LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

Left too early, stayed too long

Shop 49ers game tickets
Glen Coffee, left too early.
Napoleon Kauffman - RB for Raiders was becoming a very good back when arubtly retired.

Chris Carter - stayed too long. Shouldn't if gone to Miami.

John Taylor - he still had a lot left.

Desmond Howard - bounced around for so many teams . 7 I think. Should've left sooner

Terrel Davis - could've been all time great if not for injuries
Every player who can't walk at the age of 50 or pick up the grandkids, due to injury or just beaten to a pulp. Almost all the old guys played with injuries and shot up pain killers rather than sit out a game.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders did it right, go out on top...while you still have some chance of a healthy old age.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 13, 2011 at 09:49:52 ]
Emmitt Smith was a product of that dominant offensive line and was mediocre.

He wasn't a truly great back like a Terrell Davis or a Shaun Alexander. Those guys just showed so many moves and skills and talents and stuff.

I don't know ANY other backs who could've done it in their situations.

[ Edited by DuhWinning on Mar 14, 2011 at 20:15:29 ]
Jeff Fuller - Left too early but it was because of injury as we all know

Jerry Rice - Stayed too long, not to the point of Favre but he shouldn't have gone to Seattle or Denver and we should have kept him away from Oakland.

Steve Mariucci - left too early. I felt this move was the one that started the Yorks down the path of being hated by 49ers fans. MAriucci should have been able to stay longer.
Originally posted by DuhWinning:

He wasn't a truly great back like a Terrell Davis or a Shaun Alexander. Those guys just showed so many moves and skills and talents and stuff.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh............
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Originally posted by DuhWinning:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh............

lol, yeah you said it. emmitt was a productive of his line, unlike Shaun Alexander........HAHAHAHAHA.
If there was ever a product of a great line, its Alexander. HOF LT and LG clearing holes you could drive a car through. Seriously, Davis and Alexander are your examples of great backs?
Michael Strahan-left to early, he was at the peak of his game and was wreaking havoc on QB's and offenses.

Mike Alstott-left to early although it was due to an injury he was still in beast mode.

Edgerrin James-Stayed wayyyy to long. He was a few years past his prime before he finally retired.

Jamal Lewis-Stayed to long

Vinny Testeverde-WAYYYYYYYYY to long

Mark Brunnell-Wayyyyyyy to long-retire already old man!
Dave Krieg stayed long enough to own all the records you don't want. Definitely too long in that case.

I agree that Robert Smith left too early cause they had a lot of pieces in that offense. He did get injured alot but really seemed like a smart guy so who knows.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Steve Young hands down

Steve left when he needed to, for his own sake.

Emmit Smith was a f**kin beast dude, ur trippin if you think he was mediocre. its easy to call an old guy at the end of his career that but in his prime he was a premier back and owns almost every rb record there is.

tim brown should be added to the stayed too long list.
jamarcus russel stayed too long
brett favre is just an a*****e...
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Emmit Smith was a f**kin beast dude, ur trippin if you think he was mediocre. its easy to call an old guy at the end of his career that but in his prime he was a premier back and owns almost every rb record there is.

tim brown should be added to the stayed too long list.
jamarcus russel stayed too long
brett favre is just an a*****e...

I preferred Barry Saunders but Smith was, without any doubt, a top back.

Giving all the credit to his (excellent) line is about as wet as saying Rice was only average, it was all down to the HoF qb's who threw him the ball.

I dont like saying nice things about Cowboys, but we should be adult enough to recognise talent, even when they play for Dallas
I agree with HailJerry. Jim Brown should be at the top of any "left too early" list. I think maybe he was seduced by Hollywood, but when he left, he was still easily the most dominating player in the league. And, of course Barry Sanders. Steve Young should have had a much longer career, but he shouldn't be on the list because he didn't leave out of choice.
Share 49ersWebzone