There are 156 users in the forums

Flash 80...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Jerry didn't sign a lifetime contract with the 49ers.

He doesn't owe you, Mike Singletary, or any current 49er anything.

I don't see Bulls fans crying like babies because Jordan is a partial owner of another team. Get over yourself. We casted Rice aside at the 1st sign of him breaking down. Even with the crappiest receiving core in the league (Lloyd, Battle) we still didn't make a play for Rice and instead signed Johnie Morton as the veteran presence.

Don't give me this he owes us cr*p. Our franchise obviously didn't think they owed Rice anything at the end of his career.

This is a business decision. When the best receiver in the game calls you and asks for help you gladly put that on your resume.

And this is why we have been under .500 for the last 6 or so years.

There is no expectation of our greats.

Instead of our greats going to other places to mentor other players, I thnk that we SHOULD expect them to at least offer their services.

I have A LOT of respect for them. But at least Ronnie and Plummer are DIE HARD 9ers. They contribute in their own way and that's what I expect from long time players that want to have a life in te NFL after their playing days come to an end.

Will I hate Rice for this? Hell no. The man put some mileage on the field for us and he did it for the most part in a very classy way. But come on man he should be with us not the freakin Cardinals. Even if it is with a guy that wants to take his game to the next level.

I understand that it's the offseason but you needn't reply in an antagonistic fashion, like I am some fresh off tha boat noob who has never even seen a 9er game.

All you had to say is that you don't see it the same way I do. Notice there are others who feel the same way I do. Some do not. That's why America is the greatest. Because we have the right to espouse our opinions regardless of what others say.

Rice will ALWAYS be GOAT, but I think that he could at least have made the offer given that he DOES live in Cali not Arizona.

Peace.

~Ceadder

P.S. Note that Plummer did not start out as a 9er. So why shouldn't we expect similar of the rest of our greats. I feel the way you do where Montana is concerned but he isn't going out and mentoring QBs' in the league.
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jul 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM ]
IMO I don't think Rice has had too much influence in molding Fitzgerald into the receiver that he is today.

-9fA
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I don't see Bulls fans crying like babies because Jordan is a partial owner of another team. Get over yourself. We casted Rice aside at the 1st sign of him breaking down. Even with the crappiest receiving core in the league (Lloyd, Battle) we still didn't make a play for Rice and instead signed Johnie Morton as the veteran presence.

Don't give me this he owes us cr*p. Our franchise obviously didn't think they owed Rice anything at the end of his career.

This is a business decision. When the best receiver in the game calls you and asks for help you gladly put that on your resume.

Instead of our greats going to other places to mentor other players, I thnk that we SHOULD expect them to at least offer their services.

I have A LOT of respect for them. But at least Ronnie and Plummer are DIE HARD 9ers. They contribute in their own way and that's what I expect from long time players that want to have a life in te NFL after their playing days come to an end.

Will I hate Rice for this? Hell no. The man put some mileage on the field for us and he did it for the most part in a very classy way. But come on man he should be with us not the freakin Cardinals. Even if it is with a guy that wants to take his game to the next level.

I understand that it's the offseason but you needn't reply in an antagonistic fashion, like I am some fresh off tha boat noob who has never even seen a 9er game.

All you had to say is that you don't see it the same way I do. Notice there are others who feel the same way I do. Some do not. That's why America is the greatest. Because we have the right to espouse our opinions regardless of what others say.

Rice will ALWAYS be GOAT, but I think that he could at least have made the offer given that he DOES live in Cali not Arizona.

Peace.

~Ceadder

P.S. Note that Plummer did not start out as a 9er. So why shouldn't we expect similar of the rest of our greats. I feel the way you do where Montana is concerned but he isn't going out and mentoring QBs' in the league.

Do you go out of your way to help all your previous employers train new employees? Even the ones that ran you off?

Peace.

~Ceadder

I meant this post to be directed at anyone who thinks that Rice owes them and the 49ers complete obedience. It wasn't supposed to be a direct attack on you. I just get fed up with the people who attack our legends everytime they say something negative about the current personnel and everytime they perform a service for a different team. Jerry paid his dues to us on the field as a 49er, his obligations to us ended there.

