Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Just have a quick skills contest.

Longest punt>>>>>>>>>>>>5 pts
Longest FG>>>>>>>>>>>>>5 pts
Farthest pass thrown>>>>>>>7 pts
Fastest 40 yd dash>>>>>>>>8 pts
HC hot dog eating contest>>>>10 pts

Whatever you do guys, don't let the Eagles/Cowboys/Jets tie this game up and send it into overtime.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Why not just play another 15 minutes?

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change

Both teams having failed to achieve a win within the regulated period, neither team is entitled to the points. Game over. No overtime. Finish.
I think that idea would flop more than an Italian soccer player.

I still feel a period of around 5 extra minutes should be played to settle OT. That's plenty of time for both teams to at least get a crack on offense.

Why would it flop? Give half a point to each side. Or, if the American psyche can't stomach a drawn game, play until the first team scores. But a drawn game is a perfectly valid result in most sports, except in playoffs and cup-tie's.

Whatever you do guys, don't let the Eagles/Cowboys/Jets tie this game up and send it into overtime.

rex ryan will lead the jets to the super bowl
[ Edited by phatbutskinny on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
OT in the NFL is retarded....it blatantly favors the winner of the coin toss. (coin toss winner wins the game 60% of time). If any rule needs changing it's OT.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I agree...

I'm not big on change..but if they're going to change keep going for 15 minute quarters till someone is winning at the end of one.

because there will be situations when a team could be better suited to win in 5 quarters vs 4.

The game of football is designed to be fair in every single aspect for the regulation period. A tie is a FAILURE of both teams to claim victory. Both teams SHOULD lose the right to a fair over time period.

Overtime is not fair and that is by design. This is how you discourage teams playing FOR overtime.

The rule should not change

Both teams having failed to achieve a win within the regulated period, neither team is entitled to the points. Game over. No overtime. Finish.

Those would be ideal conditions, but T's don't look good in the record columns.

Makes the most sense but probably would lead to more injuries. Maybe go with a seven minute overtime. Of course, that kills sudden death, no pun intended.

I would prefer they just left it the way it is. I'm sick of people crying about it not being fair. If those that lose the coin toss don't like it, then stop 'em and get the ball back, don't be a weenie and change the rules just because you think defenses aren't good enough. That’s just weak.

If you’re going to change anything, get rid of the damn coin toss and have a jump ball like in basketball or a face off like hockey. Don't change the rules.
Originally posted by vermonator:

Makes the most sense but probably would lead to more injuries. Maybe go with a seven minute overtime. Of course, that kills sudden death, no pun intended.

I would prefer they just left it the way it is. I'm sick of people crying about it not being fair. If those that lose the coin toss don't like it, then stop 'em and get the ball back, don't be a weenie and change the rules just because you think defenses aren't good enough. That’s just weak.

If you’re going to change anything, get rid of the damn coin toss and have a jump ball like in basketball or a face off like hockey. Don't change the rules.

I don't think it's so much about being fair, but rather about the game having a lame finish. It's hard to deny that winning the coin toss does not have a correlation with winning the game since the offense only needs to get to about the 35 yd line. People just want to see a chance for both teams to get a crack on offense.

the raiders would win..since dhb can run the 40, russell can throw the ball a mile(not straight) and he would win the hot dog eating contest..and lechler and janikowski doing the kicking...i cant believe i just wrote that much about the raiders
Each team gets a drive and if one team scores and the other doesn't, they win (TD beating a FG), otherwise the team that scores in fewer plays wins.

It'd be cool b/c it'd make both teams aggressive, yet keep it fair. And the coin flip choice'd be an interesting decision.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Either keep it the way it is or go with the rule change proposal here.

Basically the new rule should be, first team to 6 points. I would still be happy keeping it the way it is.

Share 49ersWebzone