LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Bryce Young-QB-Alabama

Discussion thread for the likely #1 pick this year.

He reminds me of Brock Purdy a bit in these vids. He scans the field and delivers strikes, nimble and quick in the pocket. He's also looks like he has the mental aptitude for the position that Purdy does. A little leaner than Brock at this point, maybe a touch stronger arm.
Originally posted by domingo:
He reminds me of Brock Purdy a bit in these vids. He scans the field and delivers strikes, nimble and quick in the pocket. He's also looks like he has the mental aptitude for the position that Purdy does. A little leaner than Brock at this point, maybe a touch stronger arm.

And just a tad higher draft pick!
too smol
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
He reminds me of DOUG FLUTIE...
I haven't done any deep dive but I like his ability to get it downfield while on the move.. Stroud I wasn't sure of either but he looked pretty good vs UGA.. Young kinda Hurts-esqe without the bulk / physicality.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I haven't done any deep dive but I like his ability to get it downfield while on the move.. Stroud I wasn't sure of either but he looked pretty good vs UGA.. Young kinda Hurts-esqe without the bulk / physicality.

I don't want to take anything away from Hurts - he is a franchise QB no question - but young is a much more gifted "natural passer" and Hurts' bulk and physicality is a large part of why he is so successful.

Size comparisons aside, I do think he has a similar skill set to Kyler Murray, but with a better feel for the position and a better head on his shoulders, which is a scary proposition for niner fans if Seattle has a shot to draft him. In that case, we'd have to hope that the fact no one as small as him has really never succeded continues.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I don't want to take anything away from Hurts - he is a franchise QB no question - but young is a much more gifted "natural passer" and Hurts' bulk and physicality is a large part of why he is so successful.

Size comparisons aside, I do think he has a similar skill set to Kyler Murray, but with a better feel for the position and a better head on his shoulders, which is a scary proposition for niner fans if Seattle has a shot to draft him. In that case, we'd have to hope that the fact no one as small as him has really never succeded continues.
Seattle has no shot at him unless they move up to #1. Houston is going to draft Young if Chicago doesnt trade out of the top spot. As for the comparison to Murray.... I think they are much different. Murray needs to win with his legs because he simply isnt a great passer. Young, on the other hand, is an excellent passer who will beat you thru the air. I think the only real similarity is that they are both undersized QBS that won the Heisman
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
too smol

The same exact height as Brees and Purdy, taller than Wilson.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
too smol

I'm joking

No, he is not the next Eddie LeBaron.
So... are the Bears keeping Fields or drafting this kid?

he's still tiny by NFL QB standards.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Jan 13, 2023 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:

he's still tiny by NFL QB standards.

NFL is too hung up on size.

This is why we get so many busts at the position.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He's got the mental IQ, intangibles, and skill set to be a functional starter in the NFL. But to me...his game doesn't scream all-pro game in the NFL. Can he be a functional starter ala Cousins? Yes, I see that happening. But I'm a skeptic if he can be a tier 1 QB in this league.

I'm a huge skeptic of the QB class in general though. Thank god for Purdy lol.
Share 49ersWebzone