LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan

Originally posted by babarvaart:
will be long gone by pick 32.

Or by pick 3.
The more edge rushers in next year's class the better.

Not sure if we're ready to make the playoffs next year with the tough schedule and still what looks like some missing pieces so I'm thinking we're picking in the late teens to mid 20s.

Bosa, Gary, Clelin Ferrell, Joe Jackson, Josh Allen, Montez Sweat and I'm sure someone from Bama will show up as well like they typically do.

That's not even bringing up the stud DT talent available as well.
"Michigan Football: Why Rashan Gary could go No. 1 in 2019 NFL Draft"

by Chris Peterson3d ago

"Yet, his ability to rush inside, as well as outside, is another asset. His production will need to increase. Gary will also need to start showing up more in big games, when the lights are shining brightest. He did that against Ohio State last season, getting two sacks and three tackles for loss."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gbmwolverine.com/2018/05/04/michigan-football-rashan-gary-no-1-pick-2019-nfl-draft/amp/

Biased?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Lol. Wishful thinking but in year two of the rebuild, we should be picking 9-15 in our 3rd draft. We still have a lot of holes and if some could be filled with surprise performances, hoping. We are a 7-9 win game team, we could afford to do so if players step up?

Why not start going for quality in year 3 of the rebuild?

Have to question his character though... I mean dude CHOSE to go to Michigan. That certainly is a red flag

#GoIrish
Originally posted by evil:
Lol. Wishful thinking but in year two of the rebuild, we should be picking 9-15 in our 3rd draft. We still have a lot of holes and if some could be filled with surprise performances, hoping. We are a 7-9 win game team, we could afford to do so if players step up?

Have to question his character though... I mean dude CHOSE to go to Michigan. That certainly is a red flag

#GoIrish

Haha!!!

We will see on 9/1/18 buddy.

Michigan has a Qb now.. Watch out 👀..

Harbaugh might not just get one, he might just win multiple championships before he comes back to the nfl and start dominating again

#Goblue

"Michigan DL Rashan Gary is nearly as quick as the Wolverines' fastest DB's"
https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/16/michigan-dl-rashan-gary-is-nearly-as-quick-as-the-wolverines-fastest-dbs/amp/

Especially if Harbaugh keeps recruiting like this..
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on May 8, 2018 at 4:15 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
At 281lbs with 4.5 speed you can make him out to whatever you want to be. ????

You can't teach that size nor speed, that combination is factory made. That's freak material.

His primary position is Edge though, he will tell you that, going into his junior year.

This is his breakout year.. Watch out..

Michigan will have the #1 defense again this year, that's like 3 years in a row and with Shea Patterson eligibility at Qb, Instant National title contenders. All we needed was a Qb with that #1 defense.

"287-Pound Michigan Sophomore Rashan Gary Ran a 4.57 40-Yard Dash"
http://www.stack.com/a/287-pound-michigan-sophomore-rashan-gary-ran-a-4-57-40-yard-dash

"For a 6-foot-5, 287-pound defensive lineman, Gary is unbelievably athletic. At Michigan's recent "Spring Combine," he posted some startling numbers. Perhaps most impressive were his 4.57 40-Yard Dash and 6.70 L-Drill time."

"At the 2017 NFL Combine, only one defensive lineman ran better than a 4.57 40. That was Temple's Haason Reddick, who weighs 50 pounds less than Gary. His L-Drill time was even more absurd. It would've tied for seventh-best among all players at the 2017 NFL Combine. Guys pushing three bills aren't supposed to be that nimble."

He is a freak.

I'm sure he's a great athlete but that # won't hold. Those college combines are a joke. Not that he'll be around by our pick.

I mean Kentavius Streets had a electronic 4.58 40; verticals 40 inches & squatted 700 lbs and he's 6-2 283...we got some "bigger" guys that are physical freaks on that DL already.

We need that speed around the edge, someone who can bend. Gary is a stud no doubt (and won't be there when we pick) but I think we need more quick-twitch/bend at LEO.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 9, 2018 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean Kentavius Streets had a electronic 4.58 40; verticals 40 inches & squatted 700 lbs and he's 6-2 283...we got some "bigger" guys that are physical freaks on that DL already.

We need that speed around the edge, someone who can bend. Gary is a stud no doubt (and won't be there when we pick) but I think we need more quick-twitch/blend at LEO.

Agreed. Nothing against Gary but we need an Avril, Ngakae, Fowler type.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We need that speed around the edge, someone who can bend. Gary is a stud no doubt (and won't be there when we pick) but I think we need more quick-twitch/blend at LEO.

Agreed. Nothing against Gary but we need an Avril, Ngakae, Fowler type.

Yup, man if Streets comes back 100% we might have a gem with that kid. I'd love if SF was able to trade for Ray or Fowler. I saw a report that a couple teams contacted Avril (wouldn't be shocked if one was SF).

Looks like there's some good edge guys in the upcoming draft as well.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Gary belongs under the 3-4 scheme...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:

#GoIrish

Haha!!!

We will see on 9/1/18 buddy.

Michigan has a Qb now.. Watch out 👀..

Harbaugh might not just get one, he might just win multiple championships before he comes back to the nfl and start dominating again

#Goblue

"Michigan DL Rashan Gary is nearly as quick as the Wolverines' fastest DB's"
https://www.google.com/amp/collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/16/michigan-dl-rashan-gary-is-nearly-as-quick-as-the-wolverines-fastest-dbs/amp/

Especially if Harbaugh keeps recruiting like this..

We have Coach Kelly still, so we will probably lose

Originally posted by 9moon:
Gary belongs under the 3-4 scheme...

Nah

"I know [Georgia runs] a 3-4 defense, and I don't know how good that would be for my son. In that three-person line, their job is to hold the offensive line so the linebackers can come in to make the tackle. Well, how is Rashan supposed to shine in a 3-4? A 4-3 defense is what I prefer. It's OK for him to play in a 3-4, only if they rotate in a 4-3. I just don't see how playing in a 3-4 defense would benefit him."

"Rashan is versatile enough to do pretty much anything he wants along the defensive line, whether you're talking about a 3-4 scheme or a 4-3 scheme," Hunt said. "He can play 3-technique or 5-technique, like the kind of big defensive ends Florida State likes."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2535026-what-scheme-is-best-fit-for-2016-no-1-overall-recruit-rashan-gary.amp.html

In Don Browns #1 defense they play a little bit of both but 4-3 is best suited for him. Mama knows best

This is a different animal. He can do it all...
"I love a defense that plays both schemes," he told Kipp Adams of 247Sports.

"While most would love the thought of him setting the edge in a three-man front, Gary's greatest ceiling resides at 3-technique in a 4-3 scheme. It's the position that can best showcase his tremendous blend of attributes."

"Shaded to the offensive guard's outside shoulder, Gary would be asked to eviscerate the B-gap and get into the backfield. Given his elite footwork and rare quick-trigger athleticism at that size, he is essentially tailor-made for the position."
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on May 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM ]
Nah

"I know [Georgia runs] a 3-4 defense, and I don't know how good that would be for my son. In that three-person line, their job is to hold the offensive line so the linebackers can come in to make the tackle. Well, how is Rashan supposed to shine in a 3-4? A 4-3 defense is what I prefer. It's OK for him to play in a 3-4, only if they rotate in a 4-3. I just don't see how playing in a 3-4 defense would benefit him."

"Rashan is versatile enough to do pretty much anything he wants along the defensive line, whether you're talking about a 3-4 scheme or a 4-3 scheme," Hunt said. "He can play 3-technique or 5-technique, like the kind of big defensive ends Florida State likes."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2535026-what-scheme-is-best-fit-for-2016-no-1-overall-recruit-rashan-gary.amp.html

In Don Browns #1 defense they play a little bit of both but 4-3 is best suited for him. Mama knows best

"While most would love the thought of him setting the edge in a three-man front, Gary's greatest ceiling resides at 3-technique in a 4-3 scheme. It's the position that can best showcase his tremendous blend of attributes."

"Shaded to the offensive guard's outside shoulder, Gary would be asked to eviscerate the B-gap and get into the backfield. Given his elite footwork and rare quick-trigger athleticism at that size, he is essentially tailor-made for the position."

We got a great full time 3 tech in Buckner and another guy who in passing situations you want inside.

Unless Solly makes tremendous strides at Leo I'm thinking he's going to be moved to 5 tech long term. I like Gary but the like that write up said he's another big end like Solly, Buckner, AA. We need edge guys.
Nah

We got a great full time 3 tech in Buckner and another guy who in passing situations you want inside.

Unless Solly makes tremendous strides at Leo I'm thinking he's going to be moved to 5 tech long term. I like Gary but the like that write up said he's another big end like Solly, Buckner, AA. We need edge guys.

The freshman article also states he can play 3 or 5 tech... Which he has at Michigan You don't find 280lbs moving like 200lbs and almost running with the db's very often.

I'm sorry but we are talking about a Clowny type player no disrespect to Solly or Buckner lol.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on May 10, 2018 at 12:55 PM ]
"Walter Camp Football's way-too-early mock draft has Gary going No. 5. CBSSports.com has him at No. 12, while NFL Draft Blaster has Gary going No. 1. Another season at Michigan isn't going to raise his value much higher."

"Watch, enjoy, savor every moment Rashan Gary is playing for Michigan"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-football-nfl-draft-2019-rashan-gary-declare-early/amp

It's going to be a helleva year for that top ranked defense.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on May 19, 2018 at 9:27 AM ]
i hope we draft 5 leo's next year
Share 49ersWebzone