LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

MadDog49er Draft Primer and Best Board- Top 50 Players April 24 Edition

I really hope we get Butler. Somehow some way I've always wanted him even if it's a trade up. I hope the Niners like him as well
MadDog what is your assessment of Chase Winovich? There are a lot of people here who like the idea of a QW + Winovich first two rounds. Would you be happy with that?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the effort you put into this stuff.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Rereading your top 50 reminds me of last yr with the DE/ER deal. I don't think there were as many ERs/DEs in the whole draft as there were in this top 50. What a difference a yr makes.

Yeah, every year is quite different. This year is loaded on defense.

Good for us. We finally catch a break and draft high in a year that is loaded at positions of need. Sometimes you have to get lucky. I still expect a trade somewhere to get another draft pick or two.

I think that trade down is at #36.

Teams will have all night to strategize and the run on WR's is expected to go there. We're at the top there. Cash in on a trigger FO like we did for Pettis moving up to #44 to get our guy.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM ]
Thanks MadDog for this. Always look forward to your post this time of the year. What are you thoughts on Irv Smith Jr. He was considered pretty close to the other two TEs that are on your big board. Is he going to be available in 3rd round (unlikely)?
I have 25 guys graded as first rounders. The split is between Abram and Ford.

Dillard is the only stud LT in this draft class. Impeccable pass protection, and good enough run blocking. He is the perfect modern LT for the NFL. OL who run fast shuttle times are more likely succeed at the next level, and Dillard was faster than the rest. Very low bust potential in my mind, and a definite trade down option if the team gets a deal too good to pass. He is going to anchor the left side for the next decade.

Really, you don't have a 1st round grade for Greedy or any other CB besides Murphy?
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
MD, seems to be a light year for OL? Is there someone in Rd 3 and beyond that could move Mags, Coleman or Garnett off the roster?
Here are some guys I like at tackle for Day Three Picks
Mitch Hyatt
Chuma Edoga
Oli Udoh

Here are some guys I like at guard for potential Day Three Picks
Hjalte Froholdt
Connor McGovern
Ryan Bates
Nate Davis
Michael Deiter
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Hey MD,

In this years draft, who would you say compares to OBJ? Obviously we now know OBJ is a stud when he is healthy and not being dramatic, but just from His collegiate career, who does he compare to?

Here are some of obj's stats:
40 YARD DASH: 4.43 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 7 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 38.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 122.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 6.69 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 3.94 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 10.93 SEC

HT: 5'11" WT: 198LBS.
POSITION: WR
SCHOOL: LSU
ARM LENGTH: 32 3/4"
HANDS: 10"

OBJ was drafted 12th overall. A lot of fans like to look for that big Julio Jones wr since Shanny was successful with him in Atlanta. But Lynch and Shanny were obviously ok to try and bring in OBJ who is 5'11 and pair him with Pettis and Goodwin. Again, I don't think there is necessarily an OBJ in this draft, but do you see anyone that maybe fits the mold or who could be dynamic like that with their own skillset?

AJ was always my favorite but every time i watch Isabella it seems like if the db's don't put hands on him at the line, he burns them.

Odell is a unique cat. He has freaky testing numbers, matched with length and huge paws, and the most natural snatch of the ball of anyone in the game. As for someone who gets open? Nobody can cover Marquise Brown, nor Isabella. Neither have the length or hand size, but both are explosive. They will obviously go lower than 12th.

Sometimes you don't see a comp in each draft. Nobody is Leighton VanderEsch. The size, speed, agility and production. It simply isn't there. Some guys are just really unique. When those freaks are available, you have to jump on them. Some thought I was crazy to pick LVE in my own draft last year, but he is the future of linebacker in the NFL. Guys like OBJ and LVE or Julio just don't pop up every year.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
MadDog what is your assessment of Chase Winovich? There are a lot of people here who like the idea of a QW + Winovich first two rounds. Would you be happy with that?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the effort you put into this stuff.

A bit too rich for me at 36. I'd love him in the third, but he probably won't drop that far. Maybe the team trades down in the second, or trades their third to jump back into the late second round. The back end of the second is where I think a LOT of teams will be sitting on him.

I do like Chase, and grade him even over Gary. Just a productive, hair on fire guy. Doesn't have the elite physical traits, but gets the job done. Looking forward to seeing what he can do at the next level.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 14, 2019 at 3:18 AM ]
Originally posted by thedudelebowski:
Thanks MadDog for this. Always look forward to your post this time of the year. What are you thoughts on Irv Smith Jr. He was considered pretty close to the other two TEs that are on your big board. Is he going to be available in 3rd round (unlikely)?

I like his tape as a solid all-around college TE. Likes to block, has the ability to find open seams in the middle of the field. Seems to have a strong football IQ. Winner. Here is the catch. His testing was really weak for a guy considered a top-tier TE, and is short, with short arms and short wingspan. He would be an outlier (if you look at the historial metrics) to have a chance as a starting NFL TE. I think he is going to slide to the back end of the third round for all those reasons.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I have 25 guys graded as first rounders. The split is between Abram and Ford.

Dillard is the only stud LT in this draft class. Impeccable pass protection, and good enough run blocking. He is the perfect modern LT for the NFL. OL who run fast shuttle times are more likely succeed at the next level, and Dillard was faster than the rest. Very low bust potential in my mind, and a definite trade down option if the team gets a deal too good to pass. He is going to anchor the left side for the next decade.

Really, you don't have a 1st round grade for Greedy or any other CB besides Murphy?

Nope. Down year.

This RB class is a nightmare to evaluate.

Skip it lol, we won't draft any.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Skip it lol, we won't draft any.

Painful, although I will say that I am a big fan of Boise St. RB Alexander Mattison as a value Day Three Pick. There is a LOT to like in this kid.
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by NCommand:
For now, here is my Best Board of the top 50 players in the draft for me.

I am hoping that AJ Brown of Hakeem Butler is at 36. That would be a fairly realistic best case scenario. My personal draft would more than likely have:
Round 1. Bosa
Round 2. AJ Brown or Butler
Round 3. The best safety on the board

I'd be so fn pumped if this happened. Think there are pretty decent odds it could too. Good work md

Me too and the odds are good. What about deebo at 36? He has great hands great high pointing ability and great yards after the catch.
Great as always!!!
A lot of the talking heads have moved QW above Bosa ? What do you see that puts Bosa at #1 or is it that somebody has to be at #1 and so more of 1A & 1B ?
[ Edited by Sourball on Apr 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone