LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 136 users in the forums

Players voted Favre NFL's "most overrated"

Shop 49ers game tickets
(Another Brett Favre Thread??? )

link

Quote:
After Brett Favre's performance Monday night, we're guessing at least a few players who voted him the NFL's most overrated player in a poll would like their ballots back.

The Sports Illustrated poll put the "most overrated" question to 239 players, before Week 2 of this season. Back then -- and before the nearly 40-year-old quarterback got Minnesota off to a 4-0 start -- the top four vote-getters were:

Favre 13%
Tony Romo 10%
Terrell Owens 8%
Eli Manning 7%
Everyone on ESPN is all butt hurt over it too.
f**king awesome.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He seems to own the 49ers. I don't think any 49er fan would call him overrated.
Originally posted by BobS:

I do.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
f**king awesome.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
f**king awesome.

since his superbowl/ holmgren days he sucks in the playoffs and made some random ass plays which resulted in interceptions.

He's overrated because people are "rating" favre based on his past success and seem to forget the recent things he has done.

like: "In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions."

He is a great qb, but I think he gets alot more credit than he deserves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535
Originally posted by ads_2006:

since his superbowl/ holmgren days he sucks in the playoffs and made some random ass plays which resulted in interceptions.

He's overrated because people are "rating" favre based on his past success and seem to forget the recent things he has done.

like: "In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions."

He is a great qb, but I think he gets alot more credit than he deserves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535

He makes $$$ for the NFL. That's primarily why bad calls have gone his way. Same with Brady. I saw a whole segment on 'Outside the Lines' dedicated to why Brady cries to the refs, a flag gets thrown. Same for Favre. Although Favre gets the calls without the crying. They showed a ton of other qbs get totally roughed, and guess what: NO FLAG.

Not only do teams have to battle the Vikes and Pats, they have to battle the refs as well.

OVERRATED BS
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

I do.

That's because you fail at football.

He's a love him or hate him kind of player, so naturally a lot of people are going to say that he's overrated. I'm in the hate him camp, but I'll give him his props, he can be a very, very good QB at times. He can also be the most stupid, impatient person to have ever played the game. All of which is underscored by him having the record for the most TD passes and the most interceptions. So he is kind of a “is the glass half full or half empty” kind of player.
Overrated? Maybe over-dramatic instead. We are all tired of his soap opera. In 16 years with Green Bay the team had only ONE losing season and went to the playoffs 11 out of 16 years, appeared in two Super Bowls and won one.

What a run. His only losing season was in 2005 when GB began to rebuild. In 2007 he was one throw from going to the Super Bowl for a third time. In 2008, he still threw 22 TDs while injured, albeit with 22 interceptions, and led the Jets to a winning 9-7 season.

In all his years, he sucked in 1993 but led GB back to the playoffs after an 11 year absence, in 1999 when GB went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, then in 2005 when GB went 4-12, the nadir of his career.

Compared to an up and coming QB he is overrated, but for an old NFL QB he is damn good and would be an upgrade as starter for half the league, including ours. (Just did a quick scan of the teams. )

We always compare him to the best QBs in the league, but for his age, he's a damn good mediocre QB with upside that will win some close games. And for half the teams needing a QB, that is all one can ask for.

And this mediocre QB has never thrown for less than 3200 yards and 18 TDs in a season, and I expect will do so again this year.
Originally posted by LivingInExile:
Overrated? Maybe over-dramatic instead. We are all tired of his soap opera. In 16 years with Green Bay the team had only ONE losing season and went to the playoffs 11 out of 16 years, appeared in two Super Bowls and won one.

What a run. His only losing season was in 2005 when GB began to rebuild. In 2007 he was one throw from going to the Super Bowl for a third time. In 2008, he still threw 22 TDs while injured, albeit with 22 interceptions, and led the Jets to a winning 9-7 season.

In all his years, he sucked in 1993 but led GB back to the playoffs after an 11 year absence, in 1999 when GB went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, then in 2005 when GB went 4-12, the nadir of his career.

Compared to an up and coming QB he is overrated, but for an old NFL QB he is damn good and would be an upgrade as starter for half the league, including ours. (Just did a quick scan of the teams. )

We always compare him to the best QBs in the league, but for his age, he's a damn good mediocre QB with upside that will win some close games. And for half the teams needing a QB, that is all one can ask for.

And this mediocre QB has never thrown for less than 3200 yards and 18 TDs in a season, and I expect will do so again this year.

they're talking about at this point in time. not over the course of their careers. and coming into this season favre was coming off of one of the worst stretches in his career in new york. so it is justified.

but if they re-did this poll now, i think romo would be voted #1.
The poll was taken before this year. So it's based on the prior season when Favre was hurt. He is healthy now and tearing up the NFL still at his age.

If the poll was taken today it would have different results. Favre is for real. He is a great player and one of the NFL's best all time QB's.

The hate on this WZ is mostly as a result of partisan leanings because he has owned the 49ers so often. But any unbiased opinion can see Favre has had an incredible career and is still great when healthy.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The poll was taken before this year. So it's based on the prior season when Favre was hurt. He is healthy now and tearing up the NFL still at his age.

If the poll was taken today it would have different results. Favre is for real. He is a great player and one of the NFL's best all time QB's.

The hate on this WZ is mostly as a result of partisan leanings because he has owned the 49ers so often. But any unbiased opinion can see Favre has had an incredible career and is still great when healthy.

Romo would be #1 now.
Share 49ersWebzone