There are 134 users in the forums

Ideal pick vs backup options

Haven't really gotten to the point of starter vs backup plan. Just prospects I like and that should be available when we're picking…

offensive tackle
Wanya Morris
Warren McCendon
Tyler Steen
*Blake Freeland (don't think he's there)

EDGE
Villami Fehoko
Isaiah McGuire
YaYa Diaby
Jose Ramirez
*Bryon Young (don't think he makes it to us).

SAF
Jammie Robinson
Jartavius Martin
Jay Ward
Ji'Ayir Brown

DBs
Garrett Williams
THT
Mekhi Blackmon
Cory Trice Jr

IOL
Chandler Zavala
Nick Saldveri
juice Scruggs
both OGs from UCLA

haven't watched DTs. Honestly don't think we go there much with our signings and who's currently on the roster.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 31, 2023 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Early thoughts...

CB
Ideal: Daruis Rush. Love the speed, height, arm length. Uses it well to pinch WRs between himself and the boundary. Former WR, tracks the ball well and has good hands. Loads of special teams experience. Was great at the Senior Bowl. Was surprised by his quickness and shiftiness. The traits are there to be a CB2. Great zone corner prospect.

Backup: Garrett Williams. Really didn't want to have a player coming off injury on this list, but Garrett is an early second round talent in my opinion. I'm not sure he slides past 100, but if he does, I can't pass on him. Such good zone instincts, great in run support, great ball skills. Easily a starting caliber outside corner. Honorable mention to Keidron Smith and Luter.

DT
Ideal: Zacch Pickens. Love his versatility and 3 down ability. Has great physical tools and great hands. A lot of quick wins on tape where he creates havoc in the pocket. Quick to shed off blocks in the run game and has the length and hand strength to bring down runners even when he is well blocked. Honorable mention to Keeanu Benton who might actually be a better fit for us as more of a run stuffer.

Backup: Nesta Jade Silvera. Former top 50 overall recruit. Just love his low center of gravity and how quickly he gets into blockers and pushes them back. Every rep at the senior bowl he is moving people backwards. Going to be a good run stopping tackle to rotate in on first and second down right away. Karl Brooks is another backup option.

S
Ideal: As much as I prefer a free safety for this team, Wilks plays more nickel than anyone. That position will be vital. I hope the team feels Oliver/Hartsfield/Womack is enough so we can address other needs. Otherwise, Jartavius Martin would be a nice fit. One of the better tackling DBs and plays with physicality. Works well in zones closer to the line of scrimmage but showed man capabilities on tight ends and slot WRs and has 4.4 speed to get downfield.

Backup: Jay Ward. Free safety type to backup Gipson. Great special teams player. Long arms, pretty good speed for the safety position. Really rangy on the back end. Former corner and has some nickel versatility. Great effort in run support. Has been a playmaker and leader for LSU.

WR
Ideal: Grant Dubose. Something about this guy. Plays every rep lights out. Make you earn every tackle on him. Fantastic blocker. Uses his body so well to shield defenders and gets open on short routes in a hurry. I think hes going to be a QBs best friend with his size and catch radius. I could see him taking over the Jennings role in due time with upside for starting X WR.

Backup: Mingo and Michael Wilson. Love both of them. We'd have no shot at Wilson without the injury history. But he was so freaking good at the senior bowl. A little bit of faith here that Gray earns a bigger role as the speed guy.

DE/Edge
Ideal: Bryon Young. I'd love to get some legit speed into this front. I like the Ferrel and Bryant signings, but still missing that Ebukham role. Byron looks like a safety coming in on stunts. Has quick speed and flexibility to change directions. Bendy ankles and hes got a strong motor. Should have some instant value as a designated pass rusher. Have seen comparisons to Arden Key, although he doesn't have that length. I've also seen some mocks with Derick Hall going in the 80s. In that case you go get him. Or Diaby/DJ-J later.

