LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 265 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Just more self-motivation I would guess. The 'pass on me and you'll pay' mentality. I don't see how Shanahan told him he's the pick, when nobody else had any idea what the choice was gonna be - except for Lynch.

No chance he was told he's the pick if we told no one else. Just butt hurt if the report is even true.

Yeah there is zero chance they told him anything. If Lance didnt even know, Fields didnt know anything either. The FO cant assume a prospect is gonna keep their mouth shut and not let the word out.
No chance he was told he's the pick if we told no one else. Just butt hurt if the report is even true.

I agree....he did look pissed when he was selected, and I guess I can't fault him for that. Then again, we're going off of some random tweet that wasn't from him anyways, so I'll just wait till it comes from Fields himself before passing any real judgement.

I agree....he did look pissed when he was selected, and I guess I can't fault him for that. Then again, we're going off of some random tweet that wasn't from him anyways, so I'll just wait till it comes from Fields himself before passing any real judgement.

Sounds out of context. Probably was pissed but just cause he assumed.

He definitely had one of the more subdued celebrations after getting drafted. Can't wait to hear what he was thinking at that moment and when the Niners took Lance at #3.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

He definitely had one of the more subdued celebrations after getting drafted. Can't wait to hear what he was thinking at that moment and when the Niners took Lance at #3.

The guy thought he was going to a super bowl contender and instead went were QBs die. I don't blame him.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I'm sure he was bummed. Everyone understood that was the best spot for any of the QBs to go into within the top 10.

I loved Fields for us and thought he was the guys but I always said we can't tell the football IQ stuff. Clearly Kyle went with the guy he believed in. The fact that Carolina and Denver both passed on Fields for a corner as well. I mean as good as Horn and Surtain are...if you think Fields is a franchise QB then it's a no brainer, especially for Denver.

Hopefully Chicago doesn't ruin Fields but that tweet was based off stuff she saw on facebook for crying out loud. Fields never said anything like that but he was obviously and understandably upset he wasn't the pick with us.
Originally posted by OneNDone:
Lol we drafted the RB who literally carried this scrub to the Championship game then they got crushed when he got injured.

But Fields didn't have any talent.... I was nice to the guy just in case we drafted him but he's a poor man's Dwayne Haskins.

RB wasn't that good in college but I agree I think we dodged a bullet.

Are you saying Sermon wasn't very good in college?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I felt that, too. Something else I've noticed about Justin is that he has a different personality than other quarterbacks. To put it simply, he's not an ass kisser and he's short with words.

Its something to be admired, but it can work against him in the interview process.

there is video of him early in his college career during mop up mins, that he was somewhat passive aggressive. I never brought it up pre-draft because i did want to nitpick someone's draft crush, but to me it was telling. Someone said something to him like..."good win" and he responded back like "yeah i got to hand the ball off".

To me it came off as cancerous. Not a guy who will go in and happily do his job and enjoy a team win, he wanted his "me" time.

You could sunny side up that and say he is competitive and wants to perform, but we all know there will be long periods that the our QBs will in fact be handing the ball off and not out winning the game on their own. You are not always the star.

It could just be a seriously dry sense of humor, It is a nitpick as a single sound bite, but it might not BE a single sound bite to those in the know.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I felt that, too. Something else I've noticed about Justin is that he has a different personality than other quarterbacks. To put it simply, he's not an ass kisser and he's short with words.

Its something to be admired, but it can work against him in the interview process.

there is video of him early in his college career during mop up mins, that he was somewhat passive aggressive. I never brought it up pre-draft because i did want to nitpick someone's draft crush, but to me it was telling. Someone said something to him like..."good win" and he responded back like "yeah i got to hand the ball off".

To me it came off as cancerous. Not a guy who will go in and happily do his job and enjoy a team win, he wanted his "me" time.

You could sunny side up that and say he is competitive and wants to perform, but we all know there will be long periods that the our QBs will in fact be handing the ball off and not out winning the game on their own. You are not always the star.

It could just be a seriously dry sense of humor, It is a nitpick as a single sound bite, but it might not BE a single sound bite to those in the know.

Yeah, that was from when he was at Georgia.

• jimrat
  • Veteran
I really hope Lance works out, man I had a huge man crush on this guy Fields 😬
Originally posted by Jcool:

then how did he fall out of the top 10?
^^ Saw her interview a couple days ago and it seems really odd. The GMs she claims to have talked to must've been teams out of the QB market that didn't invest in scouting them closely. Any team searching for a QB and had Fields as the QB1 would've been aggressive in getting him. He wouldn't have gotten to/past Denver and Carolina if other GMs really thought he was the top QB. Someone would've leapt up and got him.

She can flash those sexy eyes all she wants, but I'm not buying this crap.
Originally posted by strickac:
^^ Saw her interview a couple days ago and it seems really odd. The GMs she claims to have talked to must've been teams out of the QB market that didn't invest in scouting them closely. Any team searching for a QB and had Fields as the QB1 would've been aggressive in getting him. He wouldn't have gotten to/past Denver and Carolina if other GMs really thought he was the top QB. Someone would've leapt up and got him.

She can flash those sexy eyes all she wants, but I'm not buying this crap.

That's the thing...it doesn't add up.

my love for Fields is well documented. He was the guy I wanted for us. However I feel like there is a difference between scouts and coaches.

Scouts evaluate tools and Fields had those in spades. 5 star recruit, one of the best ever. He showed nothing to second guess that.

However it seems he dropped due to scheme/coaching issues. The so called slow processing that must've bothered teams. I always said if the coaches felt Lance was the smarter football player then he should be the pick. The way the draft went down appears that was the case.

I'm sorry but when they said Carolina was between Fields or Horn...who takes a CB over a QB??? Denver goes Surtain over Fields? With Lock and Bridgewater??

There must've been something behind the scenes that pushed Fields down. And if he's your QB1 and 3 QBs are already off the board it's a no brainer.

So to me scouts care more about tools which Fields was right up there with Lance with a better track record. Coaches however look at the full picture. They want tools and grasp of the scheme and other things that don't show up as athletic ability.
Teams typically evaluate the prospect before putting any astericks for red flags such as injuries, off field, etc. Teams, including the niners, may well have had him QB1, 2 or 3, but removed him from the draft board because of epilepsy or something else
Share 49ersWebzone