There are 222 users in the forums

Jauan Jennings-WR-Tennessee

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Looking more into this guy and his history, I've had a big change of opinion on him, and not for the better. He was considered the worst prospect and undraftable by some scouts just a year ago. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I'm not at all convinced of his character to be honest. Talent? Yes. But we all know that's often not enough in this league.

Despite the week at the Senior Bowl, I don't think he's generated any significant amount more hype than the next guy to move himself much more above the plethora of other star-potential prospects who scouts would see as "safer" picks.

I don't see any major off the field stuff. He got bounced from the program by Hoke who was simply a caretaker coach after Butch Jones got canned and Jennings, immaturely to be sure, went on an Instagram rant because he felt that he had been misled about having an opportunity to play, instead Hoke kept him out of games. That whole program was a dumpster fire at the time.

When Pruitt took over, he talked to the staff, the players and other people around that program and then approached Jennings to bring him back.

Tennessee's coach was asked to recall his decision to allow Jennings back on the team soon after his arrival on Rocky Top.

"I asked a lot of people in the building what they thought, most of them that said I wouldn't let him back don't work here anymore. The people that said let him back all work here," Pruitt said on Monday. "When you start talking to the players that play on the team, the Trey Smith's the Daniel Bitiuli's and they say, 'No coach, we want this guy on our team.' I knew enough about those guys in recruiting to know what was right and what was wrong.

"We gave him an opportunity and set out some things that we required him to do and he's done everything that we've asked him to do, everything that we've asked him to do. It goes to show you that when you get second chances, some people make the most of them and Jauan Jennings has made the most of his chance the second time around. He is going to graduate in December, good for him. He has had a great senior year, I know he wants to finish it on a positive note. And he's going to leave his mark on the University of Tennessee – not only as a football player – but as a person, person of character and a leader that has given his all for the University of Tennessee."

Jennings has not only proven to be one of the most consistent players for Tennessee since Pruitt's arrival, but he has also been an invaluable leader for the program this season. When the Vols faced adversity early in the season, it was Jennings that publicly vowed the season was far from over and challenged his teammates on and off the field to continue to fight.

Coming a seven-catch, 174-yard, two touchdown performance against South Carolina, Jennings is playing the best football of his college career and was named co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. According to Pruitt, that's not surprising given the effort the senior gives every single day for the Vols.

"What a leader, what an ambassador he has been for the university, he is getting his degree," Pruitt added. "Talking about the passion that he plays with, the toughness. I've seen it every day at practice. What you all see on Saturday is what we see every day. We need a team full of Jauans. He has helped shape guys on our football team on how he has how he goes about his business, how he competes, because it's contagious. It's great having him here and I'm thankful I've had the chance to coach him the last few years."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeremy-pruitt-jauan-jennings-volunteers-decision-return/

Jennings is definitely a bit rough around the edges but he's not Tyreek Hill or some of these dudes that get into serious legal trouble. He showed some bad judgment in dealing with a crappy situation at Tennessee that was not of his making and when given a second chance, he made the most of it.

I don't get the sense at all that he's in anyway a bad guy, just a dude that is probably but definitely a bit too hard and could use some good coaching and veteran leadership in the NFL to help him soften up and play smart while still maintaining his competitive fire on the field.

Dude Suh-stomped on a Vanderbilt player's bare head this year and got suspended. Again, I don't question his talent, but I'm not at all convinced that he's matured or has put his character concerns behind him.

Yeah you may be right but this is a 7th round pick i'm not expecting the world from this pick.
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
JJ is a sleeper stud. He was the Vols offense. I wouldn't be mad at drafting him in the 1st.

Good thing you ain't gm lol

Also I love this guy from what I've seen. Him and Hurd. Deebo and kittle. Got that daaaaawg
Put this guys locker next to Pettis
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This. Pettis will either get face tats, add 10 pounds of muscle and go on search and destroy missions to take people out on the field or he'll retire and go into professional figure skating.

This. Pettis will either get face tats, add 10 pounds of muscle and go on search and destroy missions to take people out on the field or he'll retire and go into professional figure skating.

I also want a vet in there
seems like the anti pettis.
boom or bust player.

His lightbulb is not screwed all the way in. Tons of talent, but short fuse and very questionable life choices.

At age 14, Jennings was on the Germantown High School basketball team in Memphis. Prior to their state championship game, the team was told to run outdoor sprints by their coach in the middle of Winter. Out of frustration, Jennings refused and quit the team.

In 2015- Jennings was accused of assaulting an underage student and stealing his phone.

in 2016- Arrested for Drugs

In 2017-he was slow to comeback from a wrist injury ( it was rumored his conditioning was an issue). It was said that He walked out of practice and left the campus because he was not allowed to play QB, Who knows if that is true or not...but he then went to war with the coaching staff on social media.

In 2019- we had the head stomping incident

Mixed in all this he has had numerous injuries and we don't even know the stuff that never got leaked.

If you watch his highlight reel, keep reminding your self this is not a guy that had a bazillion games. He did all that in a LIMITED amount of time. When he is playing he is a monster.

Clearly VERY talented, and lucky for us as a 7th rounder....its completely up to him to toe the party line and perform. He is on a short leash.

I like the player, to be frank...i hate the person. I was so happy he was not an Auburn Tiger. I am not real pleased he is a 49er, but people deserve second chances in life and maybe he has matured.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
boom or bust player.

His lightbulb is not screwed all the way in. Tons of talent, but short fuse and very questionable life choices.

At age 14, Jennings was on the Germantown High School basketball team in Memphis. Prior to their state championship game, the team was told to run outdoor sprints by their coach in the middle of Winter. Out of frustration, Jennings refused and quit the team.

In 2015- Jennings was accused of assaulting an underage student and stealing his phone.

In 2017-he was slow to comeback from a wrist injury ( it was rumored his conditioning was an issue). It was said that He walked out of practice and left the campus because he was not allowed to play QB, Who knows if that is true or not...but he then went to war with the coaching staff on social media.

Mixed in all this he has had numerous injuries and we don't even know the stuff that never got leaked.

If you watch his highlight reel, keep reminding your self this is not a guy that had a bazillion games. He did all that in a LIMITED amount of time. When he is playing he is a monster.

Clearly VERY talented, and lucky for us as a 7th rounder....its completely up to him to toe the party line and perform. He is on a short leash.

I like the player, to be frank...i hate the person. I was so happy he was not an Auburn Tiger. I am not real pleased he is a 49er, but people deserve second chances in life and maybe he has matured.

It's the 7th round. This is when you take those kinds of risks. We are now probably the type of locker room that can handle this type of thing. If there is an incident, you can easily cut him without any second thought. This isn't the Reuben Foster situation where you used a 1st round pick on a trade up. We have multiple pass catchers on this team that will take your money. And it looks like we are still trying to collect all of the infinity stones on the Dline.
This man is bout it bout it!!!!!

Looks like Kittle but at the WR position!

What would you do on defense if we sent out This guy, Hurd, and Kittle with Juice and Jet? You go heavy and this is a empty backfield package, keep your nickel or dime package in and they run the fricken wishbone right at you!!!

Will be tough to stop these dudes in the RZ.

Sandwich Pettis in between Hurd and Jennings and maybe some of the tough will wear on him.

This wasn't a wr pick - this was a positionless pick for a slot / TE hybrid. Definitely insurance for Hurd but a good versatile piece that will be useful to add depth at both wr and TE.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
boom or bust player.

It's the 7th round. This is when you take those kinds of risks. We are now probably the type of locker room that can handle this type of thing. If there is an incident, you can easily cut him without any second thought. This isn't the Reuben Foster situation where you used a 1st round pick on a trade up. We have multiple pass catchers on this team that will take your money. And it looks like we are still trying to collect all of the infinity stones on the Dline.

what exactly happened with him and his past?
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Looking more into this guy and his history, I've had a big change of opinion on him, and not for the better. He was considered the worst prospect and undraftable by some scouts just a year ago. We'll see what happens at the combine, but I'm not at all convinced of his character to be honest. Talent? Yes. But we all know that's often not enough in this league.

Despite the week at the Senior Bowl, I don't think he's generated any significant amount more hype than the next guy to move himself much more above the plethora of other star-potential prospects who scouts would see as "safer" picks.

I don't see any major off the field stuff. He got bounced from the program by Hoke who was simply a caretaker coach after Butch Jones got canned and Jennings, immaturely to be sure, went on an Instagram rant because he felt that he had been misled about having an opportunity to play, instead Hoke kept him out of games. That whole program was a dumpster fire at the time.

When Pruitt took over, he talked to the staff, the players and other people around that program and then approached Jennings to bring him back.

Tennessee's coach was asked to recall his decision to allow Jennings back on the team soon after his arrival on Rocky Top.

"I asked a lot of people in the building what they thought, most of them that said I wouldn't let him back don't work here anymore. The people that said let him back all work here," Pruitt said on Monday. "When you start talking to the players that play on the team, the Trey Smith's the Daniel Bitiuli's and they say, 'No coach, we want this guy on our team.' I knew enough about those guys in recruiting to know what was right and what was wrong.

"We gave him an opportunity and set out some things that we required him to do and he's done everything that we've asked him to do, everything that we've asked him to do. It goes to show you that when you get second chances, some people make the most of them and Jauan Jennings has made the most of his chance the second time around. He is going to graduate in December, good for him. He has had a great senior year, I know he wants to finish it on a positive note. And he's going to leave his mark on the University of Tennessee – not only as a football player – but as a person, person of character and a leader that has given his all for the University of Tennessee."

Jennings has not only proven to be one of the most consistent players for Tennessee since Pruitt's arrival, but he has also been an invaluable leader for the program this season. When the Vols faced adversity early in the season, it was Jennings that publicly vowed the season was far from over and challenged his teammates on and off the field to continue to fight.

Coming a seven-catch, 174-yard, two touchdown performance against South Carolina, Jennings is playing the best football of his college career and was named co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. According to Pruitt, that's not surprising given the effort the senior gives every single day for the Vols.

"What a leader, what an ambassador he has been for the university, he is getting his degree," Pruitt added. "Talking about the passion that he plays with, the toughness. I've seen it every day at practice. What you all see on Saturday is what we see every day. We need a team full of Jauans. He has helped shape guys on our football team on how he has how he goes about his business, how he competes, because it's contagious. It's great having him here and I'm thankful I've had the chance to coach him the last few years."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeremy-pruitt-jauan-jennings-volunteers-decision-return/

Jennings is definitely a bit rough around the edges but he's not Tyreek Hill or some of these dudes that get into serious legal trouble. He showed some bad judgment in dealing with a crappy situation at Tennessee that was not of his making and when given a second chance, he made the most of it.

I don't get the sense at all that he's in anyway a bad guy, just a dude that is probably but definitely a bit too hard and could use some good coaching and veteran leadership in the NFL to help him soften up and play smart while still maintaining his competitive fire on the field.

Dude Suh-stomped on a Vanderbilt player's bare head this year and got suspended. Again, I don't question his talent, but I'm not at all convinced that he's matured or has put his character concerns behind him.

Yeah you may be right but this is a 7th round pick i'm not expecting the world from this pick.

I love this, we brought in attitude! This new brand of the NFL can be punked (see last season).

Our new ALL Bully Squad:
Bosa
Ford
Armstead
Kinlaw
Jones
Deebo
Greenlaw
Alexander
Kittle
Jenning
Mckivitz
TRENT WILLIAMS

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
This wasn't a wr pick - this was a positionless pick for a slot / TE hybrid. Definitely insurance for Hurd but a good versatile piece that will be useful to add depth at both wr and TE.

FACTS
I hope he makes the roster and Pettis is cut
Share 49ersWebzone