There are 177 users in the forums

Justin Smiley had a great game tonight

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
I'm sorry, I just had to bump this up again tonight.

Smiley continues to play very well. Kris Jenkins beat him once early and after that, Smiley owned the middle all night long. He pulled well, consistently got to the second level, and he pass protection was flawless...and when Ronnie Brown scored the winning touchdown, it was Smiley that blew through 3 guys to get Brown into the end zone.

And the reason I am mentioning this is....?

The guy is a player and a class act.
Originally posted by dj43:

Smiley continues to play very well. Kris Jenkins beat him once early and after that, Smiley owned the middle all night long. He pulled well, consistently got to the second level, and he pass protection was flawless...and when Ronnie Brown scored the winning touchdown, it was Smiley that blew through 3 guys to get Brown into the end zone.

I wish we still had him.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I wish we still had him.
Imagine what the left side of the OL would be like with him replacing Baas. Staley and Heitmann would both be much better without worrying about having to block Baas' guy.

The play after Jenkins used Smiley's momentum to push him aside, Smiley came back to stand up that 380 pounder all by himself. The guy is just a beast. It seemed that half the game he was holding off one guy while chipping on someone else's guy. He looked All Pro tonight. I'm sure he will get a lot of Pro Bowl votes from all the other players that were watching tonight.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 12, 2009 at 22:34:22 ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Forget what I said earlier, I would consider giving my left nut to have Smiley and Harvey Dahl as our starting guards and DeSean instead of Rachal.

God I hope McCloughan has learned his lesson. There's reasons why teams like the Vikings, Jets, Dolphins, Cowpukes all went out and spent money to bring in guards and the reason why the New York Giants locked up their stud guard. And guess what, they all have great running games.

We need to do whatever we can to get Logan Mankins if he's available. He'll be a free agent next year and I don't think they can franchise both Mankins and Wilfork. They'll probably resign one and franchise the other.

Building through the draft only works if you can actually draft and develop O-linemen.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Forget what I said earlier, I would consider giving my left nut to have Smiley and Harvey Dahl as our starting guards and DeSean instead of Rachal.

God I hope McCloughan has learned his lesson. There's reasons why teams like the Vikings, Jets, Dolphins, Cowpukes all went out and spent money to bring in guards and the reason why the New York Giants locked up their stud guard. And guess what, they all have great running games.

We need to do whatever we can to get Logan Mankins if he's available. He'll be a free agent next year and I don't think they can franchise both Mankins and Wilfork. They'll probably resign one and franchise the other.

Building through the draft only works if you can actually draft and develop O-linemen.

and at a tailgate a zoner was talking about a mutual friend that said mankins wanted to leave the east coast and come to the west coast. play out 1 contract, about 4 years, and then retire.

Man I saw the last quarter of that game..what a fine game.

That designed roll out on one of the Dolphin's last 3rd and longs where the entire oline got up and rolled out with the backs to the right to avoid the blitz was genius.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners94:
We're fine at guard.

I didn't look at the date of this thread. This post is from week 1. Now it makes me laugh.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Man I saw the last quarter of that game..what a fine game.

That designed roll out on one of the Dolphin's last 3rd and longs where the entire oline got up and rolled out with the backs to the right to avoid the blitz was genius.
That was a joy to watch. That Miami line is agile and well coached - get good blocking angles. Kris Jenkins is one of the top 5 DTs in the game and they handled him pretty well last night. Both of the guards as well as the center seemed capable of handling that monster.

The way the Miami line played last night reminded me of the Bobb McKittrick lines. He was a fanatic for technique and had a special talent for communication with the players.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I was watching the Miami O and thought that this is the kind O Sing want us to become. They can run down hill and the Qb can make all the throws.

• dj43
Originally posted by pd24:
I was watching the Miami O and thought that this is the kind O Sing want us to become. They can run down hill and the Qb can make all the throws.
The Miami run game is much more sophisticated than the Sing/Raye vision. However, it all starts with an OL that MUST be agile and have good quickness. The current 49er OL is not capable of doing what Miami is doing. Baas has neither the agility or quickness to be a competent pulling guard. Rachal is still having trouble identifying the target. Staley is capable but cannot move the entire left side by himself. Snyder is a journeyman backup doing the best he can. Heitmann is playing the best of any of the line, and is good at adjusting blocking schemes but when his linemates cannot execute, it doesn't matter what he calls.

I know all this sounds negative but it is only to say that the "power running" game is the only option available right now. As Rachal improves with experience, he may be capable. Baas may still be limited by his ankle but I have never seen the agility from him that is required to be a guard who can pull and move into space like the Miami guards.

So it will be up to the power running/zone blocking schemes to carry the day until the cavalry arrives.
The Miami run game is much more sophisticated than the Sing/Raye vision. However, it all starts with an OL that MUST be agile and have good quickness. The current 49er OL is not capable of doing what Miami is doing. Baas has neither the agility or quickness to be a competent pulling guard. Rachal is still having trouble identifying the target. Staley is capable but cannot move the entire left side by himself. Snyder is a journeyman backup doing the best he can. Heitmann is playing the best of any of the line, and is good at adjusting blocking schemes but when his linemates cannot execute, it doesn't matter what he calls.

I know all this sounds negative but it is only to say that the "power running" game is the only option available right now. As Rachal improves with experience, he may be capable. Baas may still be limited by his ankle but I have never seen the agility from him that is required to be a guard who can pull and move into space like the Miami guards.

So it will be up to the power running/zone blocking schemes to carry the day until the cavalry arrives.

I gotta agree. Smiley and Heitmann are the only ones worth a ****. I think the Niners should get quicker lineman instead of the bulldozers. Gore is one of the most elusive backs in the league. Could you imagine him in a zone blocking offense like what Kubiak runs?

If Kubiak is fired from Houston this year, I would hope that Singletary doesnt hold back at letting Jimmy Raye go. Yeah it would be another OC change, but honestly, this offense isnt performing as it is so by season's end we may be calling for another change. Kubiak would at least bring back a version of the WCO. We have players that could play the WCO, we just would need to upgrade speed on the OL.
Ironic how we're having Guard problems and Dahl and Smiley have great games!!!!

That last TD by Brown was bc of Smiley. Dang and we cant even punch it in at the goal-line. Irritating as hell!!!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:27:14 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by niners94:
We're fine at guard.

I didn't look at the date of this thread. This post is from week 1. Now it makes me laugh.
Yep.
There are actually some times when I wish I wasn't right about something. In this case, I wish Baas had turned the corner and become an adequate replacement for Smiley. I would rather have been proven wrong in this case than right...but...no.

Staley-Smiley-Heitmann would make a great combo.

Baas on the otherhand...in college he was able to out muscle everybody but thats not the case in the NFL. It seems like if he has to move laterally at all, he gets beat. Maybe he isn't recovered, but if he doesn't show something after the bye they need to move Snyder to LG.

Chilo I think will eventually be a good starter, he came into the league raw and still has a lot to learn. But the talent is there.

We still need a LG and RT, hopefully we get 1 in the draft and 1 in FA.
Share 49ersWebzone