LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

MadDog49er Draft Primer and Best Board- Top 50 Players April 24 Edition

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Rereading your top 50 reminds me of last yr with the DE/ER deal. I don't think there were as many ERs/DEs in the whole draft as there were in this top 50. What a difference a yr makes.

Yeah, every year is quite different. This year is loaded on defense.

Good for us. We finally catch a break and draft high in a year that is loaded at positions of need. Sometimes you have to get lucky. I still expect a trade somewhere to get another draft pick or two.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Of course he has been dreadful since leaving Florida, but talent wise where would you rank Jachai Polite?

Somewhere between Vontaze Burfict and Takk McKinley.
Great work MD,

Some people have tried to say that Rosen would be the number 1 QB if he was in this class. Do you agree? Or is Murray still considered better by you? Thanks.
[ Edited by badguy_1 on Apr 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM ]
No Metcalf? Laughable. Clearly your 'grading' is flawed. AJ Brown is a slot guy who only produced against lesser competition. If you ever watched them you would know that. Lodge could end up being better than AJ Brown
[ Edited by theRealness on Apr 13, 2019 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by miked1978:
Who are some 4th and 5th round guys you'd like to the Niners to get assuming we go Edge/WR with our first 2 picks?

There are always going to be guys that slide for some reason that are value picks. I like to grab at least one of these sliders each year. A couple of guys I have picked up along the way in the past decade: Martavis Bryant, Jay Ajayi, Xavier Woods, Jalen Mills. For interior OL, I like Arkansas G Hjalte Froholdt. He did about as best any human can do against Quinnen Williams. Athletic kid who can move. Probably best as a center. Late round guy: LB Cole Holcomb of UNC. Love Michael Dogbe, DT, Temple. Devine Ozigbo of Nebraska is a pretty good third day RB. Too many to mention all.
Originally posted by theRealness:
No Metcalf? Laughable. Clearly your 'grading' is flawed. AJ Brown is a slot guy who only produced against lesser competition. If you ever watched them you would know that. Lodge could end up being better than AJ Brown

Thank you for the compliment. Please check the bolded, underline sections that I will detonate below in 5,4,3,2,1.......

AJ Brown was primary a slot receiver for the first 6 games of 2018. At the same time, Metcalf played on the edge. The teams they played are below and Brown's slot yards in each game:
1. Texas Tech- 93 yards
2. Southern Illinois- 158 yards
3. Alabama- 34 yards
4. Kent State- 96 yards
5. LSU- 72 yards
6. Louisiana Monroe-133 yards

If you want to consider that a juggernaut of defenses, that is up to you. I would disagree. Average yards per game: 586/6= 97 yards/game

Brown replaced Metcalf in the Arkansas game on 10/13. Let's wash that game as both played on the edge.

The final five games, Brown took Metcalf's place as the left-side wide receiver. Here were the final five games:
1. Auburn- 155 yards
2. South Carolina- 115 yards
3. Texas A&M- 127 yards
4. Vanderbilt- 212 yards
5. Mississippi State- 61 yards

I would consider the bottom five teams better than the top 6 teams, but if you think Texas Tech, Kent St., Southern Illinois and Louisiana Monroe better than SEC schools (lesser competition), than that is up to you. I would disagree.

Final five game stats- 670 yards/5 games= 134 yards per game.

Last time I checked my math...134 yards per game>97 yards per game. But, I could be wrong. I don't teach math.

If you want to debate whether Metcalf is better than Brown, that is fine. But, if you are going to call my views "laughable", then you've got to bring some that demonstrates it. Brown showed to be more than "a slot guy", and he "produced against lesser competition", and then produced under better competition.

"if you ever watched them"- Really?

Raise your game if you are going to challenge the Dog. Come on, man. You've got to do better if you are going to insult me.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 13, 2019 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by badguy_1:
Great work MD,

Some people have tried to say that Rosen would be the number 1 QB if he was in this class. Do you agree? Or is Murray still considered better by you? Thanks.

