LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

NFL REALIGNMENT (PROPOSAL)

Shop 49ers game tickets
reduce the chances of so-called lesser teams with weak records making it to the playoffs...tell that to the 2008 Arizona Cardinals.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

There will NEVER be less divisions than there are now, as it's bad business for teams to be out of the playoff race mid-way through the season.

Fewer teams per division = more teams fighting to the very end = higher fan interest = higher attendance = $$$$

/thread
Meh . . . no thanks. I'm sure there will be some minor movement from time to time, especially if Minny or Jax move to LA, but the current two conference, eight division alignment is money. No need to mess with it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Only thing I don't get is how St. Louis is w/ the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks.

They should be w/ the Lions, Bears, Packers, Vikings.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

What about the DALLAS cowboys with Wash, NYG, and Phil
Originally posted by jrg:

Well somebody has to be in the West Conferences. There are only 6 teams from the Rockies to the Pacific. The Rams and Chefs were the sacrificial goats.
hell no
No.
no its fine
Historic rivalries are huge money spinners. The NFL messes with its history at its own peril.

Originally posted by English:
Historic rivalries are huge money spinners. The NFL messes with its history at its own peril.

TBF, most of the historic rivalries and recent ones developed since the 2002 realignment are preserved in the OP's conjecture....geographically it would make for some close fun playing teams within two time zones for most of the season

would just suck not to be able to play say New York for years on end unless the Niners finish in the same conference placement

national fanbases would suffer

this isn't the NBA where a team can be dominated/powered by a superstar and you have the same dynastic teams year in and year out

the NFL is great as it is because of its parity in terms of talent and fairness of its current scheduling format...yes it sucks to have to travel if you have a better record to another team's stadium just because that team won their supposedly "weaker division" but theoretically your team had all season to also win its division and avoid such a seeming injustice....though this season the NFL is a culprit in that its referees were a determining factor in the 49ers being robbed of a division and Arizona a berth in the playoffs
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:07 AM ]
Eh...no

/thread
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Dec 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM ]
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

There will NEVER be less divisions than there are now, as it's bad business for teams to be out of the playoff race mid-way through the season.

Fewer teams per division = more teams fighting to the very end = higher fan interest = higher attendance = $$$$

/thread

This. People forget that the NFL is a business. I could see them going back to two divisions in each conference, but no way they do away with divisions entirely.

Too much money on the line.
[ Edited by baltien on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
Usually I'm all for changing stuff up and trying to make improvements wherever possible but I just don't see a huge problem with the current setup at least not a large enough problem that we need to completely revamp the system.
I think this realignment idea is garbage but has a chance of happening.
With Goodell as the comish(comizar?)it seems like the game is being ruined with no regard what the fans think or say since they will pay and watch anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone