LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

Texans CB Dunta Robinson not expected to be franchised

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Didn't see a thread on it.

Adam Schefter says via Twitter:

"Just like Panthers are allowing DE Julius Peppers to leave in free agency, Texans are doing the same with CB Dunta Robinson. No tag."
Damn, I can't believe they're letting him walk.

He'd be a great pick up. I could see us going after him, Scot loves veteran DBs.
I would let him walk to after he wrote pay me on his shoes then proceeded to get burnt up. Young decent CB but his attitude, and salary demands seems to be above his play.
sign him
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I would let him walk to after he wrote pay me on his shoes then proceeded to get burnt up. Young decent CB but his attitude, and salary demands seems to be above his play.

This. No one in Houston is sad to see him go. Frankly, he's not the same player he was pre-injury; in skills or attitude. He went from solid player, character guy to diva in about 2 years. He'll get a good contract and underperform.
Originally posted by TX9R:

This. No one in Houston is sad to see him go. Frankly, he's not the same player he was pre-injury; in skills or attitude. He went from solid player, character guy to diva in about 2 years. He'll get a good contract and underperform.

doesnt it kinda remind you of the Asante Samuel situation?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Originally posted by TX9R:

doesnt it kinda remind you of the Asante Samuel situation?

Not quite. Samuel had no serious injury history and was considered a product of the system. Dunta was once considered the best player on defense, not product of system, then he got seriously injured. Both wanted to get paid, but I think for very different reasons. Samuel would never be hotter, coming off a great season. Dunta I think the injury showed him his career could end at any time and is looking for one big pay day. He turned down (foolishly) 23M guaranteed, then played a mediocre season, possibly just trying not to get hurt. I'm not convinced he would play any differently after getting paid.
I wonder if other teams will heed your warnings TX9R, cause I'm thinking that he's going to get paid very handsomely this upcoming FA.

I didn't know that he was coming off a huge injury scare, but I'm still intrigued about the possibility of us signing him.

-9fA
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I wonder if other teams will heed your warnings TX9R, cause I'm thinking that he's going to get paid very handsomely this upcoming FA.

I didn't know that he was coming off a huge injury scare, but I'm still intrigued about the possibility of us signing him.

-9fA

Our track for signing other teams CBs (and hell, players in general) is not good. Someone will over pay for him, I doubt it will be us though. Being from Houston I follow the Texans pretty well since all my friends are Texans fans. Dunta's just not the same player he was 3 years ago when he was on the cusp of being a top 3-5 CB.
Hey TX9R do you think Sing could have the same kind of influence on Robinson as he had on VD?

If we were to sign Robinson and if Sing could set this boy straight we would be set at CB for a while with Spencer, Robinson(assuming he plays like he did pre-injury) and Brown.

Now i dont know how much money this dude wants but if its not too crazy, I say we should at least entertain the idea

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Hey TX9R do you think Sing could have the same kind of influence on Robinson as he had on VD?

If we were to sign Robinson and if Sing could set this boy straight we would be set at CB for a while with Spencer, Robinson(assuming he plays like he did pre-injury) and Brown.

Now i dont know how much money this dude wants but if its not too crazy, I say we should at least entertain the idea

I don't think it's the same deal. VD, while he had some injuries, physically he was fine, he just needed an attitude adjustment. Dunta is not the same player he was pre-injury and I think his attitude is more that of fear than diva like VD was. He's already turned down 23M guaranteed which is quite a bit, and more than I would think/ hope we'd be willing to pay.
We got burned* last time we went after a big FA corner, hopefully that doesn't give Scotty too much pause, go after this guy.

*only when considering production vs. cost analysis. Clements has been a very solid corner for us no doubt, but for the amount of money we are paying him, you'd want him to create some more turnovers.
In comparison with the Clements signing, I still have no regrets about the money that we gave him.

You have to remember that we still weren't a contending team. If we wanted to attract any solid FA, we would have had to overpay him to come here. That, and it's not as if we were up against the cap ceiling.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:40:25 ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
In comparison with the Clements signing, I still have no regrets about the money that we gave him.

You have to remember that we were coming off what, a dismal 4-12 season? If we wanted to attract any solid FA, we would have had to overpay him to come here. That, and it's not as if we were up against the cap ceiling.

-9fA

I understand that sentiment, why i don't hate the clements signing (just wish he'd show the ballhawking skiils he showed at buffalo)
I think the only way we go after Dunta is if we cut Nate.
Share 49ersWebzone