There are 176 users in the forums

Khalil Shakir, WR, Boise State

I've been going thru the WRs for this draft, and I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this guy because he has 49ers written all over him. Versatile, competitive, tough, physical, turns into RB with the ball in his hands, and most important to the 49ers: high-character player. I did some research, and everyone from coaches and teammates to scouts rave about his character. That's something that's extremely important to Shanahan and Lynch. One thing I really like about Shakir is that a lot of his work is done over the middle. He's fearless and isn't afraid of contact, which is what the 49ers will need if Deebo leaves.

Overview

A coach's dream, combining competitive nature, exciting versatility and elite character on and off the field. For a short-armed player with average explosiveness, Shakir puts an emphatic stamp on games. He's more football player than prototypical slot receiver and needs to prove he can handle an increase in contested catches. He can be activated from a variety of alignments with the vision, wiggle and toughness to move the chains once the ball is in his hands. He finds a way to frequently show up on the notepad when watching tape and his will to outperform the guy across from him should not be overlooked. Shakir should become a valuable piece for a creative play-caller.

Strengths
High-character player. Voracious competitive spirit and vastly versatile. Receiver used on direct snaps, as a running back, on jets sweeps and in return game. Motor rarely gives opponents a chance to catch their breath. Laser-focused once the ball is snapped.No down gear into the teeth of the defense as route-runner. Low center of gravity for sudden route cuts/breaks. Creates throwing windows with leverage, footwork and strength. Concentration to make wild circus catches. Relishes contact and can play through it. Absolute menace with the ball in his hands. Patient runner with vision and a foot hovering over the gas pedal.

Weaknesses
Very short arms and lacks explosiveness as a leaper. Making a big step up in coverage competition. Won't run away from defenders. Might be quicker than fast. Better polish and speed variance needed to disguise intentions. Inconsistent working back to the throw.Lacks desired physical traits some teams demand.

Sources Tell Us

"Better person than player and he is a hell of a player. You have to make your focus all the things he does well because he's going to keep doing them as a pro." -- Personnel director for AFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/khalil-shakir/32005348-4110-7427-f34a-bb0aa1d8e556

Greg Cosell raving about Khalil Shakir at 10:40

?t=641

Great interview with Middlekauff and Haberman. Deebo comes up. I'm confident the 49ers love this dude.

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 24, 2022 at 11:16 PM ]

His 4.43 40 was a nice suprise. You are right Hero, if there was one WR that I'd bet money the 49ers being high on for all the aforementioned reasons, it's him. I would love to have him on our team after your son's off-season theatrics he putting us through
Khalil Shakir=Robert Woods

Looks like a good prospect. He's projected 3rd or 4th right?
Tell me he wears #2 and goes by Pac with the last name Shakir.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Apr 25, 2022 at 4:58 PM ]
He has great hands which we need with Trey and his heat.
I would have taken Shakir over Gray. Wonder how long Shakir lasts and if the 9ers would draft two WRs…
He'll be a raven at pick 110, him or Justyn Ross
Originally posted by jersey49er:
He'll be a raven at pick 110, him or Justyn Ross

RIP his career.

Imagine drafting trash ass Danny Gray over Khalil Shakir. This was so easy to see when evaluating that class. I think I spent 1 hour going thru the WRs that year. Was that another Adam Peters pick?!

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 8, 2024 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Imagine drafting trash ass Danny Gray over Khalil Shakir. This was so easy to see when evaluating that class. I think I spent 1 hour going thru the WRs that year. Was that another Adam Peters pick?!

Pretty sure that was a Kyle pick and an attempt to transform the offense and make it more Trey Lance friendly.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Pretty sure that was a Kyle pick and an attempt to transform the offense and make it more Trey Lance friendly.

Kyle Shanahan got to be the worst college scout lmao
Share 49ersWebzone