LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 217 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a point I was making midseason. When I was throwing around names like Dirk Koetter in October/early November. If we only had an average offense, average redzone offense, etc, this is an 11-3/12-2 team. The defense could really cut loose with some real leads. I'm having a hard time believing/accepting that Jim Harbaugh, who played in the NFL for 14 seasons would not adapt, grow, and change to stay ahead of the curve. Whatever this issue is, I don't think it is irreparable.

The key is that you need that leadership that Harbaugh brings. Its not just the offensive improvement, you need someone that can carry the locker room. You could bring in someone to improve the offense.....and still end up with a worse overall result. You need a top quality manager type that can bring it all together and have everyone on the same page, keep people motivated...etc. That to me is Harbaugh's greatest ability, offense aside, you need someone that is credible as a team leader.

Gase to me has tremendous potential to be a great head coach but as a guy who has never played the game, will he have that credibility in the locker room to run a whole roster of players and a whole cadre of coaches....I do not know. In Denver he is helped out because Peyton has his back, so everyone else on that offense falls in line. How will he handle dealing with an entire locker room, that's the million dollar question.

I have the same concerns regarding Hamilton and Shanahan. I'd like to think that they can all do a good job but history tells us that one, if not more will end up falling flat on their face and will shortly return to being a coordinator.

That's why I'm definitely not in the "YEAH, GTFO Harbaugh" crowd. He'a a very good coach and brings a lot to the table, if he was willing to change up his offensive scheme a bit, find someone more experienced and competent to handle the playcalling, I'd be happy to have him stay with the 49ers with the next decade. Its tough to win 10+ games in the NFL, year in and year out and especially to win playoff games on the road. Harbaugh has gotten this team over the top and I'd love for him to stay with some changes on the offensive side but if he isn't willing to do so, I don't know what the front office is supposed to but start looking elsewhere. So I really really hope he stays and this team goes through a reboot of sorts after an "off year" but as each day goes by, that seems less and less likely and I'm about 95% sure he's gone.

Here is the thing concerning the bolded. Would you have faith he could bring in said OC. From what I know he couldn't hire a coach for a lateral move so it would be someone none of us are aware of. Based on his confidence in Roman and how long he let him steer the ship I have no confidence he can bring in the right guy hence why I feel he just has to go completely and get that up and coming offensive mind
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He had 2 seasons left on his deal coming into this season. 2 years! There was no reason for this shi* we've seen this season!

2 years on paper, but everyone knew this was very likely his last. Those reports were coming in before the season even started, and really came to a head when it was revealed there were discussions with the Browns for a possible trade.

The reports don't even matter, it's what's going inside the building that matters. Harbaugh and management have been preparing for a breakup for quite some time. Given what we know now, it's no surprise it lead to a poor performance on the field.
You can't pick and choose what the media reports as true and false to fit your needs. Either all reports are true or all or false
Originally posted by teylo31:
You can't pick and choose what the media reports as true and false to fit your needs. Either all reports are true or all or false

It seems like they were all true.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

No, actually it doesn't work like that at all. Some are true and some are false.
Originally posted by kray28:
No, actually it doesn't work like that at all. Some are true and some are false.

Yup, and it's gotten to the point were the media has a very strong read on the situation. It's moved past the point of speculation.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He had 2 seasons left on his deal coming into this season. 2 years! There was no reason for this shi* we've seen this season!

2 years on paper, but everyone knew this was very likely his last. Those reports were coming in before the season even started, and really came to a head when it was revealed there were discussions with the Browns for a possible trade.

The reports don't even matter, it's what's going inside the building that matters. Harbaugh and management have been preparing for a breakup for quite some time. Given what we know now, it's no surprise it lead to a poor performance on the field.

let me ask you this

would we even be having this conversation if we were 11-3 and in the playoffs right now?

Yes, the media reports/browns trade are what jumpstarted this situation, but it's become a reality because of ONE losing season in 4 years, in which we've had multiple week injuries to

Bowman
Willis
Dorsey
Kilgore
Williams
Brock
Culliver
Borland
Martin
Davis
V McDonald
Carrier
Ward
ASmith
Skuta
+ i'm sure i'm missing more

Nobody knows what has been happening behind the scenes, but none of it would matter if we were winning this season, which makes it easier for York to make a dumb move and get rid of Harbaugh
Originally posted by kray28:

Yes but as a fan you have no idea until it is all said and done which it isn't yet but people have already decided what is true and what isn't based on their own agendas
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

let me ask you this

would we even be having this conversation if we were 11-3 and in the playoffs right now?

