There are 251 users in the forums

GRADING THE DRAFT: A Head Scratcher !!!

• 9moon
  • Veteran
1) OT - Mike McGlinchey - The Roq was taken so this had to be the pick.
Though I fullly believed that we could have traded down and still land him,
there's really nothing to complain about since he can be a solid at the position
for the next 10 years.

Grade: A

2) WR - Dante Pettis - A mixture between the speedster Goodwin and the quickster Taylor
and it's the reason why I don't get this pick. After moving up to this spot
you almost wanna believe that we are targeting a possible #1WR, or better
yet, another CB or a pass rusher. Personally, I think we did not need to
trade up to land this guy.
Grade: C
3) LB - Fred Warner - We hit the bullseye on this guy. His motor will be running 110 miles per hour
for all 4 quarters. When all said and done, he will be the face of this draft class
for the 49ers.

3) FS - Tarvarius Moore - The guy is a PURE football player. He knows the game, and Lynch loves him
because he's very physical. The team projects him as a CB, so if he can learn and
play this position once Sherman is ready to walk away, then we just found a
Diamond in the Rough.

Grade: C+

4) DT - Kentavius Street - A junkyard type of player. The kid got drafted because of he's got that
" I Want It" in him.. I watched NCST 3x last year, and this guy is just hungry.
Tho considered a damaged good, he's a poor man's Solomon Thomas.

5) CB - DJ Reed - He will compete for the Nickel Back position, but we just drafted one in Tarvarius
as he learns how to play corner. We could have used this pick to draft a pass rusher
who had fallen this far.

6) SS - Marcell Harrs - I don't care who or which GM you are, when you draft a player who was hurt
the year before, it only means that you are in love with his talent. Special Team As
I hope??

Grade: C-

7) DT - Jullian Taylor - Another DT?? Is this guy just a "placeholder" or are they serious about what
talent or promised seen? Did we not need a DE???

Grade: D

7) WR - Richie James - And yet, another slot receiver. Behold Camelot !!! Dawn of a New Offense is
coming !! Are we really going to see the innauguration of Shanahan's 4 Set of
Dimunative WRs?? aka MOUSEKEETERS???

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 29, 2018 at 12:31 PM ]
Only thing i would change:

Pettis B
James C-
I wouldn't say the overall draft was a D grade, but it's not much better IMO. Some good but not great players (McGlinchey, Pettis, Warner), couple of great athletes but maybe not ideal position fits (Pettis and Moore), redundant picks (Reed, Harris, James and Taylor), and a couple of injured picks (Street and Harris). Disappointing weekend overall.
Pretty darn good, Moon. So we got Kentavius who is damaged and is OOA (out of action) this yr, and Marcell Harris who WAS damaged last yr. Is he 100%? Will he hold up? Can we count on him "being there" or are Kentavius and Marcell just the start of our Shanahan/lynch 24 man IR ...in the new regimen? Quite frankly i hope not. Surely they knew of our frustrations with a 4 yr avg IR list of 21 guys, give or take a few either direction. And...none of us liked that. As time went on, it just grew like an ugly unwanted tumor. We had 2 dozen guys, yr after yr...sitting on their proverbial butz. What that rmorphed into was all this POTENTIAL talent we had accruing butt splinters. Virtually few if any ended up coming back and contributing. It is a great way i can think of to demoralize a team...and its fans. Ultimately drafts were based on potential injured players we had on IR, when in fact, they did squat. It isn't the way you build a team, although i got the initial idea which was to stockpile guys who were injured, but were great talents. In the end, it was just a bunch of guys who couldn't contribute. Strange how Shanalyn would want to start out that way in yr 2.

Re: grades, like miked above i would give Pettis a B. What i do think is that after Warner and Tarvarius Moore, we would have been better off trading all our remaining picks for picks next yr. Frankly one guy after Tarvarius , our 2nd pick in rd 3, we could just as easily traded all the remainder for picks in 2019. I think we may very well have come out better.

