• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Since07:
Shannon Sharpe asked about Mac Jones: "Who was Joe Montana"

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
77% completion percentage for a season against an all SEC schedule. Accuracy and arm strength are not his issues.

Kyle Trask put up similar numbers against an all SEC schedule as well. The SEC isn't known for defense anymore.

Trask completed 68% of his passes...he also lost 3 games against those SEC teams.

Was Trask surrounded by the same talent as Jones? Lol.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by hubbyt:
77% completion percentage for a season against an all SEC schedule. Accuracy and arm strength are not his issues.

Kyle Trask put up similar numbers against an all SEC schedule as well. The SEC isn't known for defense anymore.

Trask completed 68% of his passes...he also lost 3 games against those SEC teams.

Was Trask surrounded by the same talent as Jones? Lol.

Kyle Pitts anyone??
  • DC9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chance:
Or he's trying to alter public perception of the QBs and give Jones homers cover for the universally panned pick of Mac. Kind of using his platform for softening the outrage for his boy Kyle.

Either way, he cannot be trusted as a QB evaluator at this point. Might as well put him in the payroll at 4949 to head the media dept.

How's that strategy been working so far?
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He's not wrong.

Is Grant Cohn evil. It sounds like he is itching for the 49ers to fail.

I don't go to far into his movement.

His broad and vert tell us he has a relatively strong base, If you look at other players his size with that vert and broad his 40 looks odd. Like he got tired on the run.

I really don't think it matters

I have watched damn near every snap avaliable on YouTube.... he could be a 4.3 guy...the instinct to run really isn't there. I don't think his athletics limit him, I think his mentality does.

Jones will take a hit to complete a pass. That has value if he can stay in alive from the hits.

We all worried about Steve learning to save his head from concussions... that was his adjustment. Mac can't take NFL hits like he did in the SEC last year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by HawkBearPig:

"There's nothing not to like. Do you like Drew Brees? Do you like Matt Ryan, those kinds of quarterbacks? That's what Mac Jones is, and he's better than them coming out."

I mean, it's Chris Simms, so take it for what you will, but the man is nothing if not confident in his opinion.

He's also really good at evaluating QBs

Stat wise, yes, Mac Jones is better than Brees and Ryan coming outta college. Simms has a point there.

cant take Simms seriously when he mocks Fields at 32. he's either in on the Santa Clara smokescreen or he's a moron.

Mocks are one thing, evaluating is another. After all Harbaugh had Tony Romo as a 2nd round pick and he went undrafted.

Guys like Simms and Cossell rate QBs in a vacuum. QBs with NFL type of route experience, play action, and/or footwork immediately get bumped up. They don't look at whether or not a NFL coach will actually coach them up or how good the players are around that QB.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
Originally posted by HawkBearPig:

"There's nothing not to like. Do you like Drew Brees? Do you like Matt Ryan, those kinds of quarterbacks? That's what Mac Jones is, and he's better than them coming out."

I mean, it's Chris Simms, so take it for what you will, but the man is nothing if not confident in his opinion.

He's also really good at evaluating QBs

Stat wise, yes, Mac Jones is better than Brees and Ryan coming outta college. Simms has a point there.

How dare anyone talk highly of Mac.

You can only do that to Lawrence, Wilson, Fields or Lance.

Simms' take is what gets me excited about Jones. It's not just Simms who has discussed Jones' traits as elite. Lots of "analysts" have come around on Jones. The way Jones executes the offense, his accuracy, his ability to move through reads, his in pocket mobility, and his ability to get the ball out all seem to be elite. Burrows was a similar prospect to Jones, who also played on a great team with great offensive talent around him. Burrows looked pretty darn good before his injury last year on a much crappier team.

I was so skeptical of Jones back when we were at 12. I was concerned about Bama's qb history, the talent around Jones, his lack of playing experience, his dad bod, and the risk of him already hitting his ceiling. But then you watch some of the things this guy does, and not his highlight reel, his actual play breakdown, and think, my goodness this dude is really talented. I want a qb who throws from the pocket first - uses the pocket to make plays (such as moving up in the pocket) - and only escapes the pocket when actually necessary. Jones marks off the first two boxes, with some ability on the last box. I don't want Jones because he is "safe," I want Jones because he does the foundational qb requirements at an elite level. Now, If Shanny thinks Lance can do those things too, and has the athleticism, then amazing. But Jones certainly appears to be able, and I will be happy with the pick if it's Jones.

As a final note, don't forget, Josh Allen was on his way to being a bust until he learned to be accurate, and has not played well in the playoffs at times. All of his athleticism did not make him a good quarterback until he developed the fundamental ability to throw accurately (something Jones can already do). Neither Lamar Jackson nor Kyler Murray have yet to prove themselves as real pocket passers. Watson is one of if not the most sacked qbs in football, in large part because he leaves the pocket too early and holds the ball too long. He also has won squat. If Jimmy won four games with Watson's numbers people here would be calling for Jimmy's head. My point of all this is pocket qb first - athletic escapability and ability to extend plays second.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

What does this prove? I'll say Jones is better than Trask but I don't understand why your bringing up wins and loses.

OP said the SEC isn't known for defenses anymore....I don't agree.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
LOL. He's not wrong.

It is a family trait. The Cohns traffic in sewing seeds of discontent and stoking controversy to capture an audience. He learned well from his father, Lowell, who pulled the same crap for years at the Chronicle, even when the Niners were at the peak of their dynasty. Understand that angle going in, apply a healthy grain of salt, and try not to take the click bait every time. It is your only defense to resist the Dark Side, young Jedi.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Apr 28, 2021 at 9:59 AM ]

• evil
  • Veteran
LOL. He's not wrong.

Has he ever not?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

What does this prove? I'll say Jones is better than Trask but I don't understand why your bringing up wins and loses.

OP said the SEC isn't known for defenses anymore....I don't agree.

SEC is still the power house conference obviously but college QBs W/L record is not a useful statistic at all when evaluating a QB. With examples like Jameis Winston, Tim Tebow, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

He absolutely is. Easy content.
LOL. He's not wrong.

It would be great business for him. The amount of click bait he could generate would be crazy. Not to mention he would actually tick up in popularity cause a lot of fans would join him in hating the 49ers front office.
the critique on lance is that he's really in accurate 10+ yards downfield

Actually it's 20+ yards downfield and that criticism I believe comes almost exclusively from this one chart:

I have a few problems of putting so much stock in this kind of evaluation though:
1) Sample size gets VERY low when talking about a single season + 4 games from the previous year (or in Lance's case, all of his games). Break it down into evaluating each area of the field and I feel like the odds of finding "scary looking outliers" goes way up. So, for the 20+ area of the field, we're talking about 52 throws for Lance vs. 54 for Fields. That's it. We have 106 total throws between two prospects to make a judgement on their accuracy. If the evaluator is even just a tiny bit more generous to one or the other, the numbers (% wise) change quickly. Yes, Fields had 57% accuracy versus Lance at 44%, but that means about 4 or 5 more "accurate" passes, by the judgement of this one guy. Mac Jones has 60 throws which qualify and was at 58% accuracy, FYI. Add in the fact that Trey's only 2020 game he missed virtually all practice leading up to it (he was quarantined for 10 days bc his roomie tested positive) and I wonder if you exclude that one (and just look at 2019) what do his 20+ accuracy numbers look like?
2) Charting like this is subjective by nature. Trusting one source who is providing the information for free seems a bit questionable to me. The source becomes quite important and any bias he might have (liking one QB or disliking another) could really sway numbers in favor of one guy or the other. This becomes even more true when we pick one area of the field to look at.
3) Even the guy who did this charting has Jones as the 5th best QB. (his rankings are Tlaw, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones).
Share 49ersWebzone