We've been under .500 the past 6 seasons because we haven't had a semi talented team for years. It has nothing to do with our former players. You can't make chicken salad with chicken sh*t. Rice isn't going to turn Bryan Gilmore or Brandon Lloyd into a star receiver. Joe Montana isn't going to turn Alex Smith into a star QB.

I tend to think it's up to the 49ers to utilize our legends. Crabtree should be calling Rice asking for help not the opposite way around. Rice shouldn't have to beg the 49ers for a role within the organization especially when he has suitors out there.

Finally when the organization treats their legends with respect throughout their career they tend to get that same respect from the player. We didn't treat Rice or Montana like a lifetime 49er did we? You can't have it both ways. You can't cut him and then say you're still a 49er forever act like it. That's like divorcing your wife after 15 years and still expecting her to treat you the same way she did when you married to her.

BTW Should Bears fans be p*ssed off at Singletary? After all he didn't offer his services to coach them.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Peace.

~Ceadder

Do you go out of your way to help all your previous employers train new employees? Even the ones that ran you off?

Well if I made a lot of money and had a fanbase that worshipped the ground I walk on?

Geez no offense but your argument is really f'n lame.

Do you see Packers greats mentoring other players around the league?

Cowboys?

How bout Steelers?

Mmmmmm Rams? NO Ike does not count as he is still a player.

Or even teams in their own division?

Hell no you don't.

So why is it an issue, if I am not enthused with Rice mentoring a WR on a division rival?

I get it that he can do as he pleases but come on man it's the classy thing to do, to throw his hat in the ring with the team that drafted him and that he played for 17 years with?

It's my my opinion okay? I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

~Ceadder

Peace.

~Ceadder

Well if I made a lot of money and had a fanbase that worshipped the ground I walk on?

Cowboys?

How bout Steelers?

Hell no you don't.

So why is it an issue, if I am not enthused with Rice mentoring a WR on a division rival?

I get it that he can do as he pleases but come on man it's the classy thing to do, to throw his hat in the ring with the team that drafted him and that he played for 17 years with?

~Ceadder

I see a Bear legend mentoring our team right now.
By the by, tjd, you an I both know the story behind the Montana to KC move had absolutely nothing to do with how we "treat our" stars. Or even the organization.

Montana asked to seek a trade he got the go ahead(due to misplacing foot to the media and then trying to backtrack out of it) and went to KC.

It's crazy that Montana has held a grudge this long with Steve. Bill brought Steve in. And wasn't it Policy that stated that Steve was our Starter going forward? Stupid move on Carmen's part but he couldn't worm his way out of it by making the statement that Joe was still the Starter.

We still retired Joe's number. If that ain't raspeck I don't know what is.

Jerry FINALLY got his day also. But Nolan didn't want a 1 day contract to impact our cap space. Not that we would have been strapped by the move but I think it had more to do with Rice being at a point where he felt that he should be a Starter(I agree that he SHOULD have been) and as such wold command more reps than the young guys who we wanted to get the bulk of the reps.

I do agree that it's not kewl to go after our greats if they are doing nothing wrong. But Jerry is a 9er and not a Card. He's not Rod Tisdale either."The Kwan ya knooooooow?"

~Ceadder

Peace.

~Ceadder

Cowboys?

How bout Steelers?

Hell no you don't.

~Ceadder

Oh geez it's his YOB mang. Spurrier coached the Skins. Rathman coached with the Raitards and Lions. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with that because they got paid to coach. Jerry may be getting paid but he is not an assistant, a HC or a position coach.

I would have absolutely no problem with it if he became a coach. Then if we were interested in him he could say yes or no. But he's not. If he is entertaining the idea then I would like to see him at least apply for a position here. This organization may not have handled the end well, but they didn't do him dirty for 17 seasons.

So imho the organization should get a pass on that.

~Ceadder

Peace.

~Ceadder

Cowboys?

How bout Steelers?

Hell no you don't.

~Ceadder

Don't question his class because he wants to help someone that has a lot of potential. There are tons of greats that help other teams when they're done!

My argument is lame? My argument that he owes you and the Niners absolutely nothing, and that he has the freedom to do whatever he wants is lame? Was it classy by the Niners to let him go? Is there anyone in the organization that he has any ties/loyalty to? It's not as if Montana is coaching, or Eddie owns the team.

You can't expect everyone to be a superfan like you are, especially the players. Especially players that were run out.

Peace.

~Ceadder

Cowboys?

How bout Steelers?

Hell no you don't.

~Ceadder

Oh geez it's his YOB mang. Spurrier coached the Skins. Rathman coached with the Raitards and Lions. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with that because they got paid to coach. Jerry may be getting paid but he is not an assistant, a HC or a position coach.

I would have absolutely no problem with it if he became a coach. Then if we were interested in him he could say yes or no. But he's not. If he is entertaining the idea then I would like to see him at least apply for a position here. This organization may not have handled the end well, but they didn't do him dirty for 17 seasons.

So imho the organization should get a pass on that.

~Ceadder

So as a coach he has free range to go anywhere he wants but as a consultant his services are limited to us? Do you not see the hypocrisy there?

Personally I think you should be mad at Crabtree and Singletary for not seeking the advice of the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. I know this might be surprise for you to hear, but even ex players have egos too and they don't beg for a role within the organization when their help is being sought.

As to the 17 year end argument. A divorce is divorce. Being fired is being fired. You can't pretend that the relationship didn't end prematurely, and expect the other side to be completely loyal to you still. That's now how life works.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM ]

By the by, tjd, you an I both know the story behind the Montana to KC move had absolutely nothing to do with how we "treat our" stars. Or even the organization.

Montana asked to seek a trade he got the go ahead(due to misplacing foot to the media and then trying to backtrack out of it) and went to KC.

It's crazy that Montana has held a grudge this long with Steve. Bill brought Steve in. And wasn't it Policy that stated that Steve was our Starter going forward? Stupid move on Carmen's part but he couldn't worm his way out of it by making the statement that Joe was still the Starter.

We still retired Joe's number. If that ain't raspeck I don't know what is.

Jerry FINALLY got his day also. But Nolan didn't want a 1 day contract to impact our cap space. Not that we would have been strapped by the move but I think it had more to do with Rice being at a point where he felt that he should be a Starter(I agree that he SHOULD have been) and as such wold command more reps than the young guys who we wanted to get the bulk of the reps.

I do agree that it's not kewl to go after our greats if they are doing nothing wrong. But Jerry is a 9er and not a Card. He's not Rod Tisdale either."The Kwan ya knooooooow?"

~Ceadder

You know our record with our star players responsible for our decade of dominance. Alot of them finished their careers elsewhere.

As to signing Rice that final year. We had Arnaz Battle, Brandon Lloyd and brought Johnie Morton to compete with those guys and at worse be the third receiver. If we had young talent you might have a point. That was the perfect oppurtunity to mend fences with Rice and our organization didn't even extend an arm to him.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
I might run into him in the next day or so... should i say something? lol
He also tutors Desean Jackson in Philly, and another receiver.
he's a legend, they seek him, he doesnt run to them to beg them to take his advice. should he tutor the niners? he's not obligated to, i bet he would if they asked him. and im pretty sure Fitz's natural ability wouldve made him a great receiver with or without rice's help, u guys are acting like Rice made Fitz great. Nolans punk ass wouldnt even bring him back for one day, he was all about keeping in touch with the niners roots and he shunned one of arguably the 4 most important players in the history of the team (montana, young, rice, lott). i would be pissed if i was jerry, but he's not pissed, he hasnt been offered a consultant or coaching job so he doesnt belong to the team. if others seek him out, he is willing to help, nothing wrong with that. maybe our players should seek him out to better themselves, they dont. not jerry's fault
Share 49ersWebzone