It is way too early to grade picks in rd 4 on down. But the first 4 picks rds 1–3 looked excellent. That is bad news for a team projected to be picking late every yr from now on in the Garoppolo era. Those are the picks we have to nail. Starting off like this? Ummm....let's just say many hoped it would be better. The little man WR squad...fine, but show me. Show us. Kinda hard to understand these picks other than , well, they were not supposed to be chuck full of talent. It seemed we put a premium on short WRs when we have a glaring need for that long armed , 6'3" exceptional leader with great hands, RZWR. Didn't see many guys like that get picked by us. Ok, that is a very rare individual, but still....

Excellent grade on rds 1-3, no grade on rds 4 and on. If they do something, then worth grading. And starting an all ACL team...wow, that was a surprise.

No OGs must mean that between Garnett, Magnus, Beadles (shiver), Laken and cooper, the F.O feels we can protect our QB. Let's hope so, but if they miscalculated, they are going to be in for some serious well deserved bad PR.
all go a head and give this draft class over all grade a "B" Good work moon !!!!!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL.

There are a lot of really funny comments and tidbits in here. That is my first impression from your post............

Feel free to share us your intelligence..
You forgot to mention our 2nd round pick spent on Jimmy Garoppolo. Grade: ?
Originally posted by 9moon:
LOL.

There are a lot of really funny comments and tidbits in here. That is my first impression from your post............

When SanDiego, of all posters, is roasting you, you've done messed up.
[ Edited by 21SandersMoss84 on Apr 29, 2018 at 10:46 AM ]
LOL.

To clarify I was NOT personally attacking you at all. I will get back to you with some analysis. I'm super busy at the moment and don't have time. But I will come back to this thread later if I can.

It's just some of the comments and the way you said them really cracked me up. It made me laugh. I thought it was funny. I'm not saying I disagree with all of them BTW. I'm just saying it was fun and very funny. It was great post. A classic post I think. I will get back to you on the details of how I see it. But I wanted to say that first. I have nothing against you or the post. I just found it really funny. Does that make sense?.....

I understand the top half of the draft, and am ok with it, but the forth round only one seemed okay, thought they could have done better.

OT - Mike McGlinchey-pass protection may have dipped for now (nothing some good coaching can't redeem, not to mention how way better QB play can make an OL look good), but the run game just doubled up on that side of the line, plus younger and cheaper.

WR - Dante Pettis- I think this is a good pick. He can play all three wide wr positions. Including Garcon's-he just needs to bulk up, which he probably will. Height wise he is a tad bigger than Garcon. So this pick is for the future as well as now. Those who think he is only made for the slot and not outside or has a no chance at being a #1 wr might be mistaken. The good about this pick is that it covers us in the event any of the three go down, Jimmy will still have weapons at all three positions. The icing on the cake is ST. Will always have the chance to break the big one and field position will only make our defense and offense more efficient. Not mention it shows the guy has great yards after the catch ability. The difference between him and Trent, he can go deep from the slot. Imagine in certain schemes, all four wr lining up? Who do your DB matchup against. He can the top off. Although he didn't run a 40 this year-last year he clocked in at 4.39, that was hand time so 4.43 is probably more realistic, but being a year later and if he did train for the combine like many candidates do, there is no doubt he would have run in the 4.3+ and this would have soared his stock like his team mate last year. When it comes to WR, RB, and QBs, I believe Kyle knows what he wants and has a good eye.

ILB Warner - We needed a LB because of the uncertainty of Foster. If Foster comes back we will have a hell of a front seven and great pair of LBs. More importantly he is a 3 down player that won't need to be taken off the field. I like this pick

FS - Tarvarius Moore - If Sherman is healthy, no way a CB coming in is starting unless you believe Witherspoon will tank this year. So he will be coached up till we need him. Plus our DB coach did a great job with our rookies last year. This guy has everything you want in an outside corner for us. 6-2, 33+ length, and the guy can fly at 4.32. Also, if he doesn't work out at CB-I would think he would be great as our FS. Negatives of course is only one full season as a starter. Yet he managed 5 interceptions in 2 seasons at the divsion 1 level. So I like this pick

DT - Kentavius Street - This one I know people are screaming thinking TB. My guess is that not all draft picks is gonna stick, so they are doing the stash of a talent. This is more a Arik replacement hedge. If he isn't on the main roster at the get go- then he belongs to the niners for technically 4 years and not 3, plus the option if the niners keep him and turns into a solid player. The talent is there, he just needs to recover and that lies the gamble. For me I am on the fence about this pick.

