There are 211 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Every once in awhile Harbaugh blurts out something that just cracks me up. Here's one of those:

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/5-Locker-Room-Observations-Nov-21/c2b456be-58b5-405e-994b-f581f947b9bf

Informed that he had the ninth-most career rushing yards by a quarterback in NFL history, Harbaugh quipped: "Try not to keep that to yourselves," Harbaugh told reporters. "See if you can kind of get that out there a little bit. I don't want to carry my own water. Humility would prevent me from doing that. Just see what you can do. Spread the word."

That's hilarious!

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Every once in awhile Harbaugh blurts out something that just cracks me up. Here's one of those:

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/5-Locker-Room-Observations-Nov-21/c2b456be-58b5-405e-994b-f581f947b9bf

Informed that he had the ninth-most career rushing yards by a quarterback in NFL history, Harbaugh quipped: "Try not to keep that to yourselves," Harbaugh told reporters. "See if you can kind of get that out there a little bit. I don't want to carry my own water. Humility would prevent me from doing that. Just see what you can do. Spread the word."

That's hilarious!

If only he would say stuff like that more often (to the media).

But, that really did crack me up.

What about this guy as the new HC? Of course his offenses suck much of the time too.

There was an article recently posted by someone one here (sorry, I don't recall who) that described Harbaugh as being very instinctive and not a planner. At first I thought that just meant he wasn't a Nolan type, coming into his interview with laminated team plans; but now I'm wondering if it has kept the offense from progressing in an orderly way.

I'm sure the offensive coaches must have plans of some type, but having a loose cannon HC who wants to manage games by instinct is troubling to me. Great coaches tend to be very focused and intensely into the game plan so instinct can be used, but within that well thought out plan. Also, watching Harbaugh on the sidelines doesn't give me much confidence in his ability to use instinct from moment to moment to enhance playcalling.

His stregnth is overall football knowledge, leadership skills like motivation, loyalty, and competitive fire.

So, where to go in analyzing how to fix the offense? Roman either needs to take the slack and run the plan, or he needs to be replaced by someone who can, or Harbaugh needs to be replaced. This makes me sad as I don't think this team turns around without him. The coaches he attracted are first rate on defense. But which offensive coaches seem top knotch? None?

Just for fun, I tried to put on my astrology hat to devine grades for the coaches.

Edit: This is not easy as much depends on the players selected in each area for the coach to work with. Seely received an A rather than an A+ because he has no dynamic kick returner, but his overall record is really good with field position. Roman received a C because I just can't blame him for the whole lethargy of the offense. Rathman's A might be too high given his working with superior talent...and so on.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 23, 2014 at 7:23 AM ]
Why is Eric Mangini associated with the 49ers? Why? He is and has always been a cancer. Who wanted him on this team. Find the person that wanted Mangini and you find a major problem with the management or coaching.
Like I have been saying for awhile our D coaches are tops in the league as a group. Seely I'd lower that to B or B+ we have had some problems this year with ST coverage and returns. Id say 2011 was A+, that ST team was best I've ever seen. Almost wanted the other team to take it out of the end zone because you knew they would get stopped short of the 20. I think we need to fire all O coaches minus Rathman who is the only one who does his job. Mangini came in to consult with our offense it goes downhill. Now he's a TE coach and our TE's went downhill. Get rid of Roman, Chryst, Mangini, Solari and Morton. Do whatever it takes to keep our D coaches and Rathman. I really hope Harbaugh puts loyalty aside and gets rid of some or all of those guys. At least Solari, Roman and Mangini.
Originally posted by audick:
Why is Eric Mangini associated with the 49ers? Why? He is and has always been a cancer. Who wanted him on this team. Find the person that wanted Mangini and you find a major problem with the management or coaching.

Hes probably the rat, did it to belichick.
Jim is Jim. You know what you are going to get with Jim. The only thing that I am disappointed with is that he is not the offensive genius that he was touted as being when he came out of Stanford.
Why do you hate Mangini??? Carrier seems to be a promising TE. McDonald was subpar last season as well.
Originally posted by communist:
Why do you hate Mangini??? Carrier seems to be a promising TE. McDonald was subpar last season as well.

He was hired (supposedly) to help with TEs. The TE production has fallen down a well. Ergo...Mangini might be a less than inspiring coach.

Davis was on holdout and injured then a lot. There is no room to do anything from coaching side because the time during the regular season is way too limitied.
Carrier came from nowhere and made some impact. McDonald was still subpar. Mangini is a TE-coach since this season, irrc.
So giving him a F is way too harsh imho.
Originally posted by communist:
Davis was on holdout and injured then a lot. There is no room to do anything from coaching side because the time during the regular season is way too limitied.
Carrier came from nowhere and made some impact. McDonald was still subpar. Mangini is a TE-coach since this season, irrc.
So giving him a F is way too harsh imho.

Probably! I've never really liked his analysis or coaching so...my bias is showing.
Jim's 4th down decision pretty much won the game in the end. -If that didn't happen we'd either lose, or go into another OT situation.

Oh, and it needs to be said that there were numerous points in the game where they put the camera on Jim, and his body language showed a high sense of displeasure over the calls he was delivering to Kap. I know I could be reading too deeply into things, but Jim makes those signature 'faces' when he doesn't like something, and looking at how the clock was constantly winding down to 0 before the snap, that could easily signify some hesitancy/changes.
JH has a certain style of play that he likes and he surrounds himself with coaches who share his philosophy. Hard to fire someone for doing what you want him to do.

What is clear is that the offense is not as good as the talent. What is not clear is whose fault is that, JH's or Roman's? Remember Jimmy Raye said he did know modern offenses and was not out of touch, but simply followed Singletarry's orders.

The offense has sucked in exactly the same way for a long time. The problem is obviously being ignored. Does anyone think this offense would suck if, say, Chip Kelly ran the offense?
My conspiracy theories for the week, so yes these are speculation and extrapolation:

1) Maybe Harbaugh consciously keeps the team in tight situations for the guys to stay on their toes. But even so, I'd think Harbaugh would know that messing with the offense like that would kill any rhythm and flow as the season moves along. It would just go against getting to the promised land.

2) Maybe Harbaugh wants out, but doesn't want to outright quit. Maybe his energy is gone and he's just seeing what the breaking point could be. Then again, I don't think Harbaugh would do something like that to mess with a year of these guys' careers.

Crazy? Maybe. Wanted to throw these out there anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone