LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Kyle Trask-QB-Florida

I wouldn't mind Trask but not in the 1st or 2nd.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
I wouldn't mind Trask but not in the 1st or 2nd.

He's clearly worked himself into that range, anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd round. If you're a team like New England or the 49ers then he's a QB with the obvious processing ability to handle everything those offenses throw at you and has repeatedly shown his ability to perform against a high level of competition.

He's going to have a heck of a test coming up against Georgia in about 3 weeks, it'll be interesting to see how he does. Considering how trash the Florida defense is, Trask is going to have to play big and put up huge numbers throughout the rest of the season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's clearly worked himself into that range, anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd round. If you're a team like New England or the 49ers then he's a QB with the obvious processing ability to handle everything those offenses throw at you and has repeatedly shown his ability to perform against a high level of competition.

He's going to have a heck of a test coming up against Georgia in about 3 weeks, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Georgia game is going to be HUGE for him. Florida looks legit obviously with Trask manningt he QB role. If he plays really well and Florida wins, I can see him getting selected over Lance.
Georgia game is going to be HUGE for him. Florida looks legit obviously with Trask manningt he QB role. If he plays really well and Florida wins, I can see him getting selected over Lance.

I still have Lance over him due to the ridiculous ceiling that you get but if Trask continues on and does show well against Georgia, he's going to have a lot of teams excited about him. Doesn't have freakish arm strength or outstanding athletic traits but a big bodied QB that can stand in the pocket, read a defense, get rid of the ball quickly and make consistently accurate throws still plays well with NFL GMs and coaches.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The difference is that Trask has barely been playing since 9th grade and in terms of his mental acuity and leadership is already well beyond what anyone might reasonably expect from him considering his inexperience. He came off the bench and started killing it in the SEC right off the bat. No reason to think that he can't polish up the rest with more time.

Also I'm looking it from a perspective of not what would necessarily be my preference but what Shanahan looks for, the things he prioritizes in a QB, especially the mental part, pro style experience and decisiveness and Trask checks all the boxes.

The interesting thing here (for me at least) is when you look at our backup QBs, are you confident in Kye sticking to his format described above?

Or would you rather him be forced out of his comfort zone to give these other kids fairer grades before choosing 1?

Mizzou is probably the best D trask has faced yet. He's had an easy opponent to pass against so far

Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky are the 3 best pass Ds in SEC
Originally posted by random49er:
The interesting thing here (for me at least) is when you look at our backup QBs, are you confident in Kye sticking to his format described above?

Or would you rather him be forced out of his comfort zone to give these other kids fairer grades before choosing 1?

I think he has a good idea of what he needs for his offense. That doesnt mean you'll hit on each guy but he clearly has a type in terms of experience and skill set.
If he can light it up against Georgia, the hype train is gonna be nuts.

Pretty knee jerk reaction after seeing some mashups that show all of the passing snaps he had in a few games this year, but I just don't see it with Kyle Trask. To me he's more of a lesser Alex Smith than anything else. Below avg arm strength, weird release, runs backwards alot, throws into double coverage too much, weirdly inaccurate on some short passes, and benefits from alot of wide open looks with designed YAC. Not sure I've seen a single WOW throw from him but seems to be a typical game manager type that can run a complex offense. Feel like he's more likely to end up worse than Jimmy G than he is to end up better than Jimmy G and his ceiling is no higher than good Jimmy G with his floor being bad Alex Smith / Connor Cook. IMO if we're taking the gamble of moving on from Jimmy it will be for a guy that brings mobility / arm strength / deep ball upside that we don't get with Jimmy.
  • Jiks
Meh...his name screams bust.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Pretty knee jerk reaction after seeing some mashups that show all of the passing snaps he had in a few games this year, but I just don't see it with Kyle Trask. To me he's more of a lesser Alex Smith than anything else. Below avg arm strength, weird release, runs backwards alot, throws into double coverage too much, weirdly inaccurate on some short passes, and benefits from alot of wide open looks with designed YAC. Not sure I've seen a single WOW throw from him but seems to be a typical game manager type that can run a complex offense. Feel like he's more likely to end up worse than Jimmy G than he is to end up better than Jimmy G and his ceiling is no higher than good Jimmy G with his floor being bad Alex Smith / Connor Cook. IMO if we're taking the gamble of moving on from Jimmy it will be for a guy that brings mobility / arm strength / deep ball upside that we don't get with Jimmy.
That's who I see as well as far as a comparison
Not a fan of trask personally. His arm seems pretty weak and has no zip. Might be just me. Of course arm isn't everything but I'd take mac jones over him.
More like Kyle Trash

[ Edited by pdizo916 on Nov 4, 2020 at 6:50 AM ]
I found this Trask analysis and ironic NFL comparison:

...he is able to get the ball out at speeds rivaling that of quick-release champions such as Jimmy Garoppolo. Although he does all of this, the last of those pros is the one that draws the most concerns.

Garoppolo has been known to have the issue of not bringing his back-foot through on release adding velocity...
Bleacher report Mock had the niners taking Trask with the 15th overall pick.
Share 49ersWebzone