LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

How to stack Draft Picks for 2020?

Any idea welcome that shines a light in the dark draft-tunnel we have to head into.
Id love to have more picks, what do you realistically think could bring us more?

My wildest ides is tagging Arik and trading him for a low first/high second.
Originally posted by 49ersFan_vienna:
Any idea welcome that shines a light in the dark draft-tunnel we have to head into.
Id love to have more picks, what do you realistically think could bring us more?

My wildest ides is tagging Arik and trading him for a low first/high second.

I would imagine from the guys we have on the roster right now and make sense to trade you're probably looking at tagging Armstead and moving him like you said(would have to be at least a first IMO unless the cap situation is a real problem and we don't think a long term deal is ever gonna happen)

Pettis is probably the other name. If he's in the doghouse and we don't see a future for him then try to move him. Probably won't get much for him so it may not be worth it. Doubt we'd get anything higher than a 4th rounder and his upside is better than that.
Originally posted by genus49:
I would imagine from the guys we have on the roster right now and make sense to trade you're probably looking at tagging Armstead and moving him like you said(would have to be at least a first IMO unless the cap situation is a real problem and we don't think a long term deal is ever gonna happen)

Pettis is probably the other name. If he's in the doghouse and we don't see a future for him then try to move him. Probably won't get much for him so it may not be worth it. Doubt we'd get anything higher than a 4th rounder and his upside is better than that.

id be thrilled if we get anything in return for Pettis altough i am really lacking knowledge what the market is for players who clearly have no future on our team and the other team knows...

Id see some more players like
.) Mullens or Beathard
.) McKinnon or Coleman
.) Solly Thomas
.) Goodwin
.) Spoon

Dont know, as mentioned before, if there is any market for them. If we could get anything for the likes of Goodwin or Spoon id be thrilled.

What do you think are trade up partners for our #31 pick? Think it has to be a QB teams are trading back into the first round for?
Thinking Tampa?
[ Edited by 49ersFan_vienna on Feb 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM ]
Two words - TRADE DOWN!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Two words - TRADE DOWN!

This. People making this stuff way too complicated. Its not at all uncommon for a team to start off a draft with 3 or 4 picks and finish up with 7, 8 or more. You trade down into the 2nd with a team moving up for a player, usually a QB or simply looking for that 5th year option. You trade down at least once more towards the middle of the 2nd and suddenly you've got that 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, another 4th rounder and potentially another 5th or 6th.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I don't think we need to. Just draft the picks we have and next year we will have all of ours. We have a pretty full roster as is, but a low 1st round talent is welcome and should contribute
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Two words - TRADE DOWN!

it takes two to dance the tango...who are potential trade partners?
and if anybody knows you want to trade down, its not the best negotiation spot to be in.
so having another first or second before the draft would help to not let us look as desperate...
[ Edited by 49ersFan_vienna on Feb 6, 2020 at 2:07 PM ]
it takes two to dance the tango...who are potential trade partners?
and if anybody knows you want to trade down, its not the best negotiation spot to be in.
so having another first or second before the draft would help to not let us look as desperate...

Tradedowns happen every single year. There are always teams looking to move up into the back of the 1st round.

would help to not let us look as desperate...

Not sure why you think this matters. Someone is always looking to move up and the cost of trading up is pretty well established. Teams are okay with it if there is a specific player they want, usually a QB. If teams know that you are looking to tradedown then they are simply more likely to hit you up first.
It always puts you in a worse position if you want to achieve something badly...wont be different in the nfl i guesd
Originally posted by pd24:
I don't think we need to. Just draft the picks we have and next year we will have all of ours. We have a pretty full roster as is, but a low 1st round talent is welcome and should contribute

I disagree. At minimum I think they need:

3rd edge rusher-stop bringing in guys off the scrap heap and find someone that can be a potential replacement for Ford down the road.

CB-Sherman isn't getting any younger and they have nothing behind Spoon/Moseley. Need another CB to develop. No more Dontae Johnson signings.

S-Ward is an FA and overall depth at safety is a joke. Harris should not be on the roster come next season.

WR-No deep threat to keep defenses honest. Goodwin was supposed to be the guy but that just never happened.

C-Richburg may never be healthy again and Garland is a stopgap at best.

It always puts you in a worse position if you want to achieve something badly...wont be different in the nfl i guesd

It doesn't matter because the value is largely set already. If you want to move down, someone typically also usually wants to move up. Neither side is "desperate." Usually there are multiple teams involved so it comes down to who is giving you the best offer. Teams like New England and Seattle have been doing it for years.
Don't expect any return from the likes of Solly, Spoon, CJ or any of the players we all would be okay with letting go of. I am still confused how we got something for Dakota Watson.
I checked walterfootball and they mock qbs on the top of round 2 to indy...carolina and tampa...are those the most likely teams to hope for?
I checked walterfootball and they mock qbs on the top of round 2 to indy...carolina and tampa...are those the most likely teams to hope for?

Its way too early to worry about that stuff. Wait for the Combine and FA and see how things shakeout there first. There will be signings and trades that vastly alter the draft landscape.
Obviously trade down. If we really can't afford Armstead put franchise tag on him and then trade him.
Share 49ersWebzone