There are 208 users in the forums

Carson Palmer a Raider Update Pg 48

Shop 49ers game tickets
Carson Palmer reportedly wants out of Cincinnati

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/23/carson-palmer-wants-out-of-cincinnati/

I wouldn't give up much to get him from the Bengals, but if they would take a 5th rounder or less I wouldn't mind that trade.

Before his injuries (mostly his elbow injury), Palmer was on the verge of becoming one of the elite QB's in the league. I remember discussions of placing him in the top 5 QB's in the league.

What are your thoughts about Palmer?

I think just like Alex, some change of scenery could do him some good.

I definitely like the thought of Palmer more than the thought of Smith or McNabb, but ONLY if we also draft or bring in some young talent to develop. Palmer as a 2-3 year stop gap sounds good.
I hope nobody in here bashing Palmer wants McNabb.
I would take Carson if not required to have too much. I would give a 3rd and 4th or so...
I recall Palmer commenting to reporters just before the draft about being taken number one by the Bengals. He stated, and I quote... "Doesn't matter if it's the San Francisco 49ers or the Cincinnati Bengals..."

Sounded to me like he was a 49ers fan at heart and if that’s true I could see him coming to San Fran. Not sure how familiar he is with the WCO but I don’t hate the idea.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Id take Palmer, Hassleback, Kolb, Orton or Mcnaab at this point I think Jim can revive their careers especially Carson

"Ditto"
Carson!
He doesn't fit the west coast offense

1. he's not accurate

2. has NO "athletic instincts"

at this point he's drew bledsoe 2.0....that is all
It's a decent option that I wouldn't mind if:

1 It doesn't cost too much in trade (late 4th rounder?)
2 He's completely recovered from any injuries
3 Restructured contract
4 Harbaugh wants him

....better option than anything realistic for next season so far.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Id take Palmer, Hassleback, Kolb, Orton or Mcnaab at this point I think Jim can revive their careers especially Carson

"Ditto"

a lot of solid options out there!
If Harbaugh wants him then I am fine with it. I just hope they don't give anything more than a 4th round pick for him. We have two 4ths this year.

I still want Harbaugh to get a young QB to develop, which I think he will regardless. We only have one QB under contract for next year, if you want to call him that.

Palmer + Rookie + Troy Smith or other 3rd string QB I SHOULDN'T care about!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:

nfldraftscout New Era Scouting

Would welcome Carson Palmer to SF with open arms. #49ers
Didn't Peter King predict Palmer to 49ers a month ago?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
If Harbaugh wants him then I am fine with it. I just hope they don't give anything more than a 4th round pick for him. We have two 4ths this year.

I still want Harbaugh to get a young QB to develop, which I think he will regardless. We only have one QB under contract for next year, if you want to call him that.

Palmer + Rookie + Troy Smith or other 3rd string QB I SHOULDN'T care about!

I'd give both 4th round picks for Palmer.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
He doesn't fit the west coast offense

1. he's not accurate

2. has NO "athletic instincts"

at this point he's drew bledsoe 2.0....that is all

What you said doesn't matter. Whomever we trade/sign this offseason is just a stopgap, 2 years maximum. If Palmer doesn't "fit" the system I couldn't care less, as long as he can throw the ball(which he clearly can based on his stats) I am completely fine with us going after Palmer.

On top of what I just said, this is probably the most surprising news for the 9ers. McNabb might be retained/the redskins ask for an ungodly high price of a first or 2nd round pick combination and same with Kolb. Josh Johnson is probably the best option because he knows WCO and his history with Harbaugh and shouldn't have a very high asking price attached to him.

In the overall scope of just finding a good qb at a decent trade price Palmer is nearly a can't miss type of trade, but if you are thinking long term WCO then Johnson becomes our best trade option.
I'd take Palmer in a second for a 3rd or lower over McNabb, Orton, or any other available qb not named Kolb. For his entire career he's had diva wide receivers dictating how many throws they should get. Remember, Chad Ochocinco punched his head coach at half time of the playoff game against the Steelers in which they were winning b/c he wasn't getting enough balls thrown his way. He's had to deal with Ocho, TJ, Chris Henry (rip), and T.O. Played against a great division with a limited offensive-coaching staff. He's not the same player before the knee injury, but he's far from done. He'd right away be the best qb we've had since Garcia. I think the problem is we see teams with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger and think we must have one of them to win. Not every team can have a franchise qb, although it is ideal. You do need an adequate QB. Take a look at our division, and tell me there's a reason why Palmer can't merely do what Sanchez and Cutler have done for their teams? Our division sucks, Palmer is good enough to get us to the playoffs. Trade for Palmer and draft a qb and let him sit for 2 years.
Share 49ersWebzone