.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
that would be the stupidest s**t if we give up a 2nd

he is better than any cb we could find in the 2nd round......and he has excelled in NE and PHI

This. Normally I would not be OK with a trade like this, but it is slim pickings in the free agent market right now. He is still one of the better corners in the league, and unlike Clements, is a pure man cover corner. The Eagles have always been aggressive with their schemes and rely on their corners to hold their own in coverage. Samuel is capable of doing this and would be an upgrade over Nate.

you'd want to give up a high 2nd round pick?

I'd understand if we were on the brink of playoffs, but new coach, new system, no qbs, and you want to give up a 2nd rounder thats top 5?
Originally posted by toeknee:

Where did you read how much we offered?

Well we didn't sign him so we obviously weren't willing to spend that much on him.

wait a sec. so we're willing to trade for Samuel and take over his $9+million contract? i would have much rather paid a younger Nnamdi or Joseph

That's also dependent on whether either wanted to come here. Hate to say it

Originally posted by b9er37:

That's also dependent on whether either wanted to come here. Hate to say it

I don't think Samuel's contract would be an issue because none of it's guaranteed. (IIRC) If he doesn't play well, we're not on the hook, whereas we would be if we signed Nnamdi or Joseph.

I'm more concerned about giving up the pick. I didn't see enough of the Eagles last year to know if he's still worth a 2nd Rounder at this point.
Quote:
The Eagles plan to carry call three of their Pro Bowl corners "unless they get a good trade offer," according to the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane.

The immediate speculation is that the Eagles are willing to trade incumbent Asante Samuel, who has been an "excused absence" from camp so far. As they shift to a more physical defense under Juan Castillo, they could be looking to start two bump and run corners in Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. However, Samuel is due over $9 million and it will be extremely difficult to get equal value. It's possible the Eagles are simply loading up for a Super Bowl run in 2011.

Good Trade offer = overpayment

ie 2nd rounder
I know he is 30 and has had injuries... gets burned at times but 42 career ints since 03. I don't know about a 2nd... maybe 3rd plus some. Still wish we would have just signed Joseph who is 3 years younger.
Not a chance in the world we get Samuel. Simply not happening.
Patriots will end up getting him for like a 6th round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone