There are 226 users in the forums

Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
For sure. If he weighs in around 250 at the combine, I'd be fine taking him at 2. IMO, 250+ Burns is not a big step down from Bosa.

He will have to prove he still has it at 250. Not just a matter of him stepping on a scale and it being a wrap.
Originally posted by okdkid:
For sure. If he weighs in around 250 at the combine, I'd be fine taking him at 2. IMO, 250+ Burns is not a big step down from Bosa.

He will have to prove he still has it at 250. Not just a matter of him stepping on a scale and it being a wrap.

For sure. I think his weigh-in is the first hurdle. If is weight checks out, his 3 cone, ten yard split, vert/broad jumps, and drill work will be big. He doesn't have to test like a freak, he just has to show he didn't lose the athleticism you see on tape.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I've not finished Burns but I have some reservations, the same concerns I have with Ferrell.

I love that both have multiple moves and work a tackle hard, but I don't think the athleticism is enough to get NFL tackles to get out of their comfort zone, which will make the moves less effective.

I think Burns is more athletic than Ferrell, but Ferrell's play strength is better.

I still think Polite is better than both for this reason.

You may be getting thrown off by his height. Dude is very athletic but it may not look as fluid as the smaller guy like Polite.

I'm interested in seeing how explosive he is at the combine. I think in short ranges, he's very fluid. But I wonder if his length and long stride are masking a slower twitch or if he's got fast twitch too.

Yes he will but fact is his strength isn't purely speed based so I'm not super worried about him suddenly putting on 15-20 lbs and losing what made him great. If Josh Allen can put on weight and get faster so can Burns. Certainly once he gets into the NFL he can beef up the proper way.

Kid is super young and very nuanced as a pass rusher. If he shows up around 250 and doesn't somehow look slow as molases in the drills then I'd rather have Burns at #2 over Josh Allen as IMO what each guy has shown in college translates better for Burns. Which is why I was bummed out Allen bailed on the senior bowl because he could've answered a lot of questions about his projections to the NFL in those drills.

The way I see it Bosa is the pick if he's there. If he's not and we're not trading down and going edge it's Burns or Allen.

Allen's biggest opportunity to improve his stock or prove himself worth #2 overall was the Senior bowl.
Burns' biggest opportunity to improve his stock and prove himself worth #2 overall is the combine.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

For sure. I think his weigh-in is the first hurdle. If is weight checks out, his 3 cone, ten yard split, vert/broad jumps, and drill work will be big. He doesn't have to test like a freak, he just has to show he didn't lose the athleticism you see on tape.

Agreed. Though not sure about a jump to #2 as some have suggested. He will have made the jump up in weight, but wouldn't have put anything on tape at that weight. Plus, trade ups for QBs are likely.

Agreed. Though not sure about a jump to #2 as some have suggested. He will have made the jump up in weight, but wouldn't have put anything on tape at that weight. Plus, trade ups for QBs are likely.

IMO, what he put on tape improves with the added weight, because he'd have more power behind those already super-effective gogo Gadget arms. 3 cone will show if the bend is still there, 10 yard split and jumps will show explosion, drills will show coordination between lower and upper body, as well as strike timing.

His film is awesome. Weight is literally the only question on him, and he has a great opportunity to answer that at the combine.
Unless we trade down, I do not see a realistic scenario where we take this guy in the first. Really unfortunate because he is clearly as good as Bosa.
Originally posted by Dman11:
Unless we trade down, I do not see a realistic scenario where we take this guy in the first. Really unfortunate because he is clearly as good as Bosa.

I wouldn't give any extremes at this point. Lots of things change from now until draft time.

I believe this time a couple of years ago Wentz was still considered an under the radar day 2 pick. Then senior bowl happened and combine happened and his draft stock shot up to #2 overall.

Burns is a pass rusher, lots of teams looking at pass rushers picking early in the draft. Arizona holds the key to everything but I can certainly see him climb up as edge2.
I wouldn't give any extremes at this point. Lots of things change from now until draft time.

I believe this time a couple of years ago Wentz was still considered an under the radar day 2 pick. Then senior bowl happened and combine happened and his draft stock shot up to #2 overall.

Burns is a pass rusher, lots of teams looking at pass rushers picking early in the draft. Arizona holds the key to everything but I can certainly see him climb up as edge2.

I see him as edge 2 already, but I do think that his weight will scare teams away even if he comes in at 240.

Wentz was already up there, it just took the draftnik community and the Mel Kipers of the world time to catch up with what NFL scouts were already on to.

My guess is that NFL scouts have Burns closer to being a Top 10 pick than most of draftnik world.

There's definitely a lot of similarities to Aldon. Maybe not the weight but the hands and closing burns that Aldon had are on display. IMO Burns may have the best pass rush potential out of this class.

If he can answer questions about his weight at the combine while still putting up impressive numbers in the workouts showing his athletic ability is still there with the weight if Bosa is gone I have no issues using #2 on this kid.
That bend is nice, but the speed in which he closed the distance to the quarterback is what really caught my eye.
👀

Originally posted by Heroism:
👀

Yes he will but fact is his strength isn't purely speed based so I'm not super worried about him suddenly putting on 15-20 lbs and losing what made him great. If Josh Allen can put on weight and get faster so can Burns. Certainly once he gets into the NFL he can beef up the proper way.

Kid is super young and very nuanced as a pass rusher. If he shows up around 250 and doesn't somehow look slow as molases in the drills then I'd rather have Burns at #2 over Josh Allen as IMO what each guy has shown in college translates better for Burns. Which is why I was bummed out Allen bailed on the senior bowl because he could've answered a lot of questions about his projections to the NFL in those drills.

The way I see it Bosa is the pick if he's there. If he's not and we're not trading down and going edge it's Burns or Allen.

Allen's biggest opportunity to improve his stock or prove himself worth #2 overall was the Senior bowl.
Burns' biggest opportunity to improve his stock and prove himself worth #2 overall is the combine.

About your comment saying if Allen can put on that good weight , then Burns can too. Not that simple. Is it physically possible? Sure. Does he have that obsession to do it? Who knows. He hasn't yet. He's put on some muscle for sure but nothing to the extent that Allen has.

Giannis has put on a ton of muscle since joining the nba . Doesn't mean his brother or Brandon Ingram or other skinny players will do the same. The amount of work him and Allen did over the years to put on that weight is understated.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Heroism:
👀

I need to buy larger pants. These ones are too tight.
Share 49ersWebzone