I had Rosen as QB4 last year, behind Baker, Darnold, and Allen. Some probably thought it was "laughable" for me to put him there. I have zero faith in him. Not a leader, not a winner, and doubtful ever will be. Murray is a stud. QB1 going away. Rosen would be QB4 for me this year as well, after Murray, Haskins and Lock.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thank you for the compliment. Please check the bolded, underline sections that I will detonate below in 5,4,3,2,1.......

AJ Brown was primary a slot receiver for the first 6 games of 2018. At the same time, Metcalf played on the edge. The teams they played are below and Brown's slot yards in each game:
1. Texas Tech- 93 yards
2. Southern Illinois- 158 yards
3. Alabama- 34 yards
4. Kent State- 96 yards
5. LSU- 72 yards
6. Louisiana Monroe-133 yards

If you want to consider that a juggernaut of defenses, that is up to you. I would disagree. Average yards per game: 586/6= 97 yards/game

Brown replaced Metcalf in the Arkansas game on 10/13. Let's wash that game as both played on the edge.

The final five games, Brown took Metcalf's place as the left-side wide receiver. Here were the final five games:
1. Auburn- 155 yards
2. South Carolina- 115 yards
3. Texas A&M- 127 yards
4. Vanderbilt- 212 yards
5. Mississippi State- 61 yards

I would consider the bottom five teams better than the top 6 teams, but if you think Texas Tech, Kent St., Southern Illinois and Louisiana Monroe better than SEC schools (lesser competition), than that is up to you. I would disagree.

Final five game stats- 670 yards/5 games= 134 yards per game.

Last time I checked my math...134 yards per game>97 yards per game. But, I could be wrong. I don't teach math.

If you want to debate whether Metcalf is better than Brown, that is fine. But, if you are going to call my views "laughable", then you've got to bring some that demonstrates it. Brown showed to be more than "a slot guy", and he "produced against lesser competition", and then produced under better competition.

"if you ever watched them"- Really?

Raise your game if you are going to challenge the Dog. Come on, man. You've got to do better if you are going to insult me.

Those numbers on the outside are nice. But when pressed versus Vandy he couldn't even shake loose.

When given free release versus vandy (and the other two teams i watched) he crushed them.

He could easily play outside off the LOS. But hard for me to project him out there on the LOS in the pros due to coaching.

Either way, I'd take him knowing you're getting a hell of a player inside at the very least
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 13, 2019 at 3:09 PM ]
MD, seems to be a light year for OL? Is there someone in Rd 3 and beyond that could move Mags, Coleman or Garnett off the roster?
Hey MD,

In this years draft, who would you say compares to OBJ? Obviously we now know OBJ is a stud when he is healthy and not being dramatic, but just from His collegiate career, who does he compare to?

Here are some of obj's stats:
40 YARD DASH: 4.43 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 7 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 38.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 122.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.69 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 3.94 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 10.93 SEC

HT: 5'11" WT: 198LBS.
POSITION: WR
SCHOOL: LSU
ARM LENGTH: 32 3/4"
HANDS: 10"

OBJ was drafted 12th overall. A lot of fans like to look for that big Julio Jones wr since Shanny was successful with him in Atlanta. But Lynch and Shanny were obviously ok to try and bring in OBJ who is 5'11 and pair him with Pettis and Goodwin. Again, I don't think there is necessarily an OBJ in this draft, but do you see anyone that maybe fits the mold or who could be dynamic like that with their own skillset?

AJ was always my favorite but every time i watch Isabella it seems like if the db's don't put hands on him at the line, he burns them.

You think there's 50 better football players than Josh Jacobs and Drue Tranquilo is one of them? Lol. Let me guess, you're not getting paid for this list?
[ Edited by T-9ers on Apr 13, 2019 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
You think there's 50 better players than Josh Jacobs and Drue Tranquilo is one of them? Lol. Let me guess, your work is free.

What's your top 50?
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

What's your top 50?

Probably similar to his except Josh Jacobs is easily one of the top 50 football players. I was just busting his chops.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Apr 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

What's your top 50?

Probably similar to his except Josh Jacobs is easily one of the top 50 football players. I was just busting his chops.

My sarcasm meter was broken.
Don't come at the Dog!!
Share 49ersWebzone