LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Draft needs

To me, looking over our roster we have two glaring weaknesses.

LEO
SAM

We re-signed Cassius Marsh and signed Jeremiah Attachou but both guys are sub package, backup types.

As for SAM I just read an article that said we rushed our SAM backer 49% of the time which was far and away the most in the league and Harold only had 6 total pressures. It's clear as day he isn't the answer. We also need our SAM to be able to set the edge on rush downs.

I see two LEO's able to come in and start. Harold Landry and Ogbonnio Okoronkwo.

At SAM I see two ideal players as well. Lorenzo Carter and Josh Sweat. Both guys have un-tapped pass rush potential, sideline to sideline speed and the ability to set the edge vs TE's. Both guys take edge setting very seriously which is very important in this scheme.

I think we go LEO and SAM in rounds 1 and 2 and then look to add a Corner and possibly a RB, WR, S and OL depth later on.

Just a thought.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 4, 2018 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
To me, looking over our roster we have two glaring weaknesses.

LEO
SAM

We re-signed Cassius Marsh and signed Jeremiah Attachou but both guys are sub package, backup types.

As for SAM I just read an article that said we rushed our SAM backer 49% of the time which was far and away the most in the league and Harold only had 6 total pressures. It's clear as day he isn't the answer. We also need our SAM to be able to set the edge on rush downs.

I see two LEO's able to come in and start. Harold Landry and Ogbonnio Okoronkwo.

At SAM I see two ideal players as well. Lorenzo Carter and Josh Sweat. Both guys have un-tapped pass rush potential, sideline to sideline speed and the ability to set the edge vs TE's. Both guys take edge setting very seriously which is very important in this scheme.

I think we go LEO and SAM in rounds 1 and 2 and then look to add a Corner and possibly a RB, WR, S and OL depth later on.

Just a thought.
I think you may be on to something here. not just one ER but two--pressure from both sides to go with pressure up the middle we get now!
Well....they already have their SPAM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I get your epiphany, Steve - but do you have to start a whole new thread about it?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:57 AM ]
Guys like Hero said SAM is usually covering or setting edge
Share 49ersWebzone