LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 529 users in the forums

Late round quarterbacks

As we all know, we have found our franchise qb in Jimmy, but last season proved how valuable a back up quarterback is. I like Beathard and I think he will have a long career, whether its with us or with another team. But Shanahan loves competition and I have to think that Kyle is looking at some of the late round prospects to bring in for competition and development. Kyle Lauletta is probably the consensus for shanahan to pick cause he has the same traits that kyle shanahan qbs usually have. But besides him, who do you guys think kyle would consider bringing in whether its 6th, 7th round or undrafted? I, for one, like JT Barrett and think he could be a good developmental qb as a udfa or 7th round pick.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
As we all know, we have found our franchise qb in Jimmy, but last season proved how valuable a back up quarterback is. I like Beathard and I think he will have a long career, whether its with us or with another team. But Shanahan loves competition and I have to think that Kyle is looking at some of the late round prospects to bring in for competition and development. Kyle Lauletta is probably the consensus for shanahan to pick cause he has the same traits that kyle shanahan qbs usually have. But besides him, who do you guys think kyle would consider bringing in whether its 6th, 7th round or undrafted? I, for one, like JT Barrett and think he could be a good developmental qb as a udfa or 7th round pick.

JT Barrett is everything that Kyle is looking for in a quarterback. On Opposite Day.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
JT Barrett is everything that Kyle is looking for in a quarterback. On Opposite Day.

Yeah thats probably true, but I do like him and am personally rooting for him like I did with tyrod taylor back in the day.

If i had to pick another thats probably better for kyle, maybe ferguson??
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like Mike White 6'4" 225 pounds from Western Kentucky or Matt Linehan 6'3" 235 pounds from Idaho. I see Mike White as a 4th round pick and Matt Linehan anywhere from 3rd to 5th round pick. All could drop though, this is a pretty deep class for skill positions that could make QB's fall.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like Mike White 6'4" 225 pounds from Western Kentucky or Matt Linehan 6'3" 235 pounds from Idaho. I see Mike White as a 4th round pick and Matt Linehan anywhere from 3rd to 5th round pick. All could drop though, this is a pretty deep class for skill positions that could make QB's fall.

Linehan might go undrafted, let alone be a 3rd rounder. If the 49ers want him they'll be able to get him fairly late. I could see him being a legit option. A QB who ran a pro style offense in high school, played in an offense that employed numerous pro style concepts in college and has a dad who is a former NFL HC and current OC, could see the appeal for Kyle as a guy to stash on the PS and develop.
Chase Litton is an interesting prospect.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Linehan might go undrafted, let alone be a 3rd rounder. If the 49ers want him they'll be able to get him fairly late. I could see him being a legit option. A QB who ran a pro style offense in high school, played in an offense that employed numerous pro style concepts in college and has a dad who is a former NFL HC and current OC, could see the appeal for Kyle as a guy to stash on the PS and develop.

True Linehan could go undrafted after being a Combine snub. But the kid has everything you look for in a starting QB or even a back up, height, weight, arm strength, quick release, poise and coming from a Pro style offense. I think he goes higher than people expect him to, maybe not in rounds 1-3, but perhaps in the 4th or 5th rounds. After all, no one thought anything of CJ Beathard and I thought Cody Kessler would go much lower than the 3rd round. Seems like being in a Pro Style offense definitely puts you on the radar.
I'm still wondering about mullens- or what ever his name is- on the practice squad. He out of the loop?

White or Lauletta in the 4th round. Competition is always good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bitplayer:
I'm still wondering about mullens- or what ever his name is- on the practice squad. He out of the loop?
What I saw of him in pre-season last year, he's short and his arm isn't world class. He didn't see a linebacker and threw it right to him for an interception. Decent short to medium thrower, but I didn't see any long throws - which would have told me more about his arm strength. I don't think he makes this years squad if the 49ers draft a QB late in the 6th or 7th.

Originally posted by 9erred:
White or Lauletta in the 4th round. Competition is always good.

Lauletta will be long gone before the 4th, he's got some crazy hype, being talked about as an early 2nd rounder.
Another guy that I like a lot is Logan Woodside. He's a very patient passer with terrific accuracy, undersized but could have a steady career as a quality NFL backup.

Woodside is an undersized quarterback with a very average arm who overcomes his deficiencies with good football intelligence and above average accuracy. His lack of size will be an immediate turn-off for most teams, but his competitive nature and ability to throw it where he wants to could give him an outside shot of finding work for a West Coast offense that values his accuracy and decision-making.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-woodside?id=32462018-0002-5601-9613-f1771f9cf2cb

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/04/09/2018-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-toledo-logan-woodside-pff
I am pretty sure the Niners will not pick a QB until late on day 3 or at all in this draft. Definitely think they will get one as an UDFA. Another camp arm to compete with Mullens won't hurt. They did visit with the kid from Princeton and Linehan sounds like he's worth a look.
Another guy that I like a lot is Logan Woodside. He's a very patient passer with terrific accuracy, undersized but could have a steady career as a quality NFL backup.

Woodside is an undersized quarterback with a very average arm who overcomes his deficiencies with good football intelligence and above average accuracy. His lack of size will be an immediate turn-off for most teams, but his competitive nature and ability to throw it where he wants to could give him an outside shot of finding work for a West Coast offense that values his accuracy and decision-making.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-woodside?id=32462018-0002-5601-9613-f1771f9cf2cb

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/04/09/2018-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-toledo-logan-woodside-pff

sounds like a kyle qb. wouldn't mind him at all in the 7th or udfa.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I am pretty sure the Niners will not pick a QB until late on day 3 or at all in this draft. Definitely think they will get one as an UDFA. Another camp arm to compete with Mullens won't hurt. They did visit with the kid from Princeton and Linehan sounds like he's worth a look.

yeah i think we aren't thinking about taking a qb at all until day 3 or an udfa pickup. But since Kyle didn't pick up any vet qbs in FA it could mean that he is probably gonna pick up a young rookie or is very confident in CJ and mullens.
Share 49ersWebzone