CB - DJ Reed 7 int in 2 years of Div 1 play, he looks smooth. Replacement for K'waun in the future? Isn't Kwuan going to be with us until 2019 season? is he just a backup plan/depth? Ward can serve in a pinch. So this was a head scratch for me. Good player for the round, but not something I thought the niners need, unless he beats out Kwuan.

The rest rest of the picks I don't see it. Hope the niners saw something. Right now as an arm chair fan, I can only say WTF!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Moore, we would have been better off trading all our remaining picks for picks next yr. Frankly one guy after Tarvarius , our 2nd pick in rd 3, we could just as easily traded all the remainder for picks in 2019. I think we may very well have come out better.

It is way too early to grade picks in rd 4 on down. But the first 4 picks rds 1–3 looked excellent. That is bad news for a team projected to be picking late every yr from now on in the Garoppolo era. Those are the picks we have to nail. Starting off like this? Ummm....let's just say many hoped it would be better. The little man WR squad...fine, but show me. Show us. Kinda hard to understand these picks other than , well, they were not supposed to be chuck full of talent. It seemed we put a premium on short WRs when we have a glaring need for that long armed , 6'3" exceptional leader with great hands, RZWR. Didn't see many guys like that get picked by us. Ok, that is a very rare individual, but still....

No OGs must mean that between Garnett, Magnus, Beadles (shiver), Laken and cooper, the F.O feels we can protect our QB. Let's hope so, but if they miscalculated, they are going to be in for some serious well deserved bad PR.
I can understand not drafting OG, if the players in the draft are not better or don't have the potential to be better than what you have then might as well draft elsewhere. I guess there were no Trent Browns at guard in the 6th and 7th rounds.

As for wr-redskins smurfs did alright, haha. That is another thing I had hope they would go and do is find a big quick wr if they are going to just toss around the later picks.

It would be interesting to say the least if the niners traded those 5th to 7th picks for picks next year that are a round higher which would be a 4th, 5th, and two 6th.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
LOL.

To clarify I was NOT personally attacking you at all. I will get back to you with some analysis. I'm super busy at the moment and don't have time. But I will come back to this thread later if I can.

It's just some of the comments and the way you said them really cracked me up. It made me laugh. I thought it was funny. I'm not saying I disagree with all of them BTW. I'm just saying it was fun and very funny. It was great post. A classic post I think. I will get back to you on the details of how I see it. But I wanted to say that first. I have nothing against you or the post. I just found it really funny. Does that make sense?.....

I was not attacking you neither..

I purposely post my response to you that way so you too would be thrown off the curve by such comment.

no harm no foul..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
You forgot to mention our 2nd round pick spent on Jimmy Garoppolo. Grade: ?

A++ for the trade, that's a given..

But I can't include him as part of this draft for the obvious reason that he wasn't drafted this year..
1) OT - Mike McGlinchey - The Roq was taken so this had to be the pick.
Though I fullly believed that we could have traded down and still land him,
there's really nothing to complain about since he can be a solid at the position
for the next 10 years.

2) WR - Dante Pettis - A mixture between the speedster Goodwin and the quickster Taylor
and it's the reason why I don't get this pick. After moving up to this spot
you almost wanna believe that we are targeting a possible #1WR, or better
yet, another CB or a pass rusher. Personally, I think we did not need to
trade up to land this guy.
3) LB - Fred Warner - We hit the bullseye on this guy. His motor will be running 110 miles per hour
for all 4 quarters. When all said and done, he will be the face of this draft class
for the 49ers.