Yes, the media reports/browns trade are what jumpstarted this situation, but it's become a reality because of ONE losing season in 4 years, in which we've had multiple week injuries to

Bowman
Willis
Dorsey
Kilgore
Williams
Brock
Culliver
Borland
Martin
Davis
V McDonald
Carrier
Ward
ASmith
Skuta
+ i'm sure i'm missing more

Nobody knows what has been happening behind the scenes, but none of it would matter if we were winning this season, which makes it easier for York to make a dumb move and get rid of Harbaugh

No doubt the losing season makes it easier for York to dump Harbaugh, though it still won't be a popular move, and rightly so. People should be upset.

To answer your question if we would be having this discussion if we were 11-3....yes, I think we would. There were rumblings about this being SB or bust for Harbaugh, and even a SB win wasn't even a guarantee he'd be back. Whether you want to believe these reports is up to you, but given all that is transpiring, it seems like the media were on top of this situation from the get go. Everything they've reported is coming to fruition.

The 49ers were looking into offloading Harbaugh before this season even started. We were coming off 3 straight NFCCG appearances, and 1 SB appearance. What's going on now is beyond just wins and losses. This is a philosophical conflict. Yeah, we don't know exactly what's being said behind the scenes, but we know what the end result is going to be.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM ]
Let's look at this idea. Jed biggest beef might be that Harbaugh is dipping into his pocket book. Here me out. I'm not sure if I believe it but just another perspective. The 49ers didn't get any playoff games at home last year and that didn't allow the 49ers to create as much postseason revenue as home games. This year No home playoff games and no playoffs period. That is a huge part of being an owner because it's your business and lively hood. Just ask yourself how you deal and treat people who cost you money. If I'm way off base disregard as I dont want to get into an unnecessary personal battle. Just something that crossed my mind

I ask you is this acceptable? I have spent a ton of money supporting this team and I had faith in our coaching and the talent assembled this season and this is what I get for my patronage? To me this has been unacceptable as far as what I have witnessed offensively! I feel that our guys on defense have given an effort for the ages even with the most extreme of adversities but our offense let me down. I just feel that someone somewhere just didn't give a f***! After we got beat in the NFCCG and the way the calls went the other way I thought our guys would be fired up this season full with revenge to make things right but the business side got in the way. This disgusts me. I ain't even playing and yet I am full of fire about this team. Please don't tell me that our players and coaches haven't felt the same way. Makes me wonder should I not invest so much of my life in this team and a bit more towards my own kids. Of course I probably should but selfishly the 49ers are just one of a few things I can have for myself!
Let's look at this idea. Jed biggest beef might be that Harbaugh is dipping into his pocket book. Here me out. I'm not sure if I believe it but just another perspective. The 49ers didn't get any playoff games at home last year and that didn't allow the 49ers to create as much postseason revenue as home games. This year No home playoff games and no playoffs period. That is a huge part of being an owner because it's your business and lively hood. Just ask yourself how you deal and treat people who cost you money. If I'm way off base disregard as I dont want to get into an unnecessary personal battle. Just something that crossed my mind

That's a fair question. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the NFL has a revenue sharing program. The big money is from TV, and that gets distributed to all 32 teams, playoffs or not.

I ask you is this acceptable? I have spent a ton of money supporting this team and I had faith in our coaching and the talent assembled this season and this is what I get for my patronage? To me this has been unacceptable as far as what I have witnessed offensively! I feel that our guys on defense have given an effort for the ages even with the most extreme of adversities but our offense let me down. I just feel that someone somewhere just didn't give a f***! After we got beat in the NFCCG and the way the calls went the other way I thought our guys would be fired up this season full with revenge to make things right but the business side got in the way. This disgusts me. I ain't even playing and yet I am full of fire about this team. Please don't tell me that our players and coaches haven't felt the same way. Makes me wonder should I not invest so much of my life in this team and a bit more towards my own kids. Of course I probably should but selfishly the 49ers are just one of a few things I can have for myself!

I'm with you. In no way do I think this is acceptable. It's a very s**tty situation, and I'm pissed. I'm just trying to lay down all the info to get a clear understanding of wtf is going on with our team.

That's a fair question. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the NFL has a revenue sharing program. The big money is from TV, and that gets distributed to all 32 teams, playoffs or not.

TV money is one thing and I'm not sure how that works but ticket sales, concessions and gear that's a lot of money during playoffs and I don't know how that is split if at all
I feel bad for the folks who doled out thousands to watch a s**tty team at a sub par venue.
Share 49ersWebzone