There are 276 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 150 Board

Originally posted by miked1978:
MadDog, would your opinion change on the #9 pick, Roquon Smith, if Rueben Foster wasn't such of an idiot off the field? For instance would you lean more towards Landry/Davenport?

You probably know I was down on Foster at this time last year, and thought the pick was a mistake late in the first. If he was a clean player in the draft last year, he was 3rd best on my board. I believed his character issues would continue into the NFL.

Even when Foster was playing well and clean (to our knowledge), to me, he is always a risk to blow up at any moment, so there is never long-term security at the position. Foster is just a guy to me. He is going to play, get in trouble, get suspended, play, get in trouble..continue the cycle.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hey MadDog, who is your draft crush this year?
Last year, it was Forrest Lamp, Kareem Hunt, Cooper Kupp, Blair Brown. Some really good college players who grind out every ounce of their energy on the field.

This year it is The guard class of 2018. So many really great players. Q. Nelson, C. Williams, Wynn, W. Hernandez, B. Smith, F. Ragnow (if he slid over from center). This is the best guard draft class in my 30+ years of doing this. All of these guys are inside my top 30 best overall players. We could see four of these guys taken before the first OT.

Some of the guys who bust it on the field, and would love to go to war with: Nwosu, Jewell, M. Cole, S. Moore. I like these dudes a lot. Give me some guys who love football.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 9, 2018 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
MD,
Since you're suggesting R. Smith at #9 (in the Smith thread), are you also suggesting the 9ers take:

59 Uchenna Nwosu USC LB

to rush the passer?

I love Nwosu. Kid fights on every down.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Difficult year to estimate between 15 and 64. Lots of Gs, DBs, RBs and WRs with 32 teams picking their favorite flavor.

True.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Chark vs St. Brown....if both are available who are you picking?

Haven't done an extensive look at the WRs yet. Still spending loads of time at DL and LB. But, from a preliminary look, St. Brown. Simply runs a more complete route tree. Chark is somewhat one dimensional in being a deep threat. St. Brown the better route runner. Neither had any help from their QBs this year.
Nice work, MadDog! Can't wait to see your final 256 plus the Best Player Board. Appreciate the effort every year.
MD, How many of your top 150 did you hit on last year?
Originally posted by hightop:
R.Smith followed by Nwosu is an interesting notion Hof,where (and who )do you see CB reinforcement entering into that scenario?

It's not my notion, but I wondered whether it was Maddog's idea. He supports Nwosu (post #33). Now with the release of Dumervil, I'm more concerned about the Niners' pass rush than before. I don't see a LB (R. Smith) as high on the team's needs. LB, CB and interior OL can be addressed at least partly in FA. Pass rush, not so much. But to answer your question, according to MD's board, Tony Brown and K. Tolliver could go by one of our 3rd round picks. And a C/G with the other. But it wouldn't be my first choice.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Mar 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM ]
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice work, MadDog! Can't wait to see your final 256 plus the Best Player Board. Appreciate the effort every year.

Agree, way more credible than the mass media stuff (ESPN, NFL.com, etc.)
Originally posted by hightop:
R.Smith followed by Nwosu is an interesting notion Hof,where (and who )do you see CB reinforcement entering into that scenario?

It's not my notion, but I wondered whether it was Maddog's idea. He supports Nwosu (post #33). Now with the release of Dumervil, I'm more concerned about the Niners' pass rush than before. I don't see a LB (R. Smith) as high on the team's needs. LB, CB and interior OL can be addressed at least partly in FA. Pass rush, not so much. But to answer your question, according to MD's board, Tony Brown and K. Tolliver could go by one of our 3rd round picks. And a C/G with the other. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

I see,I actually like both players and agree with MD on the importance of leadership as well as ability qualities they both possess.Thanks for the response,by the way are you the same Hofer that posted at the Democrat in the M.M.days?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by thl408:
Good stuff MD.
Looking at the 60-80 range where the 49ers have three picks to use, I see a couple OT prospects (O'Niell, Okorafor). Are those two guys truly worthy of their late 2nd/3rd round grade or is it a poor OT class in the mid rounds?

It is a poor OT draft period. I don't have one guy projected to go in the first round if you classify Williams as a guard, which I do.

O'Neill is still learning how to play OT, and needs a ton of work. He was really bad at times during Senior Bowl practice and in the game. Okorafor is strictly a RT prospect in my eyes. Flashes some really good play at times, and then struggles. Inconsistency is a big problem.

Because it is such a terrible class, it gives guys like Kolton Miller the chance to be drafted way earlier than in a normal year. The interior linemen are great this year...the guys outside are pretty messy.
Yeah I've read from yourself and others that the interior OL class is good. Was hoping to draft Staley's understudy this year. Maybe not.

I was hoping the same thing too. Drat.
MadDog
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
MD,
Since you're suggesting R. Smith at #9 (in the Smith thread), are you also suggesting the 9ers take:

59 Uchenna Nwosu USC LB

to rush the passer?

I love Nwosu. Kid fights on every down.

Me too. I would love to get him in the 3rd round! Maybe even the 2nd
Canus Furiousus, As always, thank you much for all your work.

BTW, how might you rate the overall talent level of this years draft class against last year ?
MD, do you have any reservations about Nwosu's makeup/commitment to football?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Thanks. As always, would love to hear your thoughts
Share 49ersWebzone