3) FS - Tarvarius Moore - The guy is a PURE football player. He knows the game, and Lynch loves him
because he's very physical. The team projects him as a CB, so if he can learn and
play this position once Sherman is ready to walk away, then we just found a
Diamond in the Rough.

Grade: C+

4) DT - Kentavius Street - A junkyard type of player. The kid got drafted because of he's got that
" I Want It" in him.. I watched NCST 3x last year, and this guy is just hungry.
Tho considered a damaged good, he's a poor man's Solomon Thomas.

5) CB - DJ Reed - He will compete for the Nickel Back position, but we just drafted one in Tarvarius
as he learns how to play corner. We could have used this pick to draft a pass rusher
who had fallen this far.

6) SS - Marcell Harrs - I don't care who or which GM you are, when you draft a player who was hurt
the year before, it only means that you are in love with his talent. Special Team As
I hope??

Grade: C-

7) DT - Jullian Taylor - Another DT?? Is this guy just a "placeholder" or are they serious about what
talent or promised seen? Did we not need a DE???

7) WR - Richie James - And yet, another slot receiver. Behold Camelot !!! Dawn of a New Offense is
coming !! Are we really going to see the innauguration of Shanahan's 4 Set of
Dimunative WRs?? aka MOUSEKEETERS???

OK good post 9moon. There are some truth bombs in here and it's just how you said some of it which was funny I think. I got a kick out of it. It was very honest and from the emotions and heart. But I get where you are going with a lot of these. It's a good post. My take on these at least very early and very preliminary is the following. First it is way too early to judge. But if we did just days after this thing happened I would think this. Any and all of which can be subject to change with a larger sample size.

1) Mcglinchey - My initial reaction was I didn't like this pick. Because I feel it was a reach for a need. But upon further review I would say we did have some very big issues at RT. Plus Joe Staley is getting older so maybe an eventual LT. We need young new talent on the O Line. There were some good players on the board we passed on at other positions of need. Given this was the most technically sound Tackle in perhaps a weak Tackle class and the most ready to plug and play at a huge position of need I think the pick is fine. I hope he works out. But I doubt he will be a star. Maybe a real solid player which isn't the worst thing in the world to have.

A -

2) Pettis - From all accounts he is a good route runner, has excellent hands, and is a very top tier PR. An all world PR. I believe he benefited from John Ross opposite of him because his better year was last year and not this year. But I understand he was also battling injuries this year when he was the guy. The concerns are he is slight of build, injured a lot, and did not put up as good of numbers when John Ross was gone and the heat and best defenders came his way. I'm really not sure why this slight build guy who was injured was mandatory to trade up for? I think we could have gotten him later. We could have stayed put. We did not have to give up picks for this. But he has great hands and good routes and awesome special teams value.

C+

3) Fred Warner - A local San Diego kid from High School. They have been raving about him for years even when he was young. He is a real good athlete with speed and some rangy height and long arms. He covers really well at times almost like a DB and not like a LB. You would like to see more production perhaps in some categories. But I like the speed and ranginess and cover skills and overall athleticism. I think he is really fine for 3rd round. He may be a good player. We will see. But where he is picked is fine and I like the pick.

A -

3) Tavarious Moore - Size and extreme speed and athleticism and cover skills. He is just from a smaller program. But the pick here is fine I think. His upside is huge. I hope it works out. For where they picked him it's fine.

B

4) Street

C

5) Reed

C

6) Marcell Harris

C-

7) Taylor

D

7) James

D

I agree overall that there were a lot of DB's (we need some), small WR's (not a big fan of this) and no DE pass rush (this is a big issue and problem in this draft). Pass rushers are rare finds and you can't force it if it does not fall to you. But I feel it was a huge need and we did nothing about it. It's not so much the other things. It's the pass rush and failure to deal with that which bothers me most about this draft. Some other guys for depth and various positions are probably OK. I don't like the tendency towards the small WR's over and over in FA and the Draft. We need to get bigger there and have some big redzone targets. But mainly the lack of pass rush bothers me the most. Even if you want to play with small WR's. No pass rush will kill you in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone