LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

Kyle Dugger-SS-Lenoir-Rhyne

Trade down and take him.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Trade down and take him.

Where you playing him? SS or FS?

Are we done with Moore? Kid had like half an off season and a couple games at S. Top100 pick and stupid athletic ability.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Trade down and take him.

Where you playing him? SS or FS?

Are we done with Moore? Kid had like half an off season and a couple games at S. Top100 pick and stupid athletic ability.

Yeah I'd love to get all these players but we have to be very smart with the limited draft capital we have.

Assuming Ward is re-signed or even if he's not I think the only way I'm taking a safety with our top pick if it's clearly BPA. I think McKinney and possibly Delpit would be that at 31.

If Ward is back trading out of 31 to take Dugger would be(at least at this point) a hard sell. Easier if Ward isn't resigned but still not something i think would be the best route for us to go in as I do think Moore could step up and play well with more reps and we see a lot of very good safeties come out of the later rounds.

And honestly if we were to go safety in round 2 after a trade down I'd probably lean more towards Davis or Winfield Jr as I think they're better fits at FS for us.
Originally posted by genus49:
Yeah I'd love to get all these players but we have to be very smart with the limited draft capital we have.

Assuming Ward is re-signed or even if he's not I think the only way I'm taking a safety with our top pick if it's clearly BPA. I think McKinney and possibly Delpit would be that at 31.

If Ward is back trading out of 31 to take Dugger would be(at least at this point) a hard sell. Easier if Ward isn't resigned but still not something i think would be the best route for us to go in as I do think Moore could step up and play well with more reps and we see a lot of very good safeties come out of the later rounds.

And honestly if we were to go safety in round 2 after a trade down I'd probably lean more towards Davis or Winfield Jr as I think they're better fits at FS for us.

Too be honest I haven't watch Kyle Dugger outside of some SB clips and just stuff I've read. I'm actually fine with not resigning Ward unless he's giving SF a good discount.

I'm fine letting Moore rock out at FS. His at least got elite level ability. Kid could be a ball-hawk back there.
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
He is also able to play FS, I believe he will be a 2nd rounder , maybe first because he will kill at the Combines. He is bigger and likely much faster than Delpit. Delpit is of course NFL ready while Dugger would be a project. Delpit has a enormously higher floor but Dugger has the higher ceiling

IMO Xavier McKinney has played better than Delpit this yr. The kid from Cal is intriguing as well.

All excellent choices, we need to trade down and acquire some 2nd.-3rd. rd. picks! These guys just wont be around by the 5th. rd. sadly!!

Too be honest I haven't watch Kyle Dugger outside of some SB clips and just stuff I've read. I'm actually fine with not resigning Ward unless he's giving SF a good discount.

I'm fine letting Moore rock out at FS. His at least got elite level ability. Kid could be a ball-hawk back there.

Yeah. I think Moore had a bad miss tackle or took a bad angle vs. Pittsburgh (but also almost made a INT), and somehow fell out of favor with Saleh. Add to that Ward came on at the right time, rest was history. I think overall the kid did good, which Is why I think we re-sign Ward, but we add/draft one of these guys listed and have him beat out the DJ Reed's and Marcell harris' of the world.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Yeah. I think Moore had a bad miss tackle or took a bad angle vs. Pittsburgh (but also almost made a INT), and somehow fell out of favor with Saleh. Add to that Ward came on at the right time, rest was history. I think overall the kid did good, which Is why I think we re-sign Ward, but we add/draft one of these guys listed and have him beat out the DJ Reed's and Marcell harris' of the world.

I don't think Moore ever fell out of favor as much as Ward never lost favor and finally got healthy. Moore was hot/cold but is a young player who we played at corner as a rookie. We could definitely do worse than Moore at FS which is what I was insinuating when saying even if Ward doesn't re-sign with us(ie Moore starts at FS)

I think the safety position is getting more important these days but it's not a position where need should overrule the draft board for us.

I saw one dude on Facebook talk about cutting Moore, re-signing Ward, signing Anthony Harris and then drafting Delpit and all I could do was shake my head.
  • dj43

I would take this conversation a different direction. I would keep Ward/Moore and draft Dugger, assuming he is available, to replace Tartt. Tartt was much better than Harris but is just average as SS go. We need better coverage guys at safety in this passing league, and Tartt's coverage grades are low average. Cutting Tartt saves $4,900,000 in cap. From the admittedly small sample I have seen of Dugger, I see him as SS strength and FS coverage skills.

Of course, all this depends on a trade down, IMO, as I don't think safety is the value pick at #31.
We'll see in a few days how this guy does at the combine. I assume he'll be there so let's see if he opens some eyes.
Top player taken should be best CB on the board...Sherman's lost a step & it's time to beef the secondary up before he decides to hang up his cleats. Other possibilities are best OT or OG/C. Pretty sure Ward will get re-signed.

Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Saleh and Shanny love them some Ward. Kyle said if he could wear a Ward jersey on game day he would lol. I got no problem if they resign him BUT no way am I giving him top 5 safety money.

He doesn't turn the ball over, which is needed playing FS. That's something Moore can do. He needs to work on his angles and that comes with more reps playing that position.

Reed should be playing CB IMO. He's not a safety. Harris is a box safety only and could even add some LBs and play LBer in this defense.
Originally posted by dj43:
I would take this conversation a different direction. I would keep Ward/Moore and draft Dugger, assuming he is available, to replace Tartt. Tartt was much better than Harris but is just average as SS go. We need better coverage guys at safety in this passing league, and Tartt's coverage grades are low average. Cutting Tartt saves $4,900,000 in cap. From the admittedly small sample I have seen of Dugger, I see him as SS strength and FS coverage skills.

Of course, all this depends on a trade down, IMO, as I don't think safety is the value pick at #31.

I don't think Tartt is avg. When he was hurt our defense went down the tubes (sort of speak) with him not all the field. I think a far comp to Dugger (for what little I've seen) would be Tartt.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 17, 2020 at 6:53 AM ]
Since we don't have the draft picks to go high on a WR, DB and O lineman it's going to come down to the best guy at those positions and which is the best value. Someone always slides back so maybe we get lucky. Even if we trade back, the best we'll get is a 2nd and 3rd. Maybe two 2nds if a team wants someone at 31 bad enough.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Top player taken should be best CB on the board...Sherman's lost a step & it's time to beef the secondary up before he decides to hang up his cleats. Other possibilities are best OT or OG/C. Pretty sure Ward will get re-signed.

Top corners won't be there at 31.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Since we don't have the draft picks to go high on a WR, DB and O lineman it's going to come down to the best guy at those positions and which is the best value. Someone always slides back so maybe we get lucky. Even if we trade back, the best we'll get is a 2nd and 3rd. Maybe two 2nds if a team wants someone at 31 bad enough.

They can also move down from that 2nd rd pick if that becomes an option. I'm fine rolling with a 2nd and a bunch of picks from the 3rd-5th.
Share 49ersWebzone