There are 201 users in the forums

Justin Jefferson WR LSU

Why is Jefferson not getting more attention? I love how he moves on the field, super fluid and smooth. Looks fast on the field with 4.4-4.5 track speed. Attacks the ball and is willing to take contact in the middle of the field but also make plays on the outside.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Why is Jefferson not getting more attention? I love how he moves on the field, super fluid and smooth. Looks fast on the field with 4.4-4.5 track speed. Attacks the ball and is willing to take contact in the middle of the field but also make plays on the outside.

Pretty much limited to playing the slot. Questions about how well he can separate at the next level. Solid prospect but doesn't have the same upside as Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb and Mims.

I think he's severely under rated too..
Jefferson is rated a little lower because he is mainly a slot receiver. But in the modern NFL, that is an incredibly important position for many teams. Wouldnt be surprised if he goes bottom of the first round to a solid team like the Vikings or Eagles. Said team will know how to utilize him and he will probably put up better numbers than some of the higher rated WRs that go to bad teams with bad QB play and are expect to be the number one WR drawing the other teams top CB.
The more tape I see on this kid, the more I'm convinced the Niners should trade back and draft him.

Originally posted by 9er4lyphe:
The more tape I see on this kid, the more I'm convinced the Niners should trade back and draft him.

I like Jefferson, truly do...if we end up moving down I will be fine with him as the pick. I do have questions on if he can beat press/play on the outside? Every quality play I've seen from him is from in the slot.
If the three top WRs are gone let's trade down to 22 and draft Jefferson.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

won't be there at 22. Eagles at 21 is latest he'll go. Actually seen somewhere some like him more than Ruggs

this isn't the 1st place i seen it but...

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2020-LSU-wide-receiver-Justin-Jefferson-on-rise-first-round-pick-146011336/
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 14, 2020 at 6:19 AM ]

Jefferson is a fantastic receiver. Honeslty, would not be surprised if he put up some of the best numbers in the draft class in terms of receptions. And people will criticize the big 3 WRs for not being as productive as Jefferson. But he is a slot receiver, which isnt as important of a position in our offense, so his value would be downgraded some. Now for the Vikings, Eagles, Patriots with picks in the early 20s, he could be a really nice fit and a great draft pick.

Slot this, slot that. Talking heads say slot so he must only be a slot.

Perhaps LSU moved him to the slot last year because thats where they wanted their best WR to be in the scheme?

With his speed, route running, and body control he'll be fine on the outside.

Let's also not forget Joe Burrow wasn't Joe Burrow when Jefferson was on the outside.
Originally posted by Stanley:

Perhaps LSU moved him to the slot last year because thats where they wanted their best WR to be in the scheme?

Let's also not forget Joe Burrow wasn't Joe Burrow when Jefferson was on the outside.

Their 3 best WRs were Ja'Marr Chase who was a monster on the outside and better than any WR in this draft class, Jefferson, and Terrace Marshall who is 6'4 200. Jefferson played slot because they had a bunch of big WRs who can all play outside. He put up 875 yards last year playing mostly outside in a run-first offense (Chase had less than 400 yards last year). The guy is bigger and more athletic than Jeudy and can play both slot and outside effectively so you can move him around. If anything, that's a plus.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I read somewhere (may even have been TV) that Joe Brady used Jefferson the same way NO used Michael Thomas and once i seen/heard that. I seen it.

I think Jefferson would be a beast in our offense and with how Kyle moves EVERYONE around it doesn't really matter what your label is.

Ja'Marr Chase wasn't playing in the slot.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:

won't be there at 22. Eagles at 21 is latest he'll go. Actually seen somewhere some like him more than Ruggs

this isn't the 1st place i seen it but...

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2020-LSU-wide-receiver-Justin-Jefferson-on-rise-first-round-pick-146011336/

Ok trade down to 20 or 21 and draft Jefferson. And if he is gone then we draft a CB/T/DT and hope a WR we like is there at #31 with the boatloads of other teams wanting to draft a WR in that tier. I don't think any of the 2nd tier WRs are worth #20/21 other than Jefferson.

This is the danger in trading back and not just taking the WR at #13 IF they are super high on one of the top 3 WR.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Apr 14, 2020 at 10:57 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone