LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Jauan Jennings-WR-Tennessee

Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's a WR that plays with the mindset and physicality of a throwback strong safety. That sets him apart from every other WR in this class.

Whatever someone's idea of soft is, this dude is the exact opppsite. If he can get to the right coaching staff that can help him channel that physicality, he can be a top notch NFL WR.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There are so many good WRs in this draft it's really insane.

Like you said earlier I do think SF needs that speed element though.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
There are so many good WRs in this draft it's really insane.

Like you said earlier I do think SF needs that speed element though.

Yes but I'll still happily take a bully that will mug cornerbacks and steal their lunch money.

This dude really was meant to play defense.
https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2020/01/10/matt-waldmans-rsp-boiler-room-jauan-jennings-tennessee-and-the-beast-within/

Arriving in Knoxville as a star quarterback, Tennessee saw enough from Jennings to realize that it had to get him on the field to help the team. Josh Dobbs may have never been a true NFL-caliber starter as a prospect (at least that has been my opinion for some time) but he had done enough not to lose his job to a freshman.

Jennings acclimated to the receiver position fast and the touchdown catch against South Carolina that I'm breaking down below epitomizes a lot about his film portfolio. I'll be posting a complete film room on Jennings but if you trust that what I"m showing you is illustrative of his game, then you'll know that this young receiver has what it takes to become a notable NFL starter.

Jennings is on the trajectory of becoming a beast of a football player—and when you label a prospect a "football player" instead of his position, that's the ultimate compliment.

Looking more into this guy and his history, I've had a big change of opinion on him, and not for the better. He was considered the worst prospect and undraftable by some scouts just a year ago. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I'm not at all convinced of his character to be honest. Talent? Yes. But we all know that's often not enough in this league.

Despite the week at the Senior Bowl, I don't think he's generated any significant amount more hype than the next guy to move himself much more above the plethora of other star-potential prospects who scouts would see as "safer" picks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Looking more into this guy and his history, I've had a big change of opinion on him, and not for the better. He was considered the worst prospect and undraftable by some scouts just a year ago. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I'm not at all convinced of his character to be honest. Talent? Yes. But we all know that's often not enough in this league.

Despite the week at the Senior Bowl, I don't think he's generated any significant amount more hype than the next guy to move himself much more above the plethora of other star-potential prospects who scouts would see as "safer" picks.

I don't see any major off the field stuff. He got bounced from the program by Hoke who was simply a caretaker coach after Butch Jones got canned and Jennings, immaturely to be sure, went on an Instagram rant because he felt that he had been misled about having an opportunity to play, instead Hoke kept him out of games. That whole program was a dumpster fire at the time.

When Pruitt took over, he talked to the staff, the players and other people around that program and then approached Jennings to bring him back.

Tennessee's coach was asked to recall his decision to allow Jennings back on the team soon after his arrival on Rocky Top.

"I asked a lot of people in the building what they thought, most of them that said I wouldn't let him back don't work here anymore. The people that said let him back all work here," Pruitt said on Monday. "When you start talking to the players that play on the team, the Trey Smith's the Daniel Bitiuli's and they say, 'No coach, we want this guy on our team.' I knew enough about those guys in recruiting to know what was right and what was wrong.

"We gave him an opportunity and set out some things that we required him to do and he's done everything that we've asked him to do, everything that we've asked him to do. It goes to show you that when you get second chances, some people make the most of them and Jauan Jennings has made the most of his chance the second time around. He is going to graduate in December, good for him. He has had a great senior year, I know he wants to finish it on a positive note. And he's going to leave his mark on the University of Tennessee – not only as a football player – but as a person, person of character and a leader that has given his all for the University of Tennessee."

Jennings has not only proven to be one of the most consistent players for Tennessee since Pruitt's arrival, but he has also been an invaluable leader for the program this season. When the Vols faced adversity early in the season, it was Jennings that publicly vowed the season was far from over and challenged his teammates on and off the field to continue to fight.

Coming a seven-catch, 174-yard, two touchdown performance against South Carolina, Jennings is playing the best football of his college career and was named co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. According to Pruitt, that's not surprising given the effort the senior gives every single day for the Vols.

"What a leader, what an ambassador he has been for the university, he is getting his degree," Pruitt added. "Talking about the passion that he plays with, the toughness. I've seen it every day at practice. What you all see on Saturday is what we see every day. We need a team full of Jauans. He has helped shape guys on our football team on how he has how he goes about his business, how he competes, because it's contagious. It's great having him here and I'm thankful I've had the chance to coach him the last few years."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeremy-pruitt-jauan-jennings-volunteers-decision-return/

Jennings is definitely a bit rough around the edges but he's not Tyreek Hill or some of these dudes that get into serious legal trouble. He showed some bad judgment in dealing with a crappy situation at Tennessee that was not of his making and when given a second chance, he made the most of it.

I don't get the sense at all that he's in anyway a bad guy, just a dude that is probably but definitely a bit too hard and could use some good coaching and veteran leadership in the NFL to help him soften up and play smart while still maintaining his competitive fire on the field.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I don't see any major off the field stuff. He got bounced from the program by Hoke who was simply a caretaker coach after Butch Jones got canned and Jennings, immaturely to be sure, went on an Instagram rant because he felt that he had been misled about having an opportunity to play, instead Hoke kept him out of games. That whole program was a dumpster fire at the time.

When Pruitt took over, he talked to the staff, the players and other people around that program and then approached Jennings to bring him back.

Tennessee's coach was asked to recall his decision to allow Jennings back on the team soon after his arrival on Rocky Top.

"I asked a lot of people in the building what they thought, most of them that said I wouldn't let him back don't work here anymore. The people that said let him back all work here," Pruitt said on Monday. "When you start talking to the players that play on the team, the Trey Smith's the Daniel Bitiuli's and they say, 'No coach, we want this guy on our team.' I knew enough about those guys in recruiting to know what was right and what was wrong.

"We gave him an opportunity and set out some things that we required him to do and he's done everything that we've asked him to do, everything that we've asked him to do. It goes to show you that when you get second chances, some people make the most of them and Jauan Jennings has made the most of his chance the second time around. He is going to graduate in December, good for him. He has had a great senior year, I know he wants to finish it on a positive note. And he's going to leave his mark on the University of Tennessee – not only as a football player – but as a person, person of character and a leader that has given his all for the University of Tennessee."

Jennings has not only proven to be one of the most consistent players for Tennessee since Pruitt's arrival, but he has also been an invaluable leader for the program this season. When the Vols faced adversity early in the season, it was Jennings that publicly vowed the season was far from over and challenged his teammates on and off the field to continue to fight.

Coming a seven-catch, 174-yard, two touchdown performance against South Carolina, Jennings is playing the best football of his college career and was named co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. According to Pruitt, that's not surprising given the effort the senior gives every single day for the Vols.

"What a leader, what an ambassador he has been for the university, he is getting his degree," Pruitt added. "Talking about the passion that he plays with, the toughness. I've seen it every day at practice. What you all see on Saturday is what we see every day. We need a team full of Jauans. He has helped shape guys on our football team on how he has how he goes about his business, how he competes, because it's contagious. It's great having him here and I'm thankful I've had the chance to coach him the last few years."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeremy-pruitt-jauan-jennings-volunteers-decision-return/

Jennings is definitely a bit rough around the edges but he's not Tyreek Hill or some of these dudes that get into serious legal trouble. He showed some bad judgment in dealing with a crappy situation at Tennessee that was not of his making and when given a second chance, he made the most of it.

I don't get the sense at all that he's in anyway a bad guy, just a dude that is probably but definitely a bit too hard and could use some good coaching and veteran leadership in the NFL to help him soften up and play smart while still maintaining his competitive fire on the field.

Dude Suh-stomped on a Vanderbilt player's bare head this year and got suspended. Again, I don't question his talent, but I'm not at all convinced that he's matured or has put his character concerns behind him.
Still want an outside burner. Need some complementary players. We'd have some serious bullies with Deebo, Hurd, and this guy however.

JJ is a sleeper stud. He was the Vols offense. I wouldn't be mad at drafting him in the 1st.
For some reason, i cam see a WR converted to TE with Jennings. If he could add some lbs, maybe a possibility.
dude is big. did we find our redzone threat?
Went exactly where I expected after all the extra digging noted above. 7th round. But certainly worth the risk to see if he can keep it together emotionally here. If he matures, he could be a steal.
Share 49ersWebzone