LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Keys to winning our division.

Stop the run and contain their running backs. That's pretty much It.

LA has weak receivers and TE's but Gurley is a game changer.

Arizona has David Johnson.

Seattle has nothing at RB but Wilson is a major threat with his legs. We all know that Carrol wants to run the ball and I expect him to target a guy early. Derrius Guice would be a great fit for them.

None of the 3 teams we face are great passing teams but all of them have dominant running attacks and both Gurley and Johnson are devastating receivers as well.

With us being weak at LB and the Reuben Foster situation being unsettled I wonder if this makes us decide to take Roquan Smith at 9 and pass on guys like Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport, Denzel Ward and Tremaine Edmunds.

Roquan is truly an elite talent. He is arguably as dominant vs the pass as he is vs the run and his elite instincts would benefit us vs Seattle and Wilsons bootlegs and scrambles and would match up perfectly vs Gurley and Johnson when they run routes and screens.

Just a thought but if we want to beat LA and take this division we need to stop Gurley.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 28, 2018 at 6:31 AM ]
Also, I see a few pass rushers that can be had later like:

Kemoko Turay- Rutgers
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo- Oklahoma
Josh Sweat- Florida
Dorance Armstrong- Kansas

But I don't see a LB who can be had later that can do what Roquan Smith can do which is step in and start at MIKE or WILL for us and shut down Gurley, Johnson and Wilson.

Also, a duo of Reuben Foster and Roquan Smith would be absolutely devastating.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 28, 2018 at 6:39 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Also, I see a few pass rushers that can be had later like:

Kemoko Turay- Rutgers
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo- Oklahoma
Josh Sweat- Florida
Dorance Armstrong- Kansas

But I don't see a LB who can be had later that can do what Roquan Smith can do which is step in and start at MIKE or WILL for us and shut down Gurley, Johnson and Wilson.

Also, a duo of Reuben Foster and Roquan Smith would be absolutely devastating.

I don't disagree Roquan can be good. I just don't see him being a great MIKE. go watch the Oklahoma playoff film. He doesn't defend well on runs up the middle. His east-west range is phenomenal though. He would HAVE to play WILL imo.
I doubt it would be devastating, but would be effective if froster is suspended. If FO thinks Edmunds can play Mike, move froster to Will (malcom fills in suspension ), win win.
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:05 AM ]
Originally posted by JimmyJesus:
I doubt it would be devastating, but would be effective if froster is suspended. If FO thinks Edmunds can play Mike, move froster to Will (malcom fills in suspension ), win win.

Edmunds lack of instincts are alarming. It's like pocket awareness for QB's. That's something you just can't teach.

I'm worried we are going to fall in love with his side/speed ratio and ignore what's between the ears.

It's the same reason guys like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell get drafted over the guys like Tom Brady and Kirk Cousins.

Don't over think it.
Vita Vea!! 🤘😡🤘
Edmunds lack of instincts are alarming. It's like pocket awareness for QB's. That's something you just can't teach.

I'm worried we are going to fall in love with his side/speed ratio and ignore what's between the ears.

It's the same reason guys like Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell get drafted over the guys like Tom Brady and Kirk Cousins.

Don't over think it.

Same things were said about Anthony Barr and look how well he's turned out for Minnesota. 3 time Pro Bowler.

The reason I'd go with Edmunds over Smith is because he pairs well with Foster. You can play him at any lb spot. I think that's worth gambling on his instincts should we value lb in the 1st.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Same things were said about Anthony Barr and look how well he's turned out for Minnesota. 3 time Pro Bowler.

The reason I'd go with Edmunds over Smith is because he pairs well with Foster. You can play him at any lb spot. I think that's worth gambling on his instincts should we value lb in the 1st.

PFF had Barr ranked as the 43rd best LB with a grade of 71.4. I don't get the hype with him. Plus he is surrounded by elite players in Minnesota where a blown play won't be as recognizable.

I compare Roquan Smith to Lavonte David who was ranked as the #2 LB with a grade of 94.2
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 28, 2018 at 8:10 AM ]
PFF had Barr ranked as the 43rd best LB with a grade of 71.4. I don't get the hype with him. Plus he is surrounded by elite players in Minnesota where a blown play won't be as recognizable.

I compare Roquan Smith to Lavonte David who was ranked as the #2 LB with a grade of 94.2

On Jan 11th 2018 Barr had 80.5 pff grade. End of the year it's revised to 71.4.

How seriously can you take them with that kind of goofiness? I use pff too so I don't fault you for using them but there's better evidence of play.

Pro Bowler on a top ranked d. I'll take that but yeah all d's need talent all around.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 28, 2018 at 8:31 AM ]
If the draft we need a:

-LEO. Could be just a situational pass down rusher.
-guard with all-pro potential
-OT that can be the heir of Staley and serve as a swing tackle because Gilliam sucks and i dont trust him.
-Long rangy CB in the mold of Sherman that we can get in the middle-late rounds.
-RB in the mid-late rounds
-6'4+ WR
-LB that can play both middle and weak side. Will battle it out with Coyle for Foster's stand-in while he serves a suspension and be insurance in case of injury

We need to not enter the season with Tomlinson and Kolton Miller starting on the oline
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
We need to not enter the season with Tomlinson and Kolton Miller starting on the oline

Agreed. That would be a FAIL.

I dont think it will happen but if both Roquan and Landry are there, how would Kyle and john figure that out.? What would they do and why. One is a better pick than the other situationally, so what would they do? For that to happen someone else would have to get into the QB line, and take one more QB...but i don't see that. It probably will be one or the other, not both. And i suspect that 's how they make their decision. Who is still there. Fortunately we win either way.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Agreed. That would be a FAIL.

I dont think it will happen but if both Roquan and Landry are there, how would Kyle and john figure that out.? What would they do and why. One is a better pick than the other situationally, so what would they do? For that to happen someone else would have to get into the QB line, and take one more QB...but i don't see that. It probably will be one or the other, not both. And i suspect that 's how they make their decision. Who is still there. Fortunately we win either way.

That's definitely the upside.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
If the draft we need a:

-LEO. Could be just a situational pass down rusher.
-guard with all-pro potential
-OT that can be the heir of Staley and serve as a swing tackle because Gilliam sucks and i dont trust him.
-Long rangy CB in the mold of Sherman that we can get in the middle-late rounds.
-RB in the mid-late rounds
-6'4+ WR
-LB that can play both middle and weak side. Will battle it out with Coyle for Foster's stand-in while he serves a suspension and be insurance in case of injury

6'3" is tall enough.
You guys are making this too complicated

All we have to do is score more points than the other team

GG EZ
Share 49ersWebzone