Backup: Dylan Horton and Tavius Robinson. Similar builds and classic 4-3 ends. Both are solid rotational ends in wide 9 scheme, with starter/3 down potential down the line. Great height, weight, speed. Both are high motor players. Honorable mention to Thomas Incoom.

IOL
Ideal: Asim Richards. Played tackle at UNC and led some great rushing attacks, but I think his better position is at guard where he looked very natural at the senior bowl. Fantastic run blocker with a mean streak on the field. Enjoys throwing people around. Just looks really solid on tape. Handles stunts and the blitz well. Moves to the second level with ease. Really solid, versatile lineman.

Backup: Emil Ekiyor. Good guard prospect (all SEC at RG), even better center prospect in my opinion. Not specifically targeting a center after the Feliciano signing, but Emil could be a fall candidate because of his lack of size and not afraid to go BPA. Good character guy. Father played DE in the NFL for a brief stint. Legs are like tree trunks.

OT
Ideal: Besides Bergeron in a trade up, Tyler Steen is my target. Really athletic player. Quick hands and quick feet. Has the athleticism to play LT. Showed well against SEC talent. Not a mauler in the run game, but does his job, seals his man well and his footspeed to get to the next level. Smart guy. Looked really solid in 1 on 1s at the senior bowl. His best reps are as good as anybody's, just need coaching to get the best out of him.

Backup: Braeden Daniels. Love his versatility. Had more starts at guard in college and looked very good. Moves well in space and has the athleticism for a swing tackle. Concerned about the weight and lack of play strength, but that will improve in an NFL weight room and the 4 position versatility is too good to pass. Honorable mention to Wanya Morris who would be a nice fit at RT and might be more ready for it on day 1.

Early thoughts...

CB
Ideal: Daruis Rush. Love the speed, height, arm length. Uses it well to pinch WRs between himself and the boundary. Former WR, tracks the ball well and has good hands. Loads of special teams experience. Was great at the Senior Bowl. Was surprised by his quickness and shiftiness. The traits are there to be a CB2. Great zone corner prospect.

Backup: Garrett Williams. Really didn't want to have a player coming off injury on this list, but Garrett is an early second round talent in my opinion. I'm not sure he slides past 100, but if he does, I can't pass on him. Such good zone instincts, great in run support, great ball skills. Easily a starting caliber outside corner. Honorable mention to Keidron Smith and Luter.

DT
Ideal: Zacch Pickens. Love his versatility and 3 down ability. Has great physical tools and great hands. A lot of quick wins on tape where he creates havoc in the pocket. Quick to shed off blocks in the run game and has the length and hand strength to bring down runners even when he is well blocked. Honorable mention to Keeanu Benton who might actually be a better fit for us as more of a run stuffer.

Backup: Nesta Jade Silvera. Former top 50 overall recruit. Just love his low center of gravity and how quickly he gets into blockers and pushes them back. Every rep at the senior bowl he is moving people backwards. Going to be a good run stopping tackle to rotate in on first and second down right away. Karl Brooks is another backup option.

S
Ideal: As much as I prefer a free safety for this team, Wilks plays more nickel than anyone. That position will be vital. I hope the team feels Oliver/Hartsfield/Womack is enough so we can address other needs. Otherwise, Jartavius Martin would be a nice fit. One of the better tackling DBs and plays with physicality. Works well in zones closer to the line of scrimmage but showed man capabilities on tight ends and slot WRs and has 4.4 speed to get downfield.

Backup: Jay Ward. Free safety type to backup Gipson. Great special teams player. Long arms, pretty good speed for the safety position. Really rangy on the back end. Former corner and has some nickel versatility. Great effort in run support. Has been a playmaker and leader for LSU.

WR
Ideal: Grant Dubose. Something about this guy. Plays every rep lights out. Make you earn every tackle on him. Fantastic blocker. Uses his body so well to shield defenders and gets open on short routes in a hurry. I think hes going to be a QBs best friend with his size and catch radius. I could see him taking over the Jennings role in due time with upside for starting X WR.

Backup: Mingo and Michael Wilson. Love both of them. We'd have no shot at Wilson without the injury history. But he was so freaking good at the senior bowl. A little bit of faith here that Gray earns a bigger role as the speed guy.

DE/Edge
Ideal: Bryon Young. I'd love to get some legit speed into this front. I like the Ferrel and Bryant signings, but still missing that Ebukham role. Byron looks like a safety coming in on stunts. Has quick speed and flexibility to change directions. Bendy ankles and hes got a strong motor. Should have some instant value as a designated pass rusher. Have seen comparisons to Arden Key, although he doesn't have that length. I've also seen some mocks with Derick Hall going in the 80s. In that case you go get him. Or Diaby/DJ-J later.

Backup: Dylan Horton and Tavius Robinson. Similar builds and classic 4-3 ends. Both are solid rotational ends in wide 9 scheme, with starter/3 down potential down the line. Great height, weight, speed. Both are high motor players. Honorable mention to Thomas Incoom.

IOL
Ideal: Asim Richards. Played tackle at UNC and led some great rushing attacks, but I think his better position is at guard where he looked very natural at the senior bowl. Fantastic run blocker with a mean streak on the field. Enjoys throwing people around. Just looks really solid on tape. Handles stunts and the blitz well. Moves to the second level with ease. Really solid, versatile lineman.

Backup: Emil Ekiyor. Good guard prospect (all SEC at RG), even better center prospect in my opinion. Not specifically targeting a center after the Feliciano signing, but Emil could be a fall candidate because of his lack of size and not afraid to go BPA. Good character guy. Father played DE in the NFL for a brief stint. Legs are like tree trunks.

OT
Ideal: Besides Bergeron in a trade up, Tyler Steen is my target. Really athletic player. Quick hands and quick feet. Has the athleticism to play LT. Showed well against SEC talent. Not a mauler in the run game, but does his job, seals his man well and his footspeed to get to the next level. Smart guy. Looked really solid in 1 on 1s at the senior bowl. His best reps are as good as anybody's, just need coaching to get the best out of him.

Backup: Braeden Daniels. Love his versatility. Had more starts at guard in college and looked very good. Moves well in space and has the athleticism for a swing tackle. Concerned about the weight and lack of play strength, but that will improve in an NFL weight room and the 4 position versatility is too good to pass. Honorable mention to Wanya Morris who would be a nice fit at RT and might be more ready for it on day 1.

Kick ass list. Nice work, scooter.
Early thoughts...

CB

DT

S

WR

DE/Edge

IOL

OT

This is the first place I remember seeing someone highlight Grant Dubose.

I really like this kid, especially his blocking. Critical in the Shanahan offense.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I love this thread topic.

Ideal: anyone but NC
Backup: NC

LOL. My man!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Haven't really gotten to the point of starter vs backup plan. Just prospects I like and that should be available when we're picking…

offensive tackle
Wanya Morris - Yes
Warren McCendon - Yes
Tyler Steen - Yes
*Blake Freeland (don't think he's there) - Yes

EDGE
Villami Fehoko - Yes
Isaiah McGuire - Yes
YaYa Diaby - Yes
Jose Ramirez - No
*Bryon Young (don't think he makes it to us). - Yes

SAF
Jammie Robinson - Yes
Jartavius Martin - No
Jay Ward - Yes
Ji'Ayir Brown - Yes

DBs
Garrett Williams - No
THT - Yes
Mekhi Blackmon - Yes
Cory Trice Jr - No

IOL
Chandler Zavala - No
Nick Saldveri - Yes
juice Scruggs - Yes
both OGs from UCLA - Yes

haven't watched DTs. Honestly don't think we go there much with our signings and who's currently on the roster.

Another good list. FO agrees...been connected to the mass majority of these guys already.
Early thoughts...

CB

Your 4th guy here. Not bad...
Share 49ersWebzone