LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Are we going to take ONLY one QB?

It occurred to me today that last time Kyle was involved with a high QB pick they also took another QB in the 4th. It also occurred that a year from now we don't expect to have any of the current QBs on the roster.

Do you think we could take 2 QBs in this draft and who would you want if so?

Fields and Mills for me.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
It occurred to me today that last time Kyle was involved with a high QB pick they also took another QB in the 4th. It also occurred that a year from now we don't expect to have any of the current QBs on the roster.

Fields and Mills for me.

I don't think we'll take 2 unless a Mills, Monday, Trask is there in say the 5th. Which I doubt any will. With Rosen I feel he could very well be the vet version of a day 3 lottery ticket
Originally posted by krizay:

Fields and Mills for me.

I don't think we'll take 2 unless a Mills, Monday, Trask is there in say the 5th. Which I doubt any will. With Rosen I feel he could very well be the vet version of a day 3 lottery ticket

That strategy worked real well for Washington though when RG3 went down. I could see them wanting to recreate it. Good insurance policy.
Mills is a likely 2nd rounder, not a chance they go QB back to back, especially with no first round picks for the next two years. They really have to make these count.

I think if they take another quarterback, it will look a lot more like Peyton Ramsey out of Northwestern with a late pick. After #3, they still have to address CB, OL and a few other positions.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
That strategy worked real well for Washington though when RG3 went down. I could see them wanting to recreate it. Good insurance policy.

I understand your philosophy. Not saying it's a bad one. Just saying Rosen may be the vet version of what you are looking for in that 2nd QB
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mills is a likely 2nd rounder, not a chance they go QB back to back, especially with no first round picks for the next two years. They really have to make these count.

I think if they take another quarterback, it will look a lot more like Peyton Ramsey out of Northwestern with a late pick. After #3, they still have to address CB, OL and a few other positions.

I don't think he's gonna go in the 2nd. He might, but I'm talking about a late 3rd or later selection for another QB, whoever that might be. Hell, it would be Sam Ehlinger or somebody else.
Originally posted by krizay:

I understand your philosophy. Not saying it's a bad one. Just saying Rosen may be the vet version of what you are looking for in that 2nd QB

I'm not endorsing it, I'm just saying that I think it's more possible than anyone. realizes because Kyle has had success with that situation before and we are going to need another QB or two in the next year.

I agree that Rosen is the wild card here.
I don't think he's gonna go in the 2nd. He might, but I'm talking about a late 3rd or later selection for another QB, whoever that might be. Hell, it would be Sam Ehlinger or somebody else.

Trask, Mond and Mills are the next in line after the first five QB's and I'm guessing they'll move pretty quickly to the teams that weren't able to secure QB's. Between the 49ers 2nd rounder and their pick in the late 3rd, I expect all of them to be gone.

At that point it just becomes an absolute crapshoot, not sure who Shanahan might show interest in. Maybe Book or Franks, much more likely Ramsey since the 49ers have already been in contact with him but in that case you're talking about him as a 7th rounder.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145334-49ers-among-teams-interested-northwestern-peyton-ramsey-report/
The way I remember the story is that RGIII got pushed on the Shanahans by the owner. They didn't want him. So it would not be the exact same scenario. I have wondered about the second quarterback, too. But now they have Rosen, Sudfield and Jimmy. If they draft a quarterback and don't trade Jimmy then they have four quarterbacks for camp. No, five, Josh Johnson is signed also.
Jimmy G is still on the roster until he's not. So IMO No.

Originally posted by Lurker:
The way I remember the story is that RGIII got pushed on the Shanahans by the owner. They didn't want him. So it would not be the exact same scenario. I have wondered about the second quarterback, too. But now they have Rosen, Sudfield and Jimmy. If they draft a quarterback and don't trade Jimmy then they have four quarterbacks for camp. No, five, Josh Johnson is signed also.

That might have been the case back then, but my point is that it worked out really well for them and they might think about going back to the well.
I dont see the Niners drafting another QB after round 1 unless its a 6th or 7th rd shot in the dark prospect. I believe Mond, Trask, and Mills will all go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and it would be a shocker to me if the Niners took a QB in either of those rounds. I think the Niners will go with Jimmy, their 1st rounder, and either Rosen or Sudfeld.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Trask, Mond and Mills are the next in line after the first five QB's and I'm guessing they'll move pretty quickly to the teams that weren't able to secure QB's. Between the 49ers 2nd rounder and their pick in the late 3rd, I expect all of them to be gone.

At that point it just becomes an absolute crapshoot, not sure who Shanahan might show interest in. Maybe Book or Franks, much more likely Ramsey since the 49ers have already been in contact with him but in that case you're talking about him as a 7th rounder.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/145334-49ers-among-teams-interested-northwestern-peyton-ramsey-report/

I agree with that group. But, I think with a big rush on QBs early, teams that miss out might look at the next group and decide that since they missed the early rush they will just wait until later on to get a project. We've seen that before, I think 5 QBs went in the first in 2018 and there was only 1 other QB taken before round 4.

Maybe the rush keeps going and 8 QBs go in 3 rounds, but I'm inclined to think it doesn't go like that.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
#1 Jimmy
#2 Rookie
#3 Rosen
#4 Sudfeld

That should be enough.

Fields and Mills for me.

Uh yeah dude. Last time they only took two because the moron owner wanted him.
Share 49ersWebzone