There are 215 users in the forums

RB Watch List

Depending on the play of Hyde and his contract demands...and how Williams fixes whatever he's having issues with, chances are good we go back to RB again next year.

Derrius Guice | RB | LSU | Junior Guice was more impressive than Leonard Fournette in 2016. It was obvious. Even in 2015, when Fournette was 100 percent healthy, Guice, then a freshman, had his fair share of eye-popping runs when he averaged 8.5 yards per carry on 51 rushes. At 5-foot-11 and 222 pounds, Guice packs plenty of power yet has sudden agility, elite vision, and deceptive breakaway speed to round out his complete game.

Saquon Barkley | RB | Penn State | Junior Guice and Barkley will have a tremendous battle to take the crown as the nation's top running back in 2017. Barkley has averaged 5.7 yards per carry on his 454 rushes in his two season at Penn State, and he's scored 25 touchdowns on the ground. He's 5-foot-11 and 223 pounds and runs with a balance, low center of gravity, and the ability to make a cut on a dime. In the open field, he's dangerously elusive with keen vision, and he possesses good long speed. Barkley has "NFL feature back" written all over him.

Royce Freeman | RB | Oregon | Senior With Oregon's down 2016 and myriad running backs piecing together fine seasons, Freeman was overlooked last year. After totaling 3,100 total rushing yards in his first two seasons for the Ducks, his workload was scaled back, and he played in 11 games, rushing for 945 yards on 168 carries with nine touchdowns. Freeman has a style reminiscent of former Oregon star Jonathan Stewart. He has a big but compact frame and consistently shows off impressive change-of-direction skills and vision.

Ronald Jones | RB | USC | Junior No running back kicks it from first gear to second gear faster than Jones, and his top gear is scintillating. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, Jones has a skinnier build, but he's flourished between the tackles in his first two years at USC. Last year he had 1,082 yards at 6.1 yards per carry with 12 rushing touchdowns.

Nick Chubb | RB | Georgia | Senior Chubb has had an amazing and interesting career at Georgia. He looked Herschel Walker-esque during his freshman season, rushing for 1,547 yards and 14 touchdowns at a 7.1 yards-per-carry clip. He picked up right where he left off in 2015 but a knee injury derailed a sophomore campaign in which he averaged 8.1 yards per. Last year, he ran at 5.0 yards per carry but improved his power at the point of contact. Many were stunned when he decided to return for his senior year. There's an NFL feature-back amount of talent within this 5-foot-11, 228-pound running back.

Bo Scarbrough | RB | Alabama | Junior When healthy, Scarbrough looked liked a supercharged version of Derrick Henry. In the College Football Playoff semifinal against Washington, he ran for 180 yards on 19 carries with two scores and appeared nearly impossible to bring to the turf. At 6-foot-2 and upwards of 230 pounds, Scarbrough is a tank with rocket boosters.

Sony Michel | RB | Georgia | Senior Michel has seemingly been at Georgia forever, mainly because he proved to be special right away in Athens. A former five-star recruit, Michel has 17 rushing touchdowns and a 5.5 yards-per-carry average on his 434 rushes in college. He wins with burst and change-of-direction ability. Now he's upwards of 222 pounds. Michel and Chubb are the best running back tandem in college football heading into the 2017 campaign.

Myles Gaskin | RB | Washington | Junior As Washington emerged as the premier team in the Pac 12 a season ago, Gaskin helped an underrated ground game, quietly piecing together his second consecutive 1,300-yard campaign. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound back runs hard between the tackles and has some wiggle in space. He has 24 rushing touchdowns in two seasons with the Huskies.

Akrum Wadley | RB | Iowa | Senior It's easy for Wadley to be overshadowed as a running back in the Big 10, with Saquon Barkley leading the way and a few other talented ball-carriers at other programs. But Wadley possesses the gifts to flash Barkley-like runs. In his final three games of 2016, he toted the rock 46 times for 302 yards (6.5 YPC) with a pair of scores. Don't sleep on the 5-foot-11, 195-pounder.

Kalen Ballage | RB | Arizona State | Senior Ballage wasn't nearly as decorated as a high school recruit and hasn't had the same success as Leonard Fournette in college, but the 6-foot-3, 230-pound locomotive has comparable power and speed to that of the No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 draft. His career stats aren't tremendous, but he did show versatility in 2016, as he totaled 469 yards on 44 receptions to go with his 536 yards on 125 carries.

Mike Weber | RB | Ohio State | RS Sophomore As a redshirt freshman in 2016, the speedy Weber eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark at 6.0 yards per carry with nine touchdowns. His final 16 carries only went for 50 yards, yet he demonstrated big-play ability throughout the rest of the season. He and Parris Campbell will shoulder the load for the Buckeyes this season.

Damien Harris | RB | Alabama | Junior After just 46 carries as a freshman in 2015, Harris had 1,037 yards on 7.1 yards per carry with two scores a season ago. At 5-foot-11 and 214 pounds, he's not a massive as Derrick Henry or Bo Scarbrough. However, Harris brings the electricity down the field with impressive quickness and good long speed.

Lavon Coleman | RB | Washington | Senior Myles Gaskin is the headliner in the Huskies backfield, but his running back mate will garner attention from NFL scouts too. Coleman ran for 852 yards on just 114 carries with seven rushing touchdowns in 2016. He's a boulder at 5-foot-11 and 228 pounds.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Sep 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM ]
I think Barkley is a much better prospect than Fournette. I'm not too psyched about drafting a RB in the top 10 but I would not complain if the 49ers drafted him. He looks like an absolute stud of a RB and would be a great fit for this scheme, I just don't see Shanahan ever drafting a RB that early, but if there was a time to start, it would be with Barkley.

I think Guice is a better, more complete back than Fournette as well. LSU just loaded with top end RB's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM ]
Is that from a website
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Is that from a website

everything has been pulled from draftscout
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Barkley is a much better prospect than Fournette. I'm not to psyched about drafting a RB in the top 10 but I would not complain if the 49ers drafted him. He looks like an absolute stud of a RB and would be a great fit for this scheme, I just don't see Shanahan ever drafting a RB that early, but if there was a time to start, it would be with Barkley.

I think Guice is a better, more complete back than Fournette as well. LSU just loaded with top end RB's.

I agree, I think Barkley is going to be a star in the NFL..
The top of the RB class is amazing. I love Guice and Barkley is an animal.

But I know Shanahans don't use early picks on RB. No point in getting my hopes up.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM ]
Also, a guy to keep an eye on is Ralph Webb from Vanderbilt. He has been a very productive back for them but in particular, the few games I saw of them, dude was killing it on the outside zone. They had some excellent tackle play but he was finding his way to the outside and creating huge gains, running very decisively.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM ]
Saquon Barkley is the real deal, to see him on the 9ers would be a dream come true...Go Penn St! Go 49ers!
Missed Barkley in the initial pull. Updated the list.
Originally posted by 49ersFanCJinPA:
Saquon Barkley is the real deal, to see him on the 9ers would be a dream come true...Go Penn St! Go 49ers!

This is who Barkley reminds me of.

Originally posted by 49ersFanCJinPA:

that's very high praise but I could see it, but watching Tomlinsons highlights only reminds me of how great he was..seems kind of underrated...
Originally posted by jreff22:
Missed Barkley in the initial pull. Updated the list.

Great addition jreff22

Granted I'm alil partial but i think a Barkley/Shanny combo would be deadly for the rest of the NFL. Not only is Barkley a good all-around back but I think he's the best receiving back coming out of college this yr which puts him on top of the rest
Barkley kinda reminds me of a Roger Craig actually, I'm sure I'll get ripped but hes a terrific receiver as well
I'm pulling for Chubb

LT did my Connally Cadets dirty in his Nike commercial.
Share 49ersWebzone