There are 161 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Looks like we in for a long season, not sure how it's going to play out with Garroppolo but if we are picking high we have to take a look at Fields. This guy was rated the top QB coming out of highs school with Trevor Lawrence.
41 TD's 3 ints

From Draft Network

PROS (+): Fields showcases that same natural arm that so many of the recent top quarterback prospects have illustrated as of late. He's got a prep background in baseball (as a shortstop) which is easy to see when you ask him to throw on the move. He's an effortless thrower, he'll generate ample torque on the ball and can zip throws into tight coverage without much incident even if he's on untraditional platforms. His delivery is sudden and he's capable of snapping the throw out quickly to beat pressure. Fields has all the physical tools you'd expect of a potential franchise quarterback — whether that's his arm or his ability to extend within or outside the pocket. OSU implemented a lot of zone read and RPO concepts for Fields, offensive staples that have risen to prominence at the pro level as teams adapt a more wide open, faster style of play. Fields will benefit from these trends and has a good track record of keying defenders in these reps despite having just one season as a starter in Columbus (and a handful of nearly useless packaged reps in 2018 at Georgia). Showed impressive toughness against Michigan after a scary knee injury and returns without incident — including an impressive touchdown strike on the same possession. Accounting for 51 touchdowns in 2019, Fields is still just scratching the surface of what he can develop into; already offering needed physical skills, a strong mastery of RPO/read concepts and bright flashes of ball placement and accuracy in both quick timing concepts and over the middle of the field.

[ Edited by jimrat on Oct 11, 2020 at 7:29 PM ]
I guess it is that time of year again. Scouting quarterbacks in October
Hard to scout based on that Youtube video.. all his receivers seemed to be wide open with closest defender being 5-10 yards away.
Very good demeanor for a quarterback. What impressed me most was how much he improved in damn near every game. Goes through his progressions, throws a catchable ball. He's athletic and it shows, but he's not really a scrambler... he's a quarterback who happens to be an athlete. Thick lower body, when things break down in the pocket, he's calm and escapes arm tackles easily.

In the game against Clemson, JK Dobbins dropped two touchdown passes, or else they probably move on and play LSU.

Really excited to see what he does this year.
I haven't watched much college this year and I hate to evaluate a prospect off of a highlight video. That said, I watched 2 minutes into the video, and there was one throw from the pocket. That's already a red flag if your evaluating QBs for Kyle.
Granted I didn't expect us to get absolutely worked by the Dolphins...but I still don't think we're bad enough to have a chance at Lawrence or Fields.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Granted I didn't expect us to get absolutely worked by the Dolphins...but I still don't think we're bad enough to have a chance at Lawrence or Fields.

It's still too early but the way we are playing I see us winning only one game the rest of the way (Washington)
No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

I think there are better options than Fields. Who knows but History says pass
Originally posted by wailers15:
No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

Like Lamar Jackson?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
This guy is a pass first run second type of quarterback.

As I said before, he's not a freak athlete... he's also clearly a pass first quarterback. You should consider watching a game before resorting to stereotyping.

Urban Meyer has only had one actual NFL quarterback prospect at Ohio State and that was Dwayne Haskins, who has a live arm but sloppy footwork. The jury is still out on him.
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Like Lamar Jackson?

Lamar threw from the pocket.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
A taller Russell Wilson would be a good comparison.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
I haven't watched much college this year and I hate to evaluate a prospect off of a highlight video. That said, I watched 2 minutes into the video, and there was one throw from the pocket. That's already a red flag if your evaluating QBs for Kyle.

Kind of surprised, you didn't watch any Ohio State games last year?
[ Edited by jimrat on Oct 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by BMoore56:

Like Lamar Jackson?

He's Nothing like Lamar. And so far still looks like Lamar can't throw a nice deep. Can use your legs for so long.
Share 49ersWebzone