LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

2023 Draft needs by priority

2023 Draft needs by priority

chickens are getting a QB with 5.
Originally posted by 4thandlong:

No, they're getting Will Anderson at EDGE or Jalen Carter at DT with the second pick.
Load up on the OL, you always need corners and safeties, a useful QB, Shanahan knows running backs, pick one.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Load up on the OL, you always need corners and safeties, a useful QB, Shanahan knows running backs, pick one.

I definitely think we need to get some quality guys that can start in the future on the roster, due to replacing guys or age. Plus we need reliable backups.
Develop the Line in the early rounds and find the skill players in the later rounds.
Current priority is probably
  1. Free Safety. Jimmie Ward is a free agent and probably too expensive. Nick Bosa will break the bank and decisions need to be made on 5th year options for Javon Kinlaw (No) and Brandon Aiyuk (Yes). Tashaun Gibson is probably a resign and Tarvarius Moore departs. So I think a 3rd round pick will be a Safety.
  2. Defensive Tackle. Injuries decimated the interior line in 2022, plus lots of free agents. Givens is restricted so he will return. Hurst, Ridgeway, and McGill are UFA. Kinlaw is constantly injured and Kalia Davis is an unknown. The other 3rd round pick should be a DT.
Past that the big question is whether they resign McGlinchey. Colton McKivitz is also restricted like Givens, so he will be back. It all depends on how they feel about McKivitz, Jaylon Moore and Nick Jakelj. I see Brendel and Brunskill as resigns. Then there are a lot of free agents at DE, so most will be brought back. Also they might want to move off of Verrett and Moseley and roll with younger players.
My guess as of today is an all-defense draft:
3rd - Safety
3rd - DT
5th - DE
7th - CB
7th - Safety
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
  1. Free Safety. Jimmie Ward is a free agent and probably too expensive. Nick Bosa will break the bank and decisions need to be made on 5th year options for Javon Kinlaw (No) and Brandon Aiyuk (Yes). Tashaun Gibson is probably a resign and Tarvarius Moore departs. So I think a 3rd round pick will be a Safety.
  2. Defensive Tackle. Injuries decimated the interior line in 2022, plus lots of free agents. Givens is restricted so he will return. Hurst, Ridgeway, and McGill are UFA. Kinlaw is constantly injured and Kalia Davis is an unknown. The other 3rd round pick should be a DT.
Past that the big question is whether they resign McGlinchey. Colton McKivitz is also restricted like Givens, so he will be back. It all depends on how they feel about McKivitz, Jaylon Moore and Nick Jakelj. I see Brendel and Brunskill as resigns. Then there are a lot of free agents at DE, so most will be brought back. Also they might want to move off of Verrett and Moseley and roll with younger players.
3rd - Safety
3rd - DT
5th - DE
7th - CB
7th - Safety
Eman is only 26. I think they resign him barring how he is coming back from injury. I think they draft Center, if they can upgrade at that position.
[ Edited by Alfienator on Dec 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Eman is only 26. I think they resign him barring how he is coming back from injury. I think they draft Center, if they can upgrade at that position.

One other question they need to answer is, "What is Jason Poe?" I was thinking he becomes a super athletic Center.
Frank Gore Jr. needs to be our top priority.
Originally posted by NTeply49:

Auntie chill!

• da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NTeply49:

Auntie chill!

hahah
Originally posted by 4thandlong:

Not sure there's a QB worth drafting Top 5 beyond Bryce Young and he's going #1. Seattle would be well-served to go for a stud prospect on the DL.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Develop the Line in the early rounds and find the skill players in the later rounds.

I think their first pick is in the late 3rd so that's not an issue.

For whatever they do have, I think its pretty obvious that DT, OT and CB are all still needs.
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
3rd - Safety
3rd - DT
5th - DE
7th - CB
7th - Safety

I don't think we are in a position to draft for needs. I think we will go BPA and than back fill via free agency. I think our draft picks will be used to find D-line and TE prospects. Maybe even a few WR's. Just looking at what we've been doing in the draft.
Won't really get a full picture of draft needs until after free agency and see who we've signed.
Share 49ersWebzone