LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

From Ruggs To Riches: Kinlaw and Aiyuk

Everyone saying they should have stayed at 31. I don't agree. Aiyuk said after he was drafted his agent expected him to go 20s first round. He wouldn't have been there at 31. Not saying anything about the pick, just saying if that's who the niners coveted, then they made the right move.
At first when the picks came in I was scratching my head trying to figure out what Lynch and Shanny where thinking. But after watching multiple pieces of highlights on these guys and reading a little more about them I understand a little better why they picked the way they did.
With Kinlaw the guy sure he's not Buckner but he fills the hole better than Solomon would have and with Kocurek coaching him you never know maybe in a few years he could be in the conversation. With Aiyuk the guy has so much range especially with that wingspan of 81" which if I heard correct was 1" shorter than Calvin Johnsons wingspan and also the guy has 9 and 3/4 inch hands so pretty much 10 inch hands and the guy can fly with a 4.45 40 yd dash. The guy can flat out catch the football and that is what we need.
I don't see the Samuel comparison. Samuel has a lot of "wiggle", Aiyuk is more of a smooth strider who plays faster than his time speed due to great acceleration. The way he runs is more like Issac Bruce or Jerry Rice.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they trade down right after Ruggs gets picked by the Raiders. That's why Tampa Bay got cold feet thinking we'd take an OT cuz everyone expected us to target Ruggs.
Shanahan saying Aiyuk and Lamb were his 2 favorite WRs, Lunch saying Aiyuk and Kinlaw were both among his "6 foundational" players in the entire first round--I mean, I'm sure they love these two players, but that's definitely a bit of PR.
[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Apr 24, 2020 at 8:14 AM ]
Let's not forget that Lamb, Ruggs and Jeudy are all fairly slender dudes. I think Kyle prefers a stockier frame ala Deebo ie a guy that can make the quick catch, find the seam and navigate thru arm tackles to get upfield. Don't get me wrong, the Big 3 will probably turn out to be great receivers, but Aiyuk fits Kyle's offense a bit better. I don't think Brandon is afraid to catch the ball over the middle and he's going to be amazing on the end arounds.

So stoked for this pick!!!!!!!
Originally posted by pete98146:
Let's not forget that Lamb, Ruggs and Jeudy are all fairly slender dudes. I think Kyle prefers a stockier frame ala Deebo ie a guy that can make the quick catch, find the seam and navigate thru arm tackles to get upfield. Don't get me wrong, the Big 3 will probably turn out to be great receivers, but Aiyuk fits Kyle's offense a bit better. I don't think Brandon is afraid to catch the ball over the middle and he's going to be amazing on the end arounds.

The rich get richer!! Great job Shana- Lynch.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I didn't like Ruggs that much. I thought he was Alabama's third best receiver and was rarely pressed in coverage. He's fast, sure, but Aiyuk is a better football player. And I would have said this before the draft.

Sure since no one had aiyuk as WR4, I can see why you say that.
Originally posted by pete98146:

You're saying aiyuk is stocky. What?
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Everyone saying they should have stayed at 31. I don't agree. Aiyuk said after he was drafted his agent expected him to go 20s first round. He wouldn't have been there at 31. Not saying anything about the pick, just saying if that's who the niners coveted, then they made the right move.

A lot of players that got drafted in the 2nd probably expected to go in the 1st.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bloodless:
I could be wrong but I don't think Ruggs was going to be the pick there over Kinlaw even if he was there. I think they ultimately liked the value more of taking A WR with there second pick then with there first pick.

Even before we took him. When I watched Aiyuk Highlight reel i thought to myself he looked like a Receiver that Kyle would Covet. We clearly did as we moved up to get him. I think The Niners got two players they were really high on. Time will tell if they are right. I Personally like Aiyuk a lot. While there are some similarities to deebo. I think Aiyuk is faster and a better route runner. While Deebo is the more Physical of the two. Kinlaw I think has some Boom or Bust potential. Hopefully we got the Boom. I do think we have a good Dl coach and players to teach him some pass rush moves to add to his bull rush.

You're probably right now that we know Lynch had Kinlaw as one of those six foundational players. I don't think Ruggs was one of the six.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wailers15:
Was not sold on the Bama wr's at all. I disagree I don't think Ruggs or Jeudy were ever on their board. I was shocked they traded up for the ASU wr as I felt he would've been there at 31.

If that were true, when Ruggs was asked what three teams have contacted him the most he said, Denver, Las Vegas and San Francisco. 49ers also met with Henry Ruggs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Bloodless:
I could be wrong but I don't think Ruggs was going to be the pick there over Kinlaw even if he was there. I think they ultimately liked the value more of taking A WR with there second pick then with there first pick.

Even before we took him. When I watched Aiyuk Highlight reel i thought to myself he looked like a Receiver that Kyle would Covet. We clearly did as we moved up to get him. I think The Niners got two players they were really high on. Time will tell if they are right. I Personally like Aiyuk a lot. While there are some similarities to deebo. I think Aiyuk is faster and a better route runner. While Deebo is the more Physical of the two. Kinlaw I think has some Boom or Bust potential. Hopefully we got the Boom. I do think we have a good Dl coach and players to teach him some pass rush moves to add to his bull rush.

I think if we had drafted Kinlaw without Bosa and Armstead, he would've felt more pressure to be the man like Armstead and Solomon Thomas before Bosa and Ford came over. Kinlaw would've played well but have little effect on the game because there were problems everywhere. Coming to one of the top defensive lines in the NFL, he'll get expert coaching and won't be double-teamed. He'll be put in a much better situation to succeed.
To me. Kinlaw's acceleration and explosion almost looks like a DE in that respect. I think his agility will really compliment Bosa specially when they do the tackle-end stunts. These two will wreak pass protections in 2020. I'm hoping they will hi-low midget and make him think of retiring.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
I don't see the Samuel comparison. Samuel has a lot of "wiggle", Aiyuk is more of a smooth strider who plays faster than his time speed due to great acceleration. The way he runs is more like Issac Bruce or Jerry Rice.

It would be so cool if he turned out to be Jerry 2.0 or even Terrell 2.0 without all the headaches.
Share 49ersWebzone