Don't hate the post above but don't agree on a few things. You forgot Mullens, he's another addition to the class.
I think Street was a 4th rounder which is why I hated the pick, wouldn't have minded it in the 5th or later.
There is no point target specific positions after the 4th round, you have to expect that they are probably going to be depth or maybe not even make the squad. For me you just grab good players you hope can stick, just make sure they can either play Special Teams or have a special trait that might make them a Boom or bust guy.
There are 566 users in the forums
BPA vs. Need vs. Value
Browse 49ers books and videos
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM
- 49erBigMac
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,056
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:You can get an overall flavour of position strengths in an upcoming class, we know next years WR class is very good, and last years QB class was going to be.
Take this year's edge class, it's very good, but what if you're the Chiefs? You need one but you pick #29, Polite goesin the off-season, and all the other good ones go ahead of you?
I mean that's just bad luck, but imagine if they decided to pass on one last year thinking they would get one this year?
You just can't rely on that when making decisions, the only thing I'd say is the stronger a class is next year, the more likely I would be to accept a future draft pick in a trade.
Yeah the chiefs would definitely be screwed if they waited till this year to get an edge rusher in the draft picking at the 29th pick. But overall the bulk of an NFL teams players comes from outside of the first round. There is enough edge rushers this year to where there are some promising ones that will make it to the 2nd round. My thinking is that Best Player Available philosophy has to somehow take into account the uniqueness of each years draft class, at least after the first round. By the 2nd round - there is still talent but it isn't cut and dried like a Bosa.
You have (your top 50 players list) winovich and Gary (De's) going in the 2nd round. I would think if I was KC, looking at that - I can let Dee Ford go because I can get either one of these guys in the second round to replace Dee Ford. In other words, by looking ahead you can deal with free agency and make wierd moves like letting a top edge rusher in Dee Ford go, because you know he can be replaced?
Apr 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
There were so many holes last year - pretty much every position had a need. They could have kept Trent, but I do agree he didn't fit Kyle's system. I'm thinking because they knew that this years edge rusher class was stronger, they took advantage of last years stronger offensive lineman class and picked an O Lineman, knowing this year had a stronger edge rusher class, and decided to pass on Landry, and pick an edge rusher from this years class.Originally posted by Izyniner:Originally posted by Giedi:Still reading, and I get that you pick Trey Down if you dont have the available tier players, but how do you factor in multiple draft years- for example, last year was a weak edge rusher draft, this year was stronger, so instead of picking a tier one - Landry, they pick tier one McGlinchy?
Prolly because in there point of view last year rt tackle was as high if not higher priority than edge since they viewed Trent brown as not being a fit. Mcglinchy was the higher rated player at a higher position of need.
I'm just trying to see it from Shanazlynch's point of view - specially when they keep saying they want to build the bulk of the team from the draft vs doing the free agency binge and purge approach.
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:04 PM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by Waterbear:I'm with you on this. You have to look ahead or you're not planning correctly. In fact I'm planning on making a new thread about it to see who are the elite prospects for next year.
A lot of people who are good at understanding talent still don't understand this idea. They see the draft as how can you make your team the best each year and that is not the best way to draft IMO. This is a bad defensive back class so I wouldnt reach for one this year.
Yeah, I'm trying to understand that concept too, about reach. First I thought it was just making a bad decision and picking a player that just busts at his position. I.e a Jim Drunkenmiller, but reach is something regarding - it's ok to pick a Jim druneknmiller in the 5th round but not the first round. So a Jim Drunkenmiller is not a bust if picked in the 5th round vs the 1st round. Geeze this stuff is complicated.
Apr 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM
- 49erBigMac
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,056
Originally posted by Giedi:Originally posted by Waterbear:I'm with you on this. You have to look ahead or you're not planning correctly. In fact I'm planning on making a new thread about it to see who are the elite prospects for next year.
A lot of people who are good at understanding talent still don't understand this idea. They see the draft as how can you make your team the best each year and that is not the best way to draft IMO. This is a bad defensive back class so I wouldnt reach for one this year.
Yeah, I'm trying to understand that concept too, about reach. First I thought it was just making a bad decision and picking a player that just busts at his position. I.e a Jim Drunkenmiller, but reach is something regarding - it's ok to pick a Jim druneknmiller in the 5th round but not the first round. So a Jim Drunkenmiller is not a bust if picked in the 5th round vs the 1st round. Geeze this stuff is complicated.![]()
![]()
You've got it, Solomon is a prime example, he isn't a reach because he was widely regarded as a top 5 pick, but he's still a bust (to this point).
Colbert has already outperformed his draft slot so can't really be seen as a bust.
in the off-season, and all the other good ones go